1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Dream Computer

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Praetor, May 29, 2004.

1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I missed that; he can edit his too; gets a bit old chasing people around, especially when i'm busy sorting out a build.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Fair enough, what you up to with yours Creaky? (Who knows, you may have told me and me forgotten) I know users aren't meant to 'do the job' of moderators, but I like to think hinting at people gets them to change things without mods having to spend all day all night combing the site for cusses and inappropriate thread titles, all that, and plus it gives them a bit of extra lea-way before they ban themselves... :p

3. creaky

i'm just re-doing one of my C2D machines, putting Mandriva 2008.1 back on there.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah right. One of how many? lol

5. creaky

I've only 4 of them :p

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol. Kind of puts my upgrade plan into perspective...

7. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

well this old video-card runs all the games i play fine (Call Of Duty 4,Battlefield 2 and Ghost Recon)I don't game all that much, so i really see no need to get a new one until i have to. and as far as the Ram I'm running its pretty good stuff. most of us run the Corsair so thats an insult to everyone in here. BTW I would put my PC up against yours any-day!! Maybe you should do the right thing and edit your post!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol! I've just seen what RAM you use Zoso, I'd probably vote that the best RAM of the lot! What a nub...

9. spamual

spamual Guest

my ram is running much better :p

Geil Black dragons at 2.1Vs runnign at 1130 555 15, rated to run 1066 555 15 at 2.2

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A rather interesting question to ask, does anyone know if Thermalright's stock thermal compound is any good? Turns out all three of my tubes of Arctic silver V have gone missing.
    No matter, as the CPU still hasn't turned up yet - worse, the £22 charge for shipping was correct, I just didn't read the TnCs. No more shopping at Aria after 4pm after that...

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Zalman's Super Thermal Grease and Arctic Silver are all I'll use. Both will lower temps below most other thermal compounds used (Super Grease is easiest to apply). Last I knew, Thermalright was among the "other" compounds.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm not using it again for the simple reason that nothing comes out the tube until you push hard - then guess what happens...
    I spent quite a while cleaning it out one of my PCIe 1x slots...

13. TheftAuto

TheftAuto Regular member

14. TheftAuto

TheftAuto Regular member

1066MHz??? Not that great. Especially for DDR2. That crap is cheap.
    Corsair does make some of the best memory, but that doesn't mean everything of theres is elite.

1600Mhz is alot more responses, plus there is another clock...that is besides the fact that his ram requires more voltage. His RAM is not as good performance wise as mine, where do you get that from? His processor is ocd to the same speed as mine, and well...his video card sure doesn't match up.

His computer does not perform as good as mine.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Mate, I use 800mhz memory, which is still running at slack timings and underspeed (720mhz) because I've used all-auto settings for my overclock, and my PC still goes like a rocket. For one 1066 RAM isn't bad, and for two, please stop swearing.

You use DDR3 which means you paid too much and got uber-slack memory that performs similarly to older DDR2 let alone newer 1066 stuff, and as for this:
    that's just downright bragging and rude...
    Besides, mine has them all beat... :p nah, jk.

16. TheftAuto

TheftAuto Regular member

No it doesn't work like that.

From what I read (and what I know about electronics), DDR2 at 1066 doesn't perform as well as DDR3 at 1066. Besides the fact that mine is at 1600Mhz, it doesn't perform as well. 1066DDR2 is alright, but not for me, especially since 1600Mhz and 2000Mhz DDR2 is fairly cheap in regards to how fast it is, I wouldn't waste my money on "regular" RAM, which is what that is. I thought this was the dream computer thread..guess not. The only reason I came out viciously, was because some nob started insulting me for my PSU, which again, is better than his.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As far as I can remember, DDR3 is quad speed rather than dual speed, so to run at the same efficiency as DDR2 it has to be twice as fast, so you effectively have PC6400 CAS7. Of course it's nowhere near as bad as that, but nonetheless I wouldn't necessarily say 1600mhz DDR3 is leaps and bounds ahead of DDR2, not when it's $250 vs the $140 of the same amount of Corsair Dominator 8500.

besides, this is the dream computer thread, not the 'my computer' thread...

18. TheftAuto

TheftAuto Regular member

No it doesn't work like that.

There is 3 clocks, with a 1600Mhz frequency response.
    while with DDR2 there is 2 clocks, with a 1066 frequency response.
    So for every rising and falling edge of the clock of the DDR, DDR2 has two, and DDR3 has 3. The amount of data you can send through the RAM at a time is amazing in DDR3, speed and cycle aside, it performs better. This is besides the fact that DDR3 uses less voltage and is more stable.

You'll want a DDR3 and DDR3 MB soon enough here.

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

TheftAuto, they dont MAKE 2000mhz DDR2. Where do you get your info from?

Oh and his computer IS faster than yours convertings videos and stuff. He has a better CPU and motherboard. Not everyone games...

20. TheftAuto

TheftAuto Regular member

He has a better CPU, but his CPU is currently the same speed at 3.4GHz...so its the same.
    And the motherboard is debatable. I have better ram, and video card. It isn't better.

For converting videos it is mostly the CPU, but it does involve RAM. The differences in the FSB response between MB is very minor.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008