1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theory on burning GC

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by SuperTed, Sep 21, 2004.

1. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

Don't know f it's gonna work, but might as well give it a try.

What I wanna try is:
    -Extract the header (bootcode) from a game.
    -Repack the bootcode with another tool (don't know if I can give the name of the tools I'm gonna use)
    -Try burning the repacked ISO with a buring-program (alchohol, NERO, clone cd, cd mate, and so on)
    -Try booting it up with my GC.

Has this been tried allready?
    If not I'm gonna try this with some DEMOS first

2. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Well -SuperTed- if your theory works then you'll be the only person on the planet to make a working backup of a GameCube game, and then you will be [bold]-SuperTed-[/bold]

Ill be looking for an update from you. GOOD LUCK!!

3. azn_kda

azn_kda Regular member

I'm rooting for you ^_^

4. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

thanx for the G-luck wish.
    I'll let ya know how it turns out

5. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

Not trying to see the glass half empty but this doesn't really address the problem of the GC Laser reading from the outside in? Or does it? I dunno, anyway, if you succeed then you will be instantly famous! He he

6. mrhapy666

mrhapy666 Member

actully i've seen on suprnova.org a video of someone playing a burned cd in a gamecube, here's the trick:

step 1: take apart gamecube
    step 2: do a raw copy to a FULL-SIZE blank dvd

put full size dvd into gamecube, and play

teh key is taking apart gamecube to make it fit full size dvd's
    i ordered my gamecube 4.5 tool for taking it apart and will post results in a week or so when ever i get mine apart, if the video is gone, i'll re-seed it

7. Hogmyster

Hogmyster Member

theres a slight problem mrhapy ... the laser doesnt go out to the edge of a full sized dvd, you'd have to get the panasonic Q version of the gamecube imported from jap if you wanted to fit a full sized one to be able to read it..

and how do you plan on making a RAW copy of a gamecube disk... since you can't read them in your PC...

i'm thinkin superted has the right idea, ripping the boot sector or what have you and repack the iso with the bootcode, or even make nero burn the iso and then use the "boot image" that you ripped...

i'm hoping that works, i'd start doing that but i'm doubting it will :(

oh and that video.. its a fake, already been discussed many times

8. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

mrhapy666, you'll find with a little searching on these forums that that video has been discussed thoroughly and has been proven a fraud. You can see the dudes, friend in the background messing with the other "real" GC that you're seeing on the screen. So unfortunately, taking apart the GC as you have planned is going to get you nowhere. Especially since it won't read and burned media from a PC regardless of its size! You can buy mini DVD media that you can fit a full GC game on and you don't even have to take apart your GC.

9. mrhapy666

mrhapy666 Member

yeah i saw that, but considering that all i have to do is spend $5 on a tool, i'm goign to attemp it anyway and see what happens, i agree it seems like a long shot, but the video didn't look liek a fraud to me, i've watched it over and over. but considering that it's not a hard hack i'm goign to try and i'll report my results, i just have no idea when my tool will arrive, prolly a week or so. i'll reserve my judgement till then

10. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

What I am saying is that people have allready tried that! What you're trying is not new! The problem has NEVER been the size of the disc. The people that are working on the developement of a mod chip for the GC have the whole thing completely dismantled and if it was as easy as fitting a burned disc on it then we all would have taken apart our GC's long ago. I will make a prediction... IT WONT WORK!!!!

11. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

Hey buddy, after reading my last post I found it to be a little "in your face". I didn't mean to sound that way, I was just hoping to save you some time. Best of luck to you but we know that what your attempting has allready been attempted and doesn't work. Sorry for sounding rude.

12. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

Hey SuperTed... any progress?

13. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I am thinking the only way to get a game to boot off the GameCube is to fix the packet loss.I think if somebody built a ftp server for the GameCube that would run at 100mbps than our problem would be solved.I feel like when we stream our iso files that we are not recieving the data fast enough making the images sloppy.The other thing is the laser of the GameCube.The laser is the big issue like always it reads from the outside in which is in the same issue as the dreamcast was.I think if we looked really hard at the modchip that was made for the dreamcast.It is possible to build one for GameCube,making it run the games which are outside in.Anything else would probably be considered streaming games.The main problem I think it is that there are too many people working on PS2 and Xbox that are good at techniques that could help out alot,but the interest in the Cube for them is gone.The PS2 and Xbox have made Nintendo the least bought system.

14. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

No progress yet.
    Gonna score some mini dvd-r's first. (they are sold by 2 for E20,-)

So gonna score some first and try it.

Updated soon

15. yojimbo2k

yojimbo2k Member

Hi

I don't know an awful lot about the various standards, but I do know that you didn't need a mod chip to download and burn DC games. I dunno if they managed to renegineer the images or what, but you had to use Discjuggler to burn them. They self-booted and everything, just like the real thing.

I never tried copying a game myself though. Just burned what I downloaded.

Good luck. We'll all be happy if you can manage it!

16. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

-yojimbo2k- so you actually burned a GC game and it actually booted with no problem without any type of modification done ?

What were your steps.

17. k-mouse

k-mouse Member

If I didn't misunderstand the post completely, he meant that he burned [bold]DreamCast[/bold]-games, not games for GameCube.

18. yojimbo2k

yojimbo2k Member

er.. no mate, sorry for the confusion. I said DC (dreamcast) not GC. L-burna mentioned a mod chip for the dreamcast. I was simply pointing out that if they both use the same reading method, the DC didn't need a chip. Self booting CDI images were created that did the job. I don't know if there's a way to read the GC discs in the PC and do a precise inversion of their order before burning it back to mini-dvd... well that's pure hypothesis.

19. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

got it.

20. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Yeah true the dreamcast can use the self booting method,but that was only for certain dreamcast consoles.If you can remember when they made the last batch of dreamcast consoles they couldn't pick up a self boot disc.It all had to be done by a modchip,and the modchip was available before the self boot method.I think we have to get down the technique of just getting a game to boot first before even advancing to a self boot game.The self boot is probably only done by pressing a disc,pressing machine.I don't think anybody can afford one of those and I am thinking that the disc is pressed just like the PS2 and Xbox games.That leads me to think there can't be a self boot for GameCube with the press disc involved.