1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theory on burning GC

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by SuperTed, Sep 21, 2004.

1. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Oh and I forgot about the Utopia boot disc that was used for Dreamcast.If we look back at that everybody had to use that boot disc also before the self booting method was even available.The thing is that the boot disc was involved which I think if it is gonna be backed up to a disc.I think we gotta search for a booting technique through some sort of disc that is already pressed by Nintendo.I heard that the Action Replay,FreeLoader and some of those discs wouldn't work.The thing is what technique did they use that made it not work.I am sure there is a way around it to get it to work.If figuring out a way to boot it means studying flaws then yeah I think it will help out.The drives for all the game systems out are picking up pressed discs is what I am saying.How are you gonna get a self boot game to work?share your thought man,not messing with you.I am just trying to look at methods people are using to try to get it to work.

2. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I think another reason that the dreamcast has a self boot method for it,is the fact that it is cd-rom.The GameCube is based on mini dvd-rom and cd-rom.The drive for it is messing with two formats instead of one.That could also be a problem.The first thing to work is probably gonna be on cd before dvd I think.

3. yojimbo2k

yojimbo2k Member

I didn't realise that about the later DC's...

I know what you mean about the Utopia disc - but wasn't that discovered to be a blatant rip of something like CD-X? If so then it's possible that Freeloader can be coaxed into booting a disc.

I was just looking at it from the point of view that if the GC reads the discs from the edge, inwards, and the PC reads them from the inside, outwards... then what would happen if you got the PC to blindly read the bits on the disc and used some sort of util to reverse the order of all the bits (first to last, etc). Then took this new "image" and blindly wrote it back to a mini-dvd and used something like Freeloader to boot it.

Answer: probably nothing. the concept itself is simple enough but I'd say the execution is a nightmare. I remember hearing rumblings about people using linux to rip Dreamcast games, but does anyone know for sure how the various groups managed to get DC games ripped in the end of it all?

4. yojimbo2k

yojimbo2k Member

Ah no.... barking up the wrong tree.

Of course they used the DC drive itself, much as I'm sure the groups are using the GC drive itself to get information. Burning it back is the hard part.

It's an interesting topic though. A very good exercise...

5. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

That is a good idea man,but getting that to burn would be crazy like you said.The data would have to put on certain parts of the disc in some order not know to any burners we have.That is a cool idea though man,I like thinking about that one.I was thinking about the new Action Replay Tools like the ARMax Drive and the Max Media Player.The ARMax would be usefull to make your own programs whereas the Max Media Player would be another way to transfer files to the GameCube through the memory card,using a SD memory card.I am thinking if the person that made the GC Disc Servers could actually make the program reverse.The program could run off the memory card and read the actual drive inside rather than from the computer side.That way you could upload that from one of those SD cards and use it that way.It would bring up a screen telling you to swap out a disc,but instead just open up the top of the lid and plug the game in.I think this would work,but to get this to boot from the memory card for GameCube I don't think anybody has tried it.

6. indienemo

indienemo Guest

I dont think itll work, but im rooting for you man!

7. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Whats up with that update -SuperTed-

Or has anybody else tried this yet. Has there been any progress with that modchip that's being developed?

8. indienemo

indienemo Guest

9. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Nope...Nothing yet,I think the modchip won't be out until 2005.I haven't heard any progress from it or anything yet,but I am sure there is hidden truth to the modchip for the GameCube we don't know about.

10. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

Extracting the bootcode wasn't as easy as it sounds.
    Now making a multisession ISO with both bootcodes implented is a real pain in the....

So no luck so far.

But like I said, if I tried a burned disc on my GC I'll tell if it works.

11. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

MAN...by that time GC will be obsolete, then thier would be no point in modding the GC.

OH well...I guess ill wait till the new GC comes out and see if that one can be moded

12. indienemo

indienemo Guest

lol, the next gamecube will be harder to mod not easier, think blu-ray :p

13. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Like this version of GC.

If the next GC will be harder to mod then will be no hope since no one can mod this version of GC.

14. indienemo

indienemo Guest

it will by 2005 a earlier said, and eventually blu-ray can be cracked as well, but by that time...

15. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I doubt the new one is gonna be easier since the drive inside of it has Nintendo and the Sega team working on it.I am sure they have some double braded code in there where it is hard to boot a backup from.I think Nintendo has gone downhill and Sony and Microsoft are gonna be at the top.The reason why I think this is the reason for games.I don't think Nintendo is making enough games.It takes them maybe 3 or 4 times longer to produce a game,and on the other hand Sony is making games quick as hell.The Xbox has probably the best graphics since it has a nvidia graphics card in it.I couldn't really say where to start with finding out how to crack a system,but it should start with the drive inside of it.Then it should start with the motherboard of it.After that it should be test and discover I would say.

16. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Since when does nvidia beat ATI at gfx o_O, from now on all nintendo consoles with have ATI

17. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I think the nvidia chip beats it.I have a Xbox and I have a GameCube also.The graphics coming from the Xbox are way better than the GameCube,no lie.It might not look proven,but it is.The gamecube want to stick with the cartoon appearance too much,so in my oppinion the Xbox has beaten them.Nintendo hasn't proven there graphics yet is what I am saying.

18. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Good choice of words -L-Burna-...I'll go with that theory that you just said.

19. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Thats true, but do you see many cel-shaded x-box games? ;) there ya go, there actually really demanding! ;););), have you seen the new zelda game movie, jeesus thats gonna whup any console game graphics in history, hells yea..
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]CPU: AMD athlon 2800+ XP
    Motherboard: Quasar(MSI) MS-6786
    RAM: 768mb 2700 DDR
    GFX: 128mb Geforce FX5900XT (overclocked)
    HDD: Seagate 120GB, 7200rpm[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2004
  20. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

It may WHUP any console game graphics, but that wouldn't get me to buy a GC if I didn't already have one (by the way it's collecting dust...literally)