1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Dream Computer

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Praetor, May 29, 2004.

1. hoddey

hoddey Regular member

thank you sammorris all i need was a Pinyin thank you

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

pinyin? sorry you've lost me...

3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

O-pinyin as an opinion. LOL

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I just got some DDR 400, so it isn't a problem. I have built 4800 systems with the A8N32-SLI board. It's a great combo, but not in the league with the Core 2 Duo, but not in the same price category either. With a new build it would pay to go with the Intel. But if you already have everything to build the AMD, it doesn't make sense to try to send everything back. Most places do exchanges, but don't give you a complete refund. If nothing else, you're usually charged a restocking fee. It would be simple to just exchange the DDR2 for DDR. I don't know of many vendors not handling DDR. That particular board was built with the Corsair PC3500LLPro in mind. 2x1GB is hard to find, but last I checked the 2x512MB pro was still available retail. The DDR 400 works good, but the timing isn't as tight.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, I echo that opinion, that system is best built as DDR1, you don't lose that much performance out of it as long as you get decent memory.

6. ILL-C

ILL-C Member

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That seems a reasonable upgrade, but if you can, I'd recommend getting a Dual core CPU, once you do you'll never look back.

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

ILL-C
    A lot depends on whether or not you want to upgrade or do a complete (or almost complete) build. Upgrades are usually less expensive. But Sammorriss is right about the Intel platform being the performance leader at this point. We're still wondering about AMD's attempt to reclaim the crown. It's been about 7 or 8 months now. I wonder if AMD thought Intel could pull it off. They were poking fun at Conroe just before the big release.

Newegg stopped selling your board and the link is gone.
    For the 939s I prefer one of the Asus A8N boards.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

the ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe MB Socket 939 is the one to get

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

abcd
    With the 8 phase power management, NF chipset, and full 16X SLI capability, I think the A8N32-SLI is a highend choice for the 939 socket CPU. It's a bit pricey though. I usually use it for more upscale builds. It just depends on what the end user wants to pay for. Since Asrock was a first choice and an inexpensive 3800 was the CPU, I'm thinking the system is being built on the cheap.

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Keep rotating the Adriana pics. LOL

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yeah i think that board is down to like 179.00 which isnt to bad.

this way i can keep the mods busy checking the sigs everyday lol. but i kinda really like this one so i may leave it up awhile

13. ILL-C

ILL-C Member

Yeah that is a better board but I didn't want to do away with my graphic card just yet. And it's a XFX 6200 which has a AGP 8X interface. though I know the PCI Express 16X would be a be a better performing card then the AGP I got.

14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

With AGP being older tech, it's getting difficult to find a more modern board to support it and the newer processors. I left my last AGP in a P4 build and moved on.

15. shuboy00

shuboy00 Member

Same here. I am using the Nforce 680i SLi...nice board...

16. forkndave

forkndave Member

@ILL-C
    NewEgg has been out of that ASRock board that you want for a while now. I've been looking for an 939 pin AGP board for my granddaughter's computer for a while and I haven't had any luck. I ordered an ASUS A8V-MX from http://www.technologydepot.net and they promptly put it on backorder. As far as I know they are still advertising them even though they don't have any and aren't likely to get any more. I don't think there is anyone manufacturing these boards any more. Good luck if you find one. I'll still be looking for a little longer since I'm too cheap to buy a video card that I don't need.

Dave

17. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

18. forkndave

forkndave Member

I don't know if I'll get it, but I just ordered a Gigabyte GA-K8U-939 from http://www.ewiz.com. It was only $50.00 plus shipping. I'll probably get an email tomorrow telling me that they don't have any. There are a few web sites that show this board for sale. Whether they actually have any is another story. Oh well.

Dave
    Incidentally, This is my 500th post. It's only taken me 3 1/2 years to reach this lofty number. Maybe I'll reach addict status in another 10 or 15 years if I live that long.

19. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Congratulations. Posts in the safety valve aren't supposed to count. So if you posted any there, you may need to rack up some more numbers just to become a senior.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe, remember it's quality that counts!