1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Dream Computer

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Praetor, May 29, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes but that's down to personal taste.

2. jbrann

jbrann Guest

iwas wondering i am building a computer with a quad 2.4 intel a 640 mb vid 8gb gaming ram 500gb sata a msi 975x platnium powerup edition and a dvd cd burner with lightscribe and a thermatake armor with 2 90mm fans 2 120 mmfans and a big 250 mm all with blue leds i would appreciate if you could help me ive looked everywhere for the requirements please email me at jbrann_04572@yahoo.com ty

3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

What requirements are you referring to?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unless you want to be spammed for all eternity, remove your email address from that post!

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Where do we start?
    OK, the Basic building blocks of your system.

Motherboard: I don't know what the power-up version is... it looks like this one:
    MSI 975X Platinum V.2 LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130051

Reasonable price, reviews.. not wonderful.

RAM, 8Gb? Why? You sure don't need that much. Anything over 3 is not used by 32 bit OS. 2Gb of good RAM is all you would need for a 32 bit OS or possibly 4 for Vista. That being said, You can always add more later, if you need it.

CPU. I have an Quad 6700 and it's great for most things, but what a crappy overclocker compared to the C2Ds, especially the newer 1333 FSB versions. You better get a great heatsink for it if you OC, even if you don't, get one. The stock Intel HSs really do suck.
    Zalmans look cool and work pretty good. The Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme works better than those do.
    I'd also take a look at this one:
    ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

You get a great deal on a proven performer for $19.99.

With the money you save by not buying 8 Gb RAM you can get a second
    video card!!
    I use these in SLI and am happy with them:
    ASUS EN8800GTS/HTDP/640M GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card.

You could also run a single 8800 GTX or Ultra. I would not run two video cards on that mobo. High end video cards deserve something better.
    I prefer SLI so that's going to be a Striker or some other 680i or 650i board. I wouldn't use a 650i either for SLI. You can run crossfire with a few of different intel chipsets... like the P35 board and get the 1333 FSB for future use.
    Of course if you run dual 8800 videocards in crossfire or SLI you are going to need a good power supply, something 700 Watts or preferably bigger.

I use an Enermax Galaxy 850 Watt PSU. There are better ones I suppose, PC Power and Cooling are supposed to be good. I'm getting one of those for my Penryn build in January.

500 Gb HDD. I'd try a:
    HITACHI Deskstar T7K500 HDT725050VLA360 (0A33437) 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145137

I used the 320 Gb version in my last build and it is a good drive so far.

For my two fast PCs I run a pair of 150 Gb WD Sata Raptors. I have one set up as RAID 0, another as JBOD, and really don't see much difference. I suppose that would depend on what you were doing with it.

For a DVD burner, get this one:
    SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151153

This is a very nice burner for the price. I just installed one in my last build a couple of day ago and it is very quiet and smooth. I burned a few DVDs with it and have no complaints. Maximum PC magazine likes it too.

Anyhow,
    I think all you wanted was PSU requirements so for what you have listed, 640 Watts would do the job. The 8800 GTS series cards lists 500 Watts as a minimum requirement for system power.
    Here's a chart with video cards and power requirements:
    http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=9354

BTW, you do need to remove your email address.
    Click the edit post link at the top right of your original post to do so.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe, showoff!
    :p

7. tripplite

tripplite Guest

SUPERHORNET

not my mod, kudos to the man who made it!!!

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

The FX-60 is a nice processor, but a C2D could make it more powerful.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That and the fact he uses a BlackIce radiator. From what I've heard you can do far better.

10. tripplite

tripplite Guest

you cant get better then the superhornet, just stop denying it and get down on you knees and start worshiping its awe and beauty, there is no escaping the superhornet, no survivors.....

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

... Only if one falls prey to case mods and a slick paint job. As for myself, I'd rather have a black box with a highend platform on the inside. Sadly the FX-60 is a gen or more old and doesn't cut it as a top end performer. When AMD gets off the pot and builds a competitor for Intel's C2D tech, then I'll consider building another AMD performance system. As it stands, Intel is once again the big dog and AMD is on the porch. The hornet is cute, but this one doesn't have the sting of a C2D.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol ouch! Now that's a put down!
    As for me, you don't have to go as far as a custom paint job and case build for your PC to be individual. Go with a case that isn't run of the mill, and illuminate it to your own personal taste. You still have the humbling feeling that there's no PC in the whole world that's exactly the same as yours.

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

sammorris
    I wasn't trying to put anything down. I was just stating the obvious. AMD is lagging behind.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed. Let's hope that changes soon.

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

At first I thought AMD might have something in the works to rival C2D. As time wore on, it's become apparent they didn't. Now we're waiting for R&D at AMD to come up with something. So far AMD competition has been somewhat lame. In the past, without competition, Intel has been guilty of some questionable market practices, including some price gouging. If for nothing else, we need AMD to come through to keep the prices reasonable.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

AMD seem to be on the receiving end of questionable market practices quite often. First there's all the anti-trust about Intel, and there's also the same from nvidia. Of course, when it first happened (read: the Geforce FX 3dmark scandal) it was ATI who had to deal with it. FAR superior products like the 9800Pro losing out to the lousy FX5800XT because of spoofed 3dmark scores in the drivers. Then there's the same now. The 8800GT drivers are modified to artificially give higher frame rates in Crysis at the expense of image quality. It tires me.

17. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I think part of the situation was AMD trying to attack Intel any way they could. Things quietened down a bit while AMD was the industry leader in performance systems. AMD is large enough they can no longer get away with the "big bad blue giant" stories. AMD is big enough to take care of itself. They did help keep Intel honest as far as pricing goes. I suspect Intel even did some dumping to hurt AMD sales. For us consumers, we need both companies doing well. I don't like monopolies or a market where we only have one leading supplier. It leads to inferior quality at higher prices.

18. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

my dream system will be for now is a

Phenom X4 9900
    Gigabyte AMD 790FX chipset mobo
    G.Skill 4GB(2x 2GB)kit...two of those = 8GB
    2 x SG 500GB
    700w/750w PSU
    Antec 900/Thermaltake Kandalf case
    4x HD3850 512MB gpu

wow what a build

19. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Why a 3850? The 3870 is better and has more ram...

20. tripplite

tripplite Guest

keep in mind Intel has much more money/resources then them, also the superhornet can be bumped up to a better motherboard allowing different
    processor sets, its very versatile and can keep up with the times........to bad theres only one......