1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The worst rock/pop band ever.

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Deeman, Jul 16, 2004.

1. bigorange

bigorange Active member

hey, you brought up Johnny Winter, LOL! That's a shame about Heep, back in the day they were really good!

Seriously, Deep Purple on tour/ Wonder how old Ritchie Blackmoor is now?

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Actually Blackmore quit the band (again) in '97 or '98. To be more specific, after they got back together in the 80's, they did 2 studio albums and a live album and then Ian Gillan quit because he wasnt getting along with Blackmore (big surprise). Joe Lynn Turner sang on the next album, and Gillan came back after that for one more album with the classic lineup. Blackmore quit in mid-tour and was replaced by Joe Satriani. Satriani apparently wanted to join the band, but due to his recording contract he couldn't, and instead they recruited Steve Morse (from the Dixie Dregs) as their guitarist. Personally, I think they sound better than they did for most of the time Blackmore was with them, except for one thing. I haven't heard what they sound like now because Jon Lord retired. On the other hand, the guy they got to replace him (Don Airey) has been around about as long as Deep Purple, and he's played with everybody so I still want to see them. They released a couple of really good live DVDs since Steve Morse joined called Purpendicular and Perihelion. Really good stuff, and the one new song they always play (Ted The Mechanic) is every bit as good as the old stuff. Still I wish I could have seen them with Lord. He may be my favorite keyboard player of all time.

Edit: You know what's really funny? Just about nobody who's familiar with all the old bands I've mentioned would guess my age. I'm only 33 (34 on Friday)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
    DVD Rebuilder Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial_advanced.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

You're right! I've seen a lot of these bands! Add about 10 years for me, or there abouts. lol No surprize about Gillian and Blackmoor, they fought like cats and dogs when they got along.

The trend nowadays seems when you do see one of the oldies there is usually one, maybe two members left, just enuff to go by their original name. Which sells tickets, I guess.

Believe it or not I saw I saw Hendrix in Charleston, W. Va. with Sly and the Family Stone just before he died, talk about wild. I was in hog heaven that nite.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Vurbal and bigo I listen to every band you've both listed. And all this time I thought you guys were country music fans. I also like Pink Floyd, Genesis when Pete Gabriel was still with them (don't like Phil Collins voice), Gentile Giant, and King Crimson. Like Nephilim I like all of Peter Gabriels early stuff.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

vurbal, you have mentioned one the best, most creative bands that way too few people have heard of: Bad Brains. I absolutely agree with everything you said about them.

I like metal but I lean away from the "classic" metal bands. Misfits which were a great band but I like them more when they put together Samhain. November Coming Fire and Final Descent are two particular favorites.

I remember seeing Danzig play years back and the band that opened for them was, at the time, an unkown band called White Zombie. It was their first tour and what a spectacular show they did! They blew everybody in that crowd away.

As far as shows go the wildest, most twisted and altogether fan-freakin-tastic show I've been to was GWAR. Nobody but nobody puts on a show quite like them. Monster suits, beheadings, fluids of every color in the rainbow being squirted and sprayed all over the crowd. Those were the days.

Has anyone here listened to Clutch? Words can not describe how much I love that band. I've seen them live five times in little clubs around Phoenix and I can't get enough of them. Their first two albums are amazing, Transnational Speedway League and their self titled album (my favorite). It's kind of like heavy metal funk mixed with hilariously creative lyrics. They hail from the midwest.

For you punk rockers who want something a little different take a look at Voodoo Glow Skulls - it's punk rock meets mariachi music (I'm not kidding) and they make it work oh so well. Firme is an outstanding album to check out.

When I was in high school I remember listening to a lot of Minor Threat, Dead Kennedy's, JFA, Dead Milkmen, Meatmen, Revolting Cocks, Husker Du and one of my favorites that I still listen to to this day, the one, the only, The Butthole Surfers. Great music from the lot of them.

Any fans of early industrial amongst you?

