1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Softmodding an XBOX Tutorial Thread

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by xSModder, Sep 1, 2005.

1. xSModder

xSModder Member

alright guys. hope you like it and hope to hell it gets stickied.

Materials you need:

Splinter Cell - The exploitable game.

A Computer - Wal-Mart, Best Buy, The Good Guys, almost any place you can get a computer.

An Action Replay - Note: You can use the ARMAX, but I have had a bad experience with it.

Ldots iTools SC 1.7(1.75, 1.8) - Note: DO NOT USE THE AUTO XBINS TOOL BY TEAM XECUTER, AS IT IS A SECURITY RISK TO YOUR COMPUTER.
    Get these through xbins. A fairly good tutorial is written in the General Discussion and stickied.

An XBOX - Well DUR!

The Official Action Replay Software - It should come with your Action Replay, as you'll need it to transfer the saves.

A XBOX Card to USB (Male) Converter - It should come with your Action Replay, as you'll need it to transfer the saves.

Softmodding the XBOX

For my tutorial, we use Splinter Cell. It can be Platinum.

If you have any older Splinter Cell saves, either back them up or delete them. Linux can be the only Splinter Cell save on your XBOX for the exploit to work.

So assuming you've got everything, what you would do, is open up your ltools_v1.7.5_SC_NTSC.rar and you will see 2 zip archives. Extract them both to a folder you can access easily.

Plug in your USB to XBOX Memory to your computer with the Action Replay memory card in.

You will now need to open up the Action Replay Software.

Go to the folder with part1.zip and part2.zip. Highlight both of them, and drag them over to the middle column of the AR software. The column should be: PC Database.

Once copied, you will see a folder at the top, "Linux Installer". Drag that over to your memory card column, and it should take a bit to copy.

When the "Linux Installer" is done copying, scroll down to Splinter Cell and drag the "Linux" save over to your memory card.

Once that is done copying, remove the card from your adapter/converter and plug it in to your XBOX controller.

Power up your XBOX and go to memory. You should see a new option to open your Memory Card. Open it.

Once opened, go to the "Linux Installer", MAKE SURE YOU CLICK RIGHT and then copy it to your XBOX.

Once the "Linux Installer" is finished, go to the Splinter Cell save "Linux". MAKE SURE YOU CLICK RIGHT and then copy it to your XBOX.

Now everything is loaded onto your XBOX. All you need to do is load Splinter Cell, PLATINUM or regular.

Once Splinter Cell loads up, go to Load, and then you will see "Linux". Load that profile, and then click start.

A screen should pop up showing a Matrix Style background, and then you should see a screen that says "Ldots iTools (version)".

Click B, and first select Backup. This will restore your XBOX just in case anything goes wrong.

Once the Backup is done, go back to the menu and go to UDE Install. Choose which UDE to install by which Kernel you have, UDE1 should be used on kernels prior to 5713 and UDE2 should be used on kernels 5713 and higher. (The UDE2 only works on USA/Canadadian xboxes).

Next it will ask you to pick a bios loader/patcher, use PBL-Metoo. It is by far the best.

After that it will tell you to choose which bios to install, use Evox M8 for version 1.6+ xboxes and X2 4981 for version 1.0 thru 1.5 xboxes.

Finally, choose EvolutionX or MXM for the dashboard. EvolutionX is the best choice but if you really want Media X Menu, go ahead. Wait for it to finish installing, when it tells you to turn off your xbox, you can then turn it off. If your screen goes black or green, it is normal, just wait for the xbox's lights to blink on and off, that signals that it is complete.

You now have a Softmodded XBOX.

If you are using a different game, the same thing applies. Such as MechAssault or Agent Under Fire.

If anyone needs to contact me, PM me for E-Mail, Yahoo!, or AIM.

Please note: I will refuse service to anyone who wants to merely use the softmod for Halo 2 hacks, Halo 2 mods, or any hacks or mods, etc.

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  2. xSModder

xSModder Member

bumped to front page.

EDIT: aww thanks for the sticky guys.

EDIT #2: hey guys, if you PM me or even reply to this thread asking how to do it, tell me what youre softmodding your XBOX for.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  3. ILLMAG7

ILLMAG7 Guest

hey xSModder, i have tried practically everything to mod my xbox but nothing works , the only problem is when i click checkpoints after i choose the linux profile, it freezez my xbox and i cant do anything...it pissing me off

4. xSModder

xSModder Member

ah dude...i have no clue what your problem is. what version is your XBOX? if it is 1.6...then that's kind of normal.

you might want to try another game, either MechAssault or Agent Under Fire.

5. Zen420

Zen420 Member

I want to know if i can back-up my games and dashboard onto a hard drive just incase my xbox hard drive fails, MDDs dont last forever you know!! :) I still want to know how to load the backed-up HDD just-in-case my HDD does fail later on in my life when i am trying to show my kids what kind of video games we used to play as kids or some shit?!?! Any help transfering files from and to the Xbox using a usb cable spliced to a xbox controller?

Thanks guys,
    Ian

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  6. xSModder

xSModder Member

dude! remove that email!

anyways, yes, you can back up everything on a HDD as long as it is big enough.

so, yeah. and if you need help on transferring the files via USB splice, just PM me for my email or contact me on my AIM.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  7. Zen420

Zen420 Member

I cant seem to find a good wireing diagram for splicing a xbox cord to a usb any websites in mind?

Thanks guys,
    Ian

8. dikdimond

dikdimond Regular member

9. cdal325

cdal325 Member

Hey, i softmodded my xbox, but i just downloaded the linux installer and profile from ARMAX (might be the problem). So i follo the tutorial on http://www.techfreaks.org (only the linux part). I, now cant start my xbox with no disc in it to get to the dashboard. I deleted every linux thing from the actual linux profile, so its off my hard drive. But, i still have the problem, when the xbox is started with no disc the eject light blinks green and red. Then a screen comes up saying "service is required. Contact customer support." Do you kno how i can get my xbox back to normal. Also, when i try to connect to xbox live it asks me to start the troubleshooter. If you know what to do help! PLZ! I wanna play live again!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  10. xSModder

xSModder Member

you might want to try to install another dashboard, such as Evolution X (used in my tutorial) and then PM me. I can help you from there.

11. cdal325

cdal325 Member

No worry's i fixed it. Ty anyway

12. dzuldare

dzuldare Regular member

does it really make a difference when using armax or action replay original? i have ordered a armax and i hope it works. also ...
    #2. i bought a ready softmodded hard drive off ebay with dashboards and applications and roms already on it. it is set up and xbox ready. so can i just take out my xbox hard drive and put this ready one right in ? right. i don't see a problem with that. i have a v.1.0 xbox.

13. xSModder

xSModder Member

everything should be fine. you can probably use the ARMAX, but ive heard it corrupts the larger gamesaves, so it may not work.

and yes, if you bought an HD, it should work.

14. MyRobot

MyRobot Member

I need help soft modding my xbox. All i want to do is play emulater and back up games. I've downloaded ltools_v1.7.5_SC_NTSC.rar but when it goes to run it stays at a black screen. I've tried MA to but it either goes to the same black screen or an error pops up saying i need to contact customer service. I also don't have armax. Whats the problem why can't i do this!???!??

15. ILLMAG7

ILLMAG7 Guest

I think i kno what your problem is MyRobot

your a fuckin n00b !!!

ahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahha

16. cdal325

cdal325 Member

If I am such a noob why dont you screw up ur xbox softmodding then YOU fix it. Then you can call me a noob ok!!

17. gooses

gooses Member

is is possible to mod with ARMax?

18. gooses

gooses Member

watever

19. MyRobot

MyRobot Member

screw you guys

20. Zen420

Zen420 Member

Ok, so i have this wireless controller and the way it is set up is like this:
    xbox plug running a cord to a box with a memory card slot in it, then there is just a controller with no memory card slot. can i just cut off the xbox plug and soldier the matching wires to a usb cable? will i need to have the controller on for my computer to recognize it? anyone who has tried this method? I figure it would work because all you need to do is get the gamesave onto the memory card right? then i put it into a diffrent controller and load it... Seem logical right?
    Thanks for the help