1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theory on burning GC

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by SuperTed, Sep 21, 2004.

1. k-mouse

k-mouse Member

Come on SuperTed, why don't you answer?

I am myself very eager for this to work, it would be really cool. Don't give up just yet, you can do it man! And if not, imo, you could at least help other people try to make this happen.

Thanks for all you've done for us this far, SuperTed...

2. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

Well guys I can't get it to boot.
    I tried several media brands.
    Also tried taking the cover off my GC and use a 12cm dvd (full size) but it still didn't work.
    Gonna work on something new now.
    Keep ya updated soon.

3. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Don't give up man, I think you got closer than most of us.

4. Clete2

Clete2 Member

Apparently, someone got it to work.

Check on Suprnova.org, Games -> GameCube -> GameCube hacked video (or something like that)... It shows a video of a guy using a full-sized DVD disc on his GameCube and it's working.

BTW: Mentioning that isn't against the rules, it's not piaracy, it's just a video which is freely avaliable. If this is against the rules, delete my post please.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2004
  5. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

????????That video is old,and is a fake.We have already discussed this right.It shows a person in the background doing something,that gives it away it is a fake.

6. ProStyl3

ProStyl3 Member

SuperTed keep tryin because it aint gonna happen ive tried every single rumor on the net using reloc and all. Also you must know that we have no proof that the ripping tool referd to as riptool.dol(this is used in all apps including pheonix) made by WAR3X rips it in a correct fashion so it can be burned. Reloc on the other hand id questionable.

Best Wishes to ya

[offtopic]There is a group out there creating a new loader its in the beginng stages. Do not ask for the groups name or when it will be finished it will take time.[/offtopic]

7. Clete2

Clete2 Member

Sorry, I didn't read the posts, just posted. Yeah, I figured it might be fake (e.g. they could have someone out there mimicking the guy doing that and have the other gamecube with the real game hooked up to the tv).

8. kamaswami

kamaswami Member

hey superted... i was curious, if you took one of the discs you burnt with the bootcode / bootloader stuff on it, if you took that, loaded up pso and ran the iso ripping program to rip your burned disc what would you get?

cause it doesn't look to me like the media is the problem. if gc actually used some proprietary DVD format that couldn't read dvd-R or dvd+r, then you wouldn't have been able to get as far as possible.

if you rerip a game you've burnt, you should be able to compare the rerip to the original rip, maybe even write a C program to read them in and compare them byte by byte. everyone says the gc reads discs backwards, maybe its as simple as reversing the bytes. i dunno, just an idea.

9. Clete2

Clete2 Member

If it reads backwards, when you rip, it will get them backwards, but they appear forwards. So, are you saying that you need to re-reverse the bytes to be backwards since burners can only burn forwards? Sounds like a good idea to try, but I doubt it would work.

10. OzMick

OzMick Guest

kamaswami: that has got to be the best idea posted in here in a long time. I guess it would serve as a kind of an acid test to work out sooo many things. If you are reading this superted, please try it (if you already haven't). It would only take an hour (ed: ok, maybe three or four or...), but it would show you what the GC is *actually seeing* of the disc, and give you some clues on what to fix..
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"I love it when a plan comes together..."
    John "Hannibal" Smith[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2004
  11. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

well...tried taking the burned disc and ripping it back to pc.
    here's what happened:
    -started riptool and popped in my disc
    -started ripping (takes about an hour)
    -loading my ripped image in both Phoenix and GC-Tool and it didn't see what gc game it was.

tried loading it back to gc with phoenix and pso, but it kept saying LOADING (on all loaders)

after that tried using pdx-gc discserver, but same here.

So I guess something is wrong with burning.
    Gonna try (re)writing the Mkisofs to make it kind of burn backwards (reading the image from the last to the first byte instead of from the first to the last)

Gonna be updating soon!

12. kamaswami

kamaswami Member

i haven't done any gc development so i realize my posts are more questions than answers but... i do have programming experience.

when you talk of burning a game backwards, that could mean a couple things:

the bytes are on there in reverse order
    the actual bits are on there in reverse order

also with the bootloader stuff. on a normally burned cd that is the first thing on the cd right? its the stuff center. burned first.

with a reversed cd, is the boot info on the outside edge? or is it still in the center and the rest of the cd is reversed?

also... aren't dreamcast games backwards? cause they're burnable right? how is it done with DC?

13. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

I mean letting my (re)-written tool(s) read the image backwards.

Just burn the bootinfo @ the begining of the disc and after that let the tool read the image from the last to the first byte while the bytes that are in the memory are getting burned on the disc.
    If this works, it's gonna rock!

btw. 8cm dvd's are expensive dudes!
    I can buy em in a pack of 2 for 20 euro!

14. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

GO GO GOOOOOOO!!!

15. Clete2

Clete2 Member

Not sure about the euro -> USD conversion rate, but I'm sure people here (me included) will be happy to help you out if you need donations to keep trying and buying DVDs. (right now, I can't donate, but can soon)

16. Mr69ways

Mr69ways Guest

What type of"Mini DVDs" are you using (brand wise). Is it possible to use 210MB "Mini CD's". SuperTed you may be on the right track here. What software is capable of reversing the order of the bit s (info) on Disc.

You guys serious about donations becaus I got about $2.00 in my Paypal account (not much, sorry).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2004
  17. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I think 210MB cds will work,but the image has to be alot less than that.If it is a game as mentioned than probably depends on the size of the game image if it will be on Mini Dvd about 1.5Gig discs.I used a couple of Sony brand discs to burn a couple games on them using server method still not booting it up,but I think either memorex or a similiar brand could work.I am not sure,but memorex is a good brand for Xbox.I know it doesn't sound like a very good brand,but they get the job done.I want to mess with the Max drive pro,but don't have enough money right now.I don't want to make a donation thing out of it either.I think it is cool how much progress is coming from SuperTed,but still I say keep it free for everyone if we all can do that.

18. Mr69ways

Mr69ways Guest

Well I just emailed Codejunkies about when they are going to release the Max Drive Pro (still says coming soon). I wish I could try ripping myself but unfortunely I dont have a copy of PSO. By the way keep up the good work SuperTed

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2004
  19. Clete2

Clete2 Member

Well, I'm just saying if he's too low on money, I'd be willing to help a bit.

20. rfjr23

rfjr23 Member

How bout an udate superted.......Ill help with donation too if needed