*yet another edit, can't type or proofread properly today.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "And there we saw the giants ... And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

6. vurbal

Nephilim, I may have to come to Phoenix some time just to listen to some good music with you. A lot of the bands you mention I listened to when I was in high school, primarily because I had a friend who was into them. I'm a big fan of the Dead Kennedys, not to mention other projects Jello Biafra has done (like his work with Mojo Nixon) and I always liked the Butthole Surfers and Husker Du - 2 incredibly original bands. I didn't really know about Bad Brains until after I got into Living Colour and another friend of mine told me I should check them out. Needless to say I was floored. Fortunately they get back together occasionally (when somebody throws enough money their way) so maybe someday I'll get to see them live one day. I'd really recommend that you check out the latest Living Colour disc (CollideOScope). I think you'd really appreciate the Bad Brains influence on some of their songs. Sometimes I think Vernon Reid is channelling Dr. Know. If you haven't heard it, I also recommend finding their cover of the MC5's Kick Out The Jam (with Henry Rollins on vocals). It's from the Christian Slater movie Pump Up The Volume. And if you don't have any MC5 you should definitely get the album Kick Out The Jam.

I never got into Gwar, but then I never saw them live, and I've always heard that they're a fun live band. Not too much into early industrial either, although when I'm in the mood I do like listening to it. Mostly though it's more music that I've listened to because friends had it vs. buying it myself. I've listened to some Clutch, but I don't really remember what it sounded like. I'll have to get some and see what I think.

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

soph-definitely Pink Floyd

Dead Kennedys,Bad Brains, Milkmen, Butthole Surfers- oh yeah!

How about-The Drones? What a band, they were about 14-16 when they cut their 1st record. Then ya got the Adverts(no time to be 21), the Nails with

"Cops are punks, they have their gun, they shoot to kill, I wish that I were one"

then the Spitfire Boys, Laughing Dogs, Willie "Loco" Alexander and the Boom Boom Band(doing "you've lost that Lovin' Feeling" by the Rightous Bros.), Mink Deville with "Cadillac Walk", The Real Kids, Susan, Radio Stars, Jill Reed(what a songbird doing "Maybe"!),Little Hitlers, Flaming Groovies, Chelsea(one of my all time favorites), the Weirdos, Count Bishops, Did I mention the Saints-Know your Product", and No, your product",Ducks Deluxe, Battered Wives, Patti Smith, The Stranglers-"No More Heroes", Magazine, Boomtown Rats(I don't like Mondays), Sham 69,X-ray Spec, Plastic Bertrand(a french punk band, all the lyrics were in french on the album), Roxy Music with Brian Ferry, the Replacements, Dumptruck, and finally 999-I know we mentioned them once, but they're just so damn good!

yeah, I went to the collection and looked up a few,LOL

8. Nephilim

The Replacements!! Yessss!!! Pleased To Meet Me gets some serious play time around my place :)

vurbal, I definitely need to follow up on In Living Color.

Will post back later, Leon The Proefessional is on the top half of my screen right now and I can't pay attention. Gary Oldman's finest performance ever!!

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

The little girl is hot too!

I need to clarify before you think I'm a dirty old man, she's all grown up now.

BTW, did any of those others ring a bell? Especially Drones, Saints, and Chelsea?

_
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

10. Nephilim

Ha Ha! I distinctly remember the first time I watched Leon I thought, man, when that little girl gets a few years on her she's going to be damned gorgeous.

I'm not familiar with Drones, Saints and Chelsea but I take it I should be? :)

11. Nephilim

*no I'm not trying to boost post count, I'm just retarded and can't remember everything I want to post until after I hit the post button*

vurbal, would you be so kind as to recommend the two Living Color albums a feller should start off with? I got to remembering them last night after reading your post and I can't believe I'd forgotten about them.

12. vurbal

It depends on how much you like more conventional music vs. more experimental. Judging from previous posts it sounds like you'd get into the stuff that's a little further outside the mainstream, so I'd have to recommend Time's Up and CollideOscope. The first one is over 10 years old now, and it has their original bass player (one of the best I've ever heard). The second one was released last year when they got back together after something like 8 years apart. It's got a much harder edge, which they seemed to develop after they changed bass players (before they broke up in the '90s). I'd try to describe their sound, but the description would be something like Punk/Jazz/Funk/Blues/Soul/Island-Metal (with a lot of Industrial influence on the more recent one) so I guess it's safer to say it can't be described - just experienced.

13. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

ok you guys REALLY need to come to our IRC channel. I saw gwar on the hell-o tour (first album) in a freaking howard johnson's hotel in the conference room. everything was ground level and the slaves were running around hosing stuff, it was a blast. I also like the early industrial (well what we called industrial) like big black, rapeman, shellac (yeah, all steve albini). oooold butthole surfers, I'd kill for Live Puppet in mp3. Lets not forget bands like Kreator, Cryptic Slaughter, napalm death, and Slayer's first 6 albums.
    lately I've really been into Tool, i've seen them a few times live, great shows. I'v been jamming them for 5 days straight now. damn maynard has a set of pipes.

14. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]I'm not familiar with Drones, Saints and Chelsea but I take it I should be? :)[/bold]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Neph,

Three of the best bands from back in the day. Extremely fast, hard driving, and ANGRY! I bought just about every record they had! You really outta check 'em out (if ya can find them!) There are CD's out with the Saints and Chelsea, don't know about the Drones.

BTW, ya think Leon was tempted? heh heh

15. Nephilim

Thanks vurbal, Time's Up and CollideOscope it will be :)

@darth

Finally a fellow Gwar fan! Have you ever listened to their side project X-Cops? If you haven't you need to pm me ;)

I'm a big Tool fan as well. Maynard and those boys certainly have some magic in what they do. They have quality that I haven't heard in years. They're going to be remembered and revered as one of the "greats" years from now.

@BigO

Those three will be looked for. I love finding "new" old music!

Oh, yeah. I'll preface this by saying that I'm a sick bastard but, in that given situation, Leon was a better man than I am.

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

neph, I'll do some checking and PM ya. There are some certain songs you just have to listen to by these guys. I bet safc has heard of 'em.

BTW, Leon was a better man than both of us!

(I like Jean Rene in most of the stuff I've seen him in, pretty good actor. You're right about Oldman too, one of his best performances, tho he's usually good in whatever he does))
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  17. askyew

askyew Regular member

I sure am glad to find this thread is off topic with you guys discussing the best bands instead of the worst. I assumed it would be post and go but I decided to read it after you guys started to discuss some serious artist that are of the non-whore variety. Seeing the Cure mentioned brings back fond memories. Love the Sex Pistols an all time favorite. I have to give a shout out to neph cdbaby is all that and then some, if you haven't visited their site do so and educate yourself about how the music industry should be. Sophocles mention of King Crimson is to be commended its very collectable and fine music. Now for the post and go part, every boy band rides in on the high hard one.

18. brian100

brian100 Guest

Damn it, duplicate post. (Note! Not planned to contribute towards Afterdawnaddict status!!)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Jacques & Martin's Blue & White Army.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2004
  19. brian100

brian100 Guest

Nephilim

You may have heard of them, but in my opinion "Joy Division" were perhaps one of the unsung greats. All of their music is deeply atmospheric & induces an impact when listening to them. A few others may include The Cocteau Twins, The Meteors, Barrence Whitfield & The Savages, Bauhaus, The Undertones (Derry's favourites), Punishent Of Luxury, Half Man Half Biscuit (The funniest Lyrics ever written by a band!!), Magazine (The early Buzzcocks), John Cooper Clarke (Punk poet)

I was having a think the other day, dangerous I agree. Perhaps the one group that changed things for me in my youth were The Ramones. I remember buying their "Blitzkreig Bop" EP, and then buying the superb album "Rocket to Russia" immediately afterwards. For pure energy I honestly dont think these geezers can be equaled.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Jacques & Martin's Blue & White Army.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2004
  20. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Sorry brian, I already mentioned Magazine AND the Buzzcocks,(i guess another post towards addict status lol), I had forgotten about the Undertones and The Meteors tho, so I guess I'll have to give ya credit there. ;)

As far as the Ramones I think I have every album they made, what a band! I saw them in Johnson City, TN. with Bruce Springsteen before he had made it big, only 400 people showed up, I had never heard of the E Street Band, I went for the Ramones. Half the crowd left cos they hated the Ramones, it was awesome. They only played an hour but what an hour! The note that ended one song was the same note that started the next song. I mean it, no pause! It was high energy at it's best!

Rock n' Roll High School has one of the greatst soundtracks of any movie ever made.

I was greatly saddened at Joey Ramone's death at the tender age of 51. He will be missed.