1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Dream Computer

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Praetor, May 29, 2004.

1. TheftAuto

TheftAuto Regular member

cept for the 3870's.....why get a $1600 processor, only to get second rate video cards?

Also I wouldn't get the skulltrail board...I hear there is lots of little finicky things to deal with on it.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol now that's just fanboyism... The HD3870s may be a bit buggy, but when they're in their stride, they can really pull some big numbers.

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

3870X2 TIMES TWO, FOR Quadfire.

thats why they are there. becuase the skull trail cant do Quad SLI

4. TheftAuto

TheftAuto Regular member

I think the 9800's are better than the 3870's from a numbers perspective...same with some randoms here (http://forum.ncix.com/forums/index.php?mode=showthread&forum=215&threadid=1629846&pagenumber=1&msgcount=4&subpage=1)
    but also most places on the net...and I think its the fan boys actually who think the 3870's perform better than the 9800s. Apparently the 3870 perform better in 3dmark slightly, while the 9800's perform significantly better in the actual games and not through a synthetic benchmark, which has little to do with real world performance.

Kinda of like the difference between Xbox and PS
    Xbox 1 was better in terms of technology than the PS2, hands down.
    PS3 is better in terms of technology than Xbox 360, hands down.
    You can be a fan of whatever system you like..in terms of games avaliable, and multiplayer online yadda yadda...but performance is...well performance

Anyways I would ditch the skulltrail and 3870's on a "dream machine" and get a 790i and some 9800's...I think it would be a better performing "dream machine",

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

omg, 3870 X2, not jsut a 3870.

and no this would out perform the 790i, as half the time, the 790i wont OC, or if they do provide headaches with stability.

yes graphically haveing Quad-sli 9800GX2 would be much better than Quadfire 3870X2, but in other (folding, decoding encoding etc) the skulltrail system would win. also for OCability, i would always choose an intel chipset, due to stability.

yes, i maybe an ATI fanboy, but if nvidia can sort out drivers, id jump to their far superior products (note atm, i am using a 7800GT)

oh and the Xenos GPU in the 360, is superior to the 7800GT in the PS3, but the cell processor and XDRAM are much better than the eDRAM and the Xenon Processors in the 360.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Anyone who likens comparing graphics cards to comparing consoles is stupid, the arguments are completely different. Solo, the 9800GX2 is better than the HD3870X2, but due to the comparative effectiveness of Quad crossfire, for the ultimate PC, two 3870X2s will beat two 9800GX2s for several reasons.

7. TheftAuto

TheftAuto Regular member

But how much of a difference is there in OCability to make having the 3870 X2's over quad slis??? Also, I think its the eVGA's that are having the stability problems, and the XFX releases of the 790i are supposed to be better. Anyways Im not so sure as far as graphics OCing go, but the 790i's can easily overclock a q6600 to 3.6GHz which is alot from 2.4 (on air),

Anyways Im not too into this, so you likely know more than I do, but I've been researchign and reading lots of persay "internet chit-chat-crap" and the skulltrail apparently is an intel downfall while the 3870 X@ doesn't compare to an 9800 GX2 in games

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I agree with XFX being better than EVGA, however, getting a Q6600 to 3.6G isn't especially difficult, even a low end P35 board can do it easy.

I don't claim to know anything about Skulltrail, but I wouldn't certainly advise against an SLI board in any "dream" machine.

9. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

no the 3870x2 doesnt compare to the 9800GX2 in games, (although will DESTORY it in folding at home)

and most nvidia chipsets, are unstable, and with having first hand experiance (and so does sam), are not as good as their intel compadres.

if you can get an nvidia board to work (DO NOT GO FOR ASUS OR EVGA) it will OC superbly, and be the best chipset you can get. but its a handfull that do. thats the problem.

and the x48 chipset is alot better for storage due to the ICH9R southbridgde. I/O devices are quicker, as are HDDs.

10. TheftAuto

TheftAuto Regular member

Quote" This is really just a server board with SLI and Crossfire. No other modifications seem to have been made, which, leaves you with outdated PCI-E slots (1.1) and the limits on memory. Hopefully 8 core processors will eliminate the need for this type of board soon or Intel will release and actual extreme desktop board with all the features up to date for dual processors. LGA 775, DDR3 1600, and PCI-E 2.0"

Anyways I'm a n00b....,but most places tend to agree the skulltrail was a pitfall from the moment it was concieved. All I do all day is read reviews on comp for this stuff

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That doesn't make you an expert - far from it. However, I will agree that Skulltrail doesn't seem an ideal gaming board.

Oh, and shaff you know that 'dead' A8R-MVP?

Actually just one of the PCIe 16x slots and the front USB header don't work - the rest is still running, now the GPU's in slot 2.

12. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i dont think many of us qualify for experts. but hands on is the best way to gain experiance, not paid for reviews.

and sam....OMG

HAHA

hows that work then HAHA

why not get it RMAed then. broken pci lane (which will be form the NB/SB) is a reason to.

i feel it for you though. you and asus = me and xblade

lol

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As I said before, I'm not spending the vast amount to get the board sent to the US when I might not see it until Autumn.

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

well get a replacement first

and then ebay it or the replacemnt :)

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't need the second PCIe slot. Until it dies altogether I'm keeping it. By the time the warranty's out on the board I'll probably want to change socket.

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

The Ultimate Dream Computer:
    1) One that works, outperforms all others, can be built for a pittance, and has a 60" monitor for gaming fun.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Now that's a dream lol.

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

well im sure you could, if you wanted a computer that was the best in 2000 xD

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You know, I have NEVER posted in this thread. That's so weird.

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

boozer, add a ultmaite get up then :)its customary :p