1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theory on burning GC

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by SuperTed, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Clete2

Clete2 Member

What steps did you take to burn it?

Did you burn it backwards? Did you invert everything?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  2. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

Just made an image like I did last time.
    Repacked both Bootcodes with Mkisofs and after that pasted the GCM to it.
    After that I burned the F*cker and popped it in my GC.

3. Jackass57

Jackass57 Guest

SuperTed, u should keep the disk u burned and get the new modchip for the gamecube and then try the same disk again and let us know if it works any differently

4. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

ehhh this is for linux right the Mkisofs is not really windows compatible,doh.I was looking on where to find it and ran into a program that is based on it called cddvdpro or something like that,but just lists the library for it and not a executable file to run it.I also was looking and saw somebody programming it with Python not sure though what commercial program has Mkisofs in it.I was wondering does Padus or any of those companies have the Mkisofs or is it like I said a cygin library that has to be compiled by linux or something of the sort.

5. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

6. Azeluk

Azeluk Member

Ok i dont know much about backing up the only things i can backup are CDs Dvds and my ps2 Dvds because its really simple.

But i tried somthing today it didnt work but some one might be able to get it to.

I inserted a GC game into my Ricoh MP5240A (Pc dvd drive) it tried to autostart so i left it and it stopped i then opend dvd decrypter and the drive started up i left it again the software read the disc and came up with the details i tried to back it up but it wouldnt let me.

I know its probably nothing to get excited about but i have 3 GC's i need to backup my games soon as ferrying them around all the time is irritating.

also this is gonna sound so stupid but has any one tried to burn Mini-dvd on the gc its self or is the GC drive just a reader.

Only asking as you can use a GBA to write rom data to a flash card.

Azeluk.

7. indienemo

indienemo Guest

hahahha, you taking the piss?! why the hell would they put a dvd rw drive in it?! lol :p

8. Bizquick

Bizquick Member

Well I modded my DVD Drive Firmware and I can read the GC disc's pretty good I should post a screen shot. Well I didn't mod my firmware the firmware I sent off to my friend he and I have NEC 1300A drives we use a toys in a sense. so we moded the firmware on these drive but we are limited on space in the firmware so we only have like 2 or 3 media types we could use to burn to. so I think I could make a excate copy if I had the correct media type added or maybe just make an image and burn it with another program I'll see what I can try. but with me extracting that firmware directly off that DVD rom controller made quite a differance. Nintedo was kinda smart on the protection it write garabage data on every other side of the GC disc. because these disc are dual layered. you most likely would want to mod your GC and extract this garbage data. the patten is random for the garbage data as well.

9. udlras

udlras Guest

You sure it's garbage? it maybe be important. I wouldn't put it past the creators of the orriginal lock out chip to make something pretty sneaky

10. indienemo

indienemo Guest

There is now a mod chip out (November 26th), accroding to a popular gamecube website... which will allow users to play mini dvds in their gamecube drive. Apparantly it only needs two wires soldering aws well... Thank god the waitings over... sigh. :')

11. Jackass57

Jackass57 Guest

what site then?

12. Bizquick

Bizquick Member

Yeah it looks like garbage data but I could be wrong. its kinda weird. Its like you know how some of the starcube release games are smaller than a DVD-R dual layer. Like for instance this game Zelda Wind walker I can't find anymore than 1.3 gigs of actual data. Oh well maybe I'll try a few more games and play with this more. but they definaly have a copy protection. the bar code is the signature for how to read the data. What that means is its like a primer. you read that bar code you can read the data in the correct order I think the cracks groups have all ready figured this out. Maybe they havent but they did it by mistake when you can copy the GC data with ISO writers it makes sense they area just getting the data dn not the bar code. So basicly what this means is some games could have the same bar code and they are just burned the same way to save money in production. like a smaller 3rd party game company they most likely would not waste money makeing more then one bar code. I think the hacks for this GC system is going to be pretty easy from here down. But the realy trick is getting Mini Dual layer dics or modifing these units to work with real sized dvd-r's but you would have to mod your laser readers for that too.

13. indienemo

indienemo Guest

I dont think your allowed to hotlink on these forums so i cant but if your interested check out the chip thread...

14. ianfinder

ianfinder Member

Whoever was talking about development gamecubes playing dvd-rs, I don't think that's correct, unless there are two development versions of the console. When I was at EA, the DEV GCs I saw didn't use optical drives at all-- they used cartridges containing hard-discs that plugged into a vertical slot in the top of the machine where the optical drive lid would've been. Maby it's impossible to read/write GC media in consumer grade drives, as nintendo doesn't appear to have taken that route even in their development systems.

15. Jackass57

Jackass57 Guest

you can take the top part of the gamecube case off and put full sized dvd-r's in it, and it'll read it, but u have to have a viper chip to play anything off them of course, [even on regular mini dvd-r's].

16. Bizquick

Bizquick Member

Got mine running burned Zelda 4 swords on DVD-R. Not sure what DVD media label it is I think its reitek. anyway Burn it at 2x and it works fine. I do know that the dvd laser has trouble reading many types of dvd's so I know why the dev stuidos use the cartaridge approche because 1. its cheaper to do dev work with
    and 2. they don't have to worrie about their DVD supplyer switching media. Meaning if they allways bought TDK dvd's some where allong the line TDK may get their media from a cheaper source. And then have a problem with it.

And yeah take taking the lid off and moding the unit works fine for readding the DVD'rs. but to be honest it would be nice to get our hands on a dev cartridge and drive port. That would make a nice hard drive soucr for the linx dev.

17. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

Do you have the GC-Chip? (Viper)
    If not, how did ya do it?

18. tj162

tj162 Member

Bizquick, I've got a NEC 1300a and I was wondering if you could send me a copy of the firmware you used so I could try it too

19. Bizquick

Bizquick Member

I got a viper GC chip. I hate the fact you have to flash the chip with your game cube and pc connected. I would much rather liked to have just flashed the chip from my pc before Installed it. Oh well it least it works. but I'm not sure that it will ever work with multi disc games.

20. tj162

tj162 Member

Guys I found this on http://www.dextrose.com

<retroburner> <19:46> You don't need a chip. You nned a GB Player.
    <retroburner> <19:46> need.
    <foreignbloke> <19:47> Just hte player? I thought a boot disc was involved?
    <retroburner> <19:47> Sort of.
    <retroburner> <19:49> You need a boot cart. A flashed GBA cart with the modified GC bios. The GC boots the player, the player ups a new bios to the GC, and then you swop discs.
    <retroburner> <19:52> It's the Dreamcast all over again, Datel or whoever it was release a region defeating disc, then someone figures it out.
    <foreignbloke> <19:54> How does one lead to the other though? I don't get how the GB Player is needed.
    <retroburner> <19:57> It's the only way to get a GC to read other media. GC needs a disc, and the GB player disc transfers control to the cart. You can soft reset from that with an altered bios and request another disc. Ka-ching!