1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Dream Computer

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Praetor, May 29, 2004.

1. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I ran dual Intel Xeons for a while, but i wasnt really noticing any performance increase that was beneficial to me. As for keeping my PC at its optimum...yeah, i tend run quite a lot of Spyware, Ad-Aware, Anti-Hijack tools as well as the latest Antivirus software from Trend & MacAfee. However, i think really, the key to it is to not have to many pieces of software installed as some may conflict and to periodically do a format an re-install using Mad Boot 8.0 - ok it takes nearly 24 hours, but your hard drive is like new....

Chris

P.S. Dont believe there is a mobo for two P4's, it might have to be Xeons for you lol, but i wouldnt recommend it...

2. JayD1056

JayD1056 Guest

yeah, as far as i knew the hardware is still relativly new. Stickin to single core P4 for me. I've come to believe that dual processer is going to be the way to go. we (as a planet) are running out of materials that can stand temps of 200F (93.33C) and we won't be able to ever hit speeds that we can easily put 2 slower processers together. It's just more practical.

P.S. i'm aware of the Dual Core processers, and i'm guessing thoes are going to run hotter than ever. Need to read some reviews.

Thanks for advice.

Jay

Edit
    Found a great chart to explain my thinking
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/cpu/dual-core/04.jpg
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2005
  3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, running two processors will always give you a lot more power. My Uncle ran a system with Quad Intel Xeons and 8GB DDR Memory two give him a very fast system. It was constly though and completely unnecessary.

Multi-core performance certainly gives you that extra.

Chris

4. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Hey Oriphus, I am not a fan of cordless stuff for a couple reasons. One is batteries suck and kill the environment, two signals can be loss if the connection is not perfect (unless you have an RF wireless setup), Also its fun to hack (tap into the wireless keyboard signals).

As for HD space, I have got into miniDV and some video editing, so its really taking up the space.

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, i see the point about the batteries....it can be annoyinh, but i will be using rechargeable ones. Also, i dont think im to fussed about the hackablitly lol, i doubt anyone will know to do that on my PC. I actually do have a wireless RF set-up which will be going lol.

As for the MiniDV, good format, but you must be storing them all on the PC? AInt you heard of DVD burners lol ;-) kidding of course

Chris

6. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Hey its not all on the PC. But with school graphicall images even in zip format take up about 200Gb and now with editing video I need another 250Gb drive. You can never have too much storage space. I would like 1T drives to come out, than I wouldn't have to worry.

As for dual CPU boards I have only been able to find them for P3's. But I remember seeing it here once a Quad board set up for P4's that had 4 ram chips each. I think they exist but not common.

7. euphrus

euphrus Member

I am using my dual Xeon board now and it's definately a lot faster.
    Along with multi-tasking it also multi-processes.

But there are no P4s (non-Xeon) that will work in dual mode.
    Intel did the same thing to them that they did with the P3 Celerons.

They are wired so you can't work them in dual.

8. kinza

kinza Regular member

AMD cpus and motherboards don't support ddr2 memory.

9. WiteWizrd

WiteWizrd Regular member

well i dont know about yall, but for me...i own my dream computer.
    the only thing that would make it better is another 1 gig stick of ddr2.

my graphics card may not be completely top of the line, but its not cheap and it really doesnt matter with my speed and amount of RAM i can play HL2 and everything else iv tried with graphics full throtle and never have an issue. so i am happy to say i love her!!

10. dominator

dominator Regular member

Im pretty satisfied with my machine i recently built which was like a dream. Specs r in my signature.

11. zeph317

zeph317 Guest

I shall state my dream machine and then I would like to tap into the wealth of expertise that is out there in order to help me in choosing a monitor.

DREAM MACHINE: dual-core AMD Athlon 4000+, with 2 GB Corsair DDR2 memory, 2 - GeForce 6800 512 RAM (don't have the EXACT name in front of me but you get the idea), 36.7 GB Raptor for OS, 400 GB Raptor for the rest, Plextor DL DVD and DVD-CDRW, a illuminated keyboard that matches the KOOLance Case and the Razor optical mouse.

INQUIRY: Is there a Plasma, LCD or HDL monitor out there (or something that I have yet to hear about) that can match a CRT monitor for frame rate and overall gaming experience?

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

zeph317

You might want to up that to a 74 gig raptor, it's faster and there's not much difference in price.

For a monitor I sitll prefer high quallity CTR's, they're better for video games or editing video, higher resolution, and a better refresh rate than the current LCD's boasts.

13. zeph317

zeph317 Guest

You are the second person to nix the DDR2/AMD combo. In the June 2005 edition of Maximum PC on page 81, there is an advertisement from velocitymicro.com that has a system called Gamer's Edge DualX (for $1920). It says that system has the following: AMD Athlon 64 3500+; 1024 MB Mushkin DDR2 PC4200 Enhanced memory; 200 GB Western Digital HD; and (2) 128MB eVGA NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT. So either this isn't really a true DDR2, which would be false advertising in my opinion, or it is a mistake/typo OR you are wrong.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

wild77 has it right but the lack of DDR2 support by AMD processors is more a benefit than a fault.

I've just built a system using the Asus socket 939 A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard with the AMD 64 bit Venice core 3500+ currently overclocked to 2.5 GHZ. I'm using a pair of dual channel Corsair DDR 400 XMS TWINX2048(2 gigs)-PC3200C2. So wild77 has it right there too about support for newer processors (although it was tense until I upgraded my bios).

15. furydog

furydog Member

Here is my new system:

-Intel p4 3.7 ht extreme edition with emt 64
    -Kingston 4GB 4x1GB DDR2 PC4200 533MHz
    -Raidmax Samurai Case
    -Xconnect 500watt power supply
    -LG 19inch monitor
    -2 Plextor 712sa sata drive
    -1 nvidia geforce 7800gtx
    -2 Raptor 740 hard drives
    -Msi P4N Diamond nvidia sli ready
    -Microsoft cordless keyboard and mouse
    -Windows xp pro

I would appreciate any feed back because at my house I'm looked at as a psycho for spending so much.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

furydog

Your specs look pretty impressive but my processor (AMD64 3500 venice core currently at 2.5 GHZ) can out bench or closely match a P4 3.7 extreme edition at its current clock

Go here for my first results. I've been running stable now for several days and I'm going to bump up to 2.6 GHZ soon. The extreme edition it overpriced.

http://www.zentarium.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3297&postcount=3

Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  17. zeph317

zeph317 Guest

Sophocles,
    You still did not answer my assertion. Either the ad was a typo or there does exist some Mobo's that can support DDR2. Do you see my point? Are they just throwing this together without full utilization thus creating a weak system? I am still confused about this.

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

zeph317

The ad was wrong. Could you provide with the URL to that ad? I'd like to correct them personally.

19. zeph317

zeph317 Guest

I have the mag so i don't know the URl - sorry!

Joe

20. capoite

capoite Member

All right here is a challenge for you dreamers. I am actually going to be buying a new system, starting from scratch...and I am a newby when it comes to this as I have always had a basic pc. To the extent possible, I want to do it right the first time and not have to keep adding stuff I did know about or think about. I want to use my new system to: