1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The worst rock/pop band ever.

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Deeman, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Deeman

Deeman Guest

Who do you guys think really suck in music either present or past? I hate to insult our Irish friends but I think U2 really sucks!

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Where to begin?

Most all of the "manufactured" big label music these days sucks pants in my opinion. It's all a bunch of souless product, not music.

My vote for the absolute worst, most horrendous slap in the face to true musicians everywhere is the tripe they come up with for that Amercan Idol television show. Nobody on that show had two shits worth of true talent in my eyes.

True musicians are found on the Indie labels anymore. They do it because it's their passion, not for the glitz and millions promised by the big labels if you become their whore.

3. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

I'd have to say poison, tesla, and all them other 80's hair bands were the worst thing we've had in a long time. They actually thought they were cool and real musicians. yeah sure almost all todays music sucks but we've learned to expect it. In the 80's it was so overwhelming and shoved down your throat it was hard to get away from. The 70's had alot of real bad music too, but hey they were all on coke so who cares. i'm sure to them disco WAS cool.

4. Deeman

Deeman Guest

I have to agree that poison and tesla sucks, but Motley crue still remains my favorite band today. I've been a fan since I was 8 yrs old. I'm 29 now.

5. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

You know who's the worst singer ever? Hilary Duff. I mean, she's got a pretty face, but NO. Just NO. Don't even make me think about her.

6. darthnip

hahha when i first saw the shout at the devil album cover my first thought was "damn these chics are cute"

7. Nephilim

Most all the hair bands were pretty lame. The only one I liked (and still do) is Twisted Sister. Dee Snider is just too cool!

8. darthnip

yeah, gotta agree with you there

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

OK, as a music lover with over 1,200 albums and 500 CD's I gotta say Bread was the worst band ever. Altho those hair bands of the 80's were pretty bad. Abba too. Speaking of Twisted Sister, how about Sisters of Mercy? That was a hard driving band!

But my favorite is the Clash! Man, back then England had all the best bands, The Boys, The Jam, Sex Pistols, and before that The Who and The Stones. When playing meant more than the bucks!

10. john179

john179 Active member

I agree with bigorange most of these bands did it for the money but they also did because they loved what they did.If you look at the bands we have in the Uk over the past ten years Take That Boyzone Blue Westlife now these are really socks.Bring back the 80's at least they could sing and not just mime.You may as well just have robots out there singing rather than these guys as it's the same thing.

John179

11. Nephilim

I own every album they put out and listen to them weekly. I'm a die hard fan of all the old Brit goth and early industrial.

Sisters of Mercy
    Fields of the Nephilim <-- if you like Sisters you owe it to yourself to check them out. "Dawnrazor" is their best album :)
    Mission UK
    Bauhaus
    ClockDVA
    Einsturzende Neubauten
    Foetus
    Swans
    Rose of Avalanche
    Skinny Puppy
    The Cure aka "Fat Bob and the boys"
    Chameleons UK
    Psychedelic Furs
    Echo & The Bunnymen
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "And there we saw the giants ... And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2004
  12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Cool, I have almost all their albums(SOM, that is) and I do have all the Furs albums and close to all the Cure's albums. Saw the Furs in a little bar in Blacksburg,VA. called the Bark n' Shark, many years ago, held about 75 people, awesome!

Also was lucky enough to see the Cure at Red Rocks, Co. in their heyday. It's a huge natural amphitheater, bands only need a small amount of equipment, it's like playing in a megaphone, what a show! Robert Smith hates the world but the boy can write and sing.

BTW, do you remember a little band called The Dead Boys? How about Eddie and the Hot Rods? The Rods were 50's rock on 45's sped up to 75rpm, made your feet wanna move!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2004
  13. Nephilim

I'm so jealous you got to see the Furs!!! Never saw The Cure either.

