1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The worst rock/pop band ever.

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Deeman, Jul 16, 2004.

1. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

What's great is that my kids love the Ramones too. I remember when they first got the movie Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius. I was in the bedroom when they were watching it the first time, and all of a sudden I heard Blitzkrieg Bop playing. I thought the movie must be over and the song was on TV, but when I went out I found out it was actually in the movie.

2. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

i hate cake. cake sucks. end of story.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Undeniably so. They're in heavy rotation as well.

I've got everything Cocteau Twins put out that I could get my hands on. Elizabeth Fraser has the singlemost gorgeous and intoxicating voice I've ever heard. Several of their albums have been remastered now. How about The Moon And The Melodies? This Mortal Coil? Ms. Frasier contributes on both of those :)

Many of the old greats are getting their works remastered. I've picked these remasters up within the last month:

Echo & The Bunnymen's first five albums. My absolute favorite band in the entire world!

Peter Gabriel's first four. His early stuff is in a class of it's own.

Psychedelic Furs' first three. Any of you check out Love Spit Love? That's Richard Butler's project after The Furs broke up.

I'll throw out a few more,

Velvet Underground. these guys were way ahead of their time.

Caterwaul - They hail from Phoenix and the singer, Betsy Martin, has an out of this world voice. "Portent Hue" is an incredible album.

The The - another terribly underrated band.

Talk Talk - another favorite. Their album "The Colour Of Spring" is a wonderful experience.

Catherine Wheel - yet another great one folks seem to miss.

Sugarcubes - the good stuff before Bjork became a dork.

Legendary Pink Dots - I own 15 of their God knows how many albums. Many bands can be described as sounding a little like this band and a little like that band. Not the Dots. They are a sound and experience unto themselves. Most folks don't care for them but those that do, myself included, love their work heart and soul.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "And there we saw the giants...And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33
    http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim[/small]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  4. vurbal

I can't believe I didn't think to mention them! Not to mention Lou Reed's solo work (Rock And Roll Animal anyone?). Now that I'm thinking about it, another good one was David Bowie's late 80's/early 90's band Tin Machine. They only put out a couple of albums (and the second one wasn't nearly as good as the first). Reeves Gabriel was on guitar and the Sales brothers from Iggy Pop's band (Soupy Sales' sons) were on bass and drums. Besides a bunch of great original songs, their first album also had a kick ass version of Working Class Hero.

5. Nephilim

Oh, yeah. Velvet Underground is quality. Listening to Venus In Furs as I type :)

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Oh God, how could I forget Velvet Underground, Lou Reed, and David Bowie, all big favorites of mine. I also liked David Johansen and the New York Dolls. All these guys were waaayyy ahead of their time!

Neph, I also love Catherine Wheel and THE THE-what a great band, saw 'em with the Cranberries in Atlanta a few years back, great great show. I believe the guitar player for THE THE came from the Smiths(w/Jim Morrissey) didn't he, Johnny Mars.

I just thought of another big influence that hasn't been mentioned, The Kinks with the Ray Davies and his brother. Man, ya'll really got me goin'!

7. Nephilim

Ah The Kinks! Great stuff :p

Funny you mention The Kinks and The The. Matt Johnson of The The has credited the Kinks as being one of his influences. I believe Johnny Marr joined them in the late 80's?

Shamefully I've not mentioned another favorite, the Man In Black - Johhny Cash.

8. vurbal

When I was growing up I wasn't exposed to much rock music because my mom mostly listens to country. I did discover Johnny Cash though, and I spent many hours listening to him. In fact, when I was about 8 or 9 years old my favorite album was probably Johnny Cash At Folsom Prison.

Another one nobody's mentioned is Montrose. Had it not been for Sammy Hagar's ego there's no telling how far they could have gone. Ronnie Montrose also did a really good instrumental album in the 80's called The Speed Of Sound.

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

This has become my favorite thread, I love talking about all these "worst" bands. BTW, how about an old blues rock band I loved called Savoy Brown?

Also two newer bands-relatively speaking, Third Eye Blind and Three Doors Down? Saw Third Eye Blind at Murtle Beach and they were fan f**king tastic! They were with Eve 6 and Alice in Chains and Gene loves Jezebel.

Also, newer on the scene, I think they just broke up, but Pearl Jam was an awesome band, "Jeremy" is an all time favorite!

10. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

sugarcubes were great. talking heads and any david byrne solo stuff. One of my favorite bands of all time even though they weren't around long enough was Morphine. I go to see them 3 times, twice in very small settings and it was fantastic. i also like 16 horsepower, very nick cave-ish yet still all their own.

11. Nephilim

I'll throw out a few more,

The Church - Some of the best to come out of Australia.

Sugar - Bob Mould of Husker Du. Copper Blue is a must hear.

Xmal Deuschtland - Great German goth band from the eighties.

Violent Femmes - The eighties wouldn't have been the eighties without them.

Pixies - Nirvana got all the credit they deserved.

XTC - Andy Partridge is the man!

Cranes - I'm in love with Alison Shaw, what can I say?

Primus - Les Claypool has got to be the most gifted bassist alive and you just can't help but love the way he sings! Fun, fun, fun music.

12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Damn! I have every single one of those except Xmal Deuschtland, Love the Pixies and Femmes.

How about the Darling Buds and the Mighty Lemon Drops?

Oh yeah and Horse,hmmm... has anybody mentioned The Call?

13. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

14. john179

john179 Active member

Some of you guys no some bands as to be honest i have not heard of alot of them.So i would say you heard enough to appreciate more than my ears have.
    John179

15. Nephilim

I've assorted CD's from all three (not Horse):) I love the Mighty Lemon Drops!!

Adam and The Ants?

Eve's Plum?

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I don't think anyone has mentioned "gasp" Chrissy and the Pretenders! What was I not thinkin'?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2004
  17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Hmm!

It seems that this thread has been flipped and turned to the opposite direction. It hs become what is you favorite POP Rock band ever thread.

18. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Yep, I totally agree(except for that "pop" part, most of my stuff is pretty aggressive and some downright angry),it also has become one of the most enjoyable threads too!

BTW, soph, are you becoming one of the undead, up all nite like me?

BTW, just thought of another one-The Dickies.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

19. bigorange

bigorange Active member

safc, very cool site, unfortunately all the venues seem to be an ocean away! Brings back a lot of great memories tho.

It's amazing how a song will trigger a past occurrence that otherwise would have totally been forgotten if not for the connection of the two.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Here's a rare one if you like some decent blues. Out of Toronto Ontario, Canada "Downchild Blues Band."
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]