I'm not familiar with the Eddie and the Hot Rods but I do love good Rockabilly! Ever hear The Blasters? Outstanding Rockabilly :)

I forgot to mention Siouxsie and the Banshees! Oh Lord could Siouxsie sing :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "And there we saw the giants ... And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

14. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Man o man, I can see we could talk this sheeat all nite! Very cool, neph Love the Blasters! I can tell you like the indie labels! Me too, altho some like EMI got big and forgot their roots. "We all had to say goodbye, who? Hello EMI-DESTROY."-Pistols

If you love rockabilly then you must've heard of Dave Edmunds(JuJu man) who played with Nick Lowe(Mary Provost) in Rockpile. I got a rare live recording of them with Keith Richards playing guitar, whheeeweee! It's a little rough and scratchy, but that's what I love about old vinyl, it's so raw! Hard to find cartridges for your turntable tho. Joe Ely is another fav of mine in rockabilly, how about his "I Keep My Fingernails Long So They Click When I Play the Piano?" Shades of Jerry Lee Lewis!

Siouxsie and the Banshees, that brings back memories, along with 999, Buzzcocks with Pete Shelley, the Ramones, the Connells, Squeeze, God I could go on forever!

Post-BTW, the Cure is on tour now, don't know if it's feasible for ya to go but the concert dates are on their wesite!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

15. Nephilim

You said it! You know one of the most underrated bands of yore that I still can't get enough of is Talking Heads. David Byrne was the man! They had such a great progression from their early albums to their later ones. Some bands get stuck in a rut with the same sound but Talking Heads evolved so wonderfully. Amazing band.

Some other incredible stuff is the first four albums from Peter Gabriel, not all the weird stuff he's doing lately but the early stuff is just wicked sounding stuff.

I do love my indie! I go to http://cdbaby.com/ and just go nuts every other month. Tons and tons of incredible stuff there. I love how you can preview all the music.

One of the wildest albums I found there was by a band called Rondellus. They primarily play 14th century music but for one of their albums they coved a whole slew of old Black Sabbath classics and played them as if Sabbath was in the 14th century. Wild stuff :)

http://cdbaby.com/cd/rondellus

16. Nephilim

17. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

n'stink and fagstreet boys

18. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Neph, very cool site, but you have really screwed up, It's a place I could easily spend a few bucks, which won't be good on the home front. lol-It's now on my desktop. heh heh

BTW, I was and am a huge Byrnes fan, love the Heads. That was about when I was getting into Elvis Costello and the Attractions back when he did really good stuff like "peace,love and understanding", "watching the detectives" and my favorite, the one that got him banned on SNL, "Radio Radio"!

sly-I hear ya!
    _

19. brian100

brian100 Guest

Nephilim

I actually saw "The Cure" as a support band to "Siouxsie & the banshees" way back in 1979. Funny thing is the 3rd band on the night "Spizz energy" (AKA Spiz oil- Athletico spizz 80) were the best..by far.

I also saw "The talking heads" at wembley arena in about..well..must have been 1980. They were a great band when they arrived & I still listen to their "talking heads 77" album regularly. Psycho Killer is one of my all time fave tracks.

Bigo

I saw The squeeze back in 76 along with an old band called "The Tubes" remember them?. I am afraid I do..and to me they represent my worst band of all time.

20. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Brian, I do remember the Tubes,never bought any of their stuff, but surely they can't be as bad as these so called boy bands that studios manufacture on a regular basis, can they? lol Darthnip hit it on the head when he said " yeah sure almost all todays music sucks but we've learned to expect it."

I also saw Squeeze, but with E.Costello, that was a good one! Another really good band live was the Cranberries, I love the Irish bands! Black 47, U2,the Pogues, Hothouse Flowers,etc(sorry deeman, but yes U2 also-the Edge is one hell of a guitar player-their early stuff was rocking!)

Over a span of about 7 or 8 years, can't remember exactly, I saw the Clash 5 times. Man, you talk about energy! I was extremely saddened to hear about Joe Strummer's death, they will go down as one of my greatest bands. "Clampdown" was my favorite Strummer tune, awesome lyrics!

Say what you will, but ever since the British invasion of the sixties, The British Isles have pretty much ruled Rock and Roll(with a few notable exceptions here and there,lol).