1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theory on burning GC

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by SuperTed, Sep 21, 2004.

1. stbd

stbd Member

udlras: try pinnacle InstantCopy. I tried to make disc image with this program, but it was slow as hell. making that image would have take days. try if you can do it faster. I got it working only in RAW16 and RAW96 mode. and check "ignore read errors".

2. stbd

stbd Member

btw dvd-drive I`m using is TOSHIBA ODD-DVD SD-M1802, if anyone is intrested.

3. kamaswami

kamaswami Member

his drive saying unknown format doesn't mean it can read the disc, i think it means it can't read the disc. in fact i think if i were to put a cd in there upside down it would say "unknown disc" or something like that. anyway...

to reverse the bytes you'd need to read them into an unsigned char array. an unsigned char is exactly one byte. and you can read whatever data into it that you want, i've done it to do byte by byte manipulations of bitmap files. anyway, read the disc into an array and then just right a function to reverse the array. then you've got the bits in the same order but the bytes reversed. a bitwise reversal would be a bit harder.

as far as this barcode stuff, i don't even know what that is so i can't help. why not just use some kinda psoload for linux? i think there is one out there somewhere. if not, i'm sure the PC one would load up with WINE.

back to waiting for half-life 2 to finish unlocking...

4. bigflavor

bigflavor Member

take a look on the inner ring of the discs.
    I forget exactly what it says, but I did a little research on both: the IFP and PDSC( http://company.monster.com/pdsc/ ).

Anyone tried a Panasonic DVD-rom? Anyone tried to figure out what encryption Nintendo used with the help of the organization the IFP?

Does anyone work for the PDSC and can get some more information?

The IFP is one of those annoying copyright protectors groups. Again, if you take a look at the inner ring of your gamecube discs, you'll see IFP v9gl or something like that. That's the version of the disc and, i'm guessing, the copyright encryption-type-shiz that they put on the discs.

yea,

Matt

5. udlras

udlras Guest

Ok blind write wouldn't accept the dvd, but blind write is going at 1mb every 3 mins so waiting for all the 1.63 gb should take awhile but will let it run to see what i get

6. stbd

stbd Member

udlras: it took me same time as well. i let it go up to 200MB. but it was still as slow sa it was before, then i just gave up.

7. udlras

udlras Guest

8. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

how long did it take to actually read the disc?
    before it said Unknown disc (or something)?

I wanna try doing something with this.

9. udlras

udlras Guest

What in? I have used loads of programs to try:
    Windows wont let you see the disc
    Blind write has two errors: if you try to copy strieght it says dvd rom unfinished, if you try to rip to the pc it says error or something.
    Instant copy is still going and is taking forever and when its finished i'll let you all know ( by the way stbd suggested 16 or 96 so i went with 96, hope that doesn't mess things up).

If you want an exact break down of how the disc loads:
    Pop it in the tray and then i takes about 5-mins to stop tyring to load it. Then try with anything but my computer. Everything recognises a disc with data but most can't do anything with it. (intresting side note, if i start the pc with the dvd in the disc tary windows xp hangs between the loading bar and actually loading)

its at 259mb at present will keep you updated

10. bigflavor

bigflavor Member

udlras,

for some odd reason, the first thing i thought when i woke up this morning was...
    "I'm gonna contact Nintendo, and tell them that I'm building a project for college." http://www.g4techtv.com/screensavers/features/42672/Yoshis_Latest_Boxx.html?

I'll try to say it's for a creative design class, last semester final project. And see if they'll send me a DVD-rom that'll read the discs.

I know that they make one. http://company.monster.com/pdsc/ PDSC is the company that burns the discs for them. So, it's probably some odd Panasonic dvd-rom. Has anyone tried to read the discs with any Panasonic DVD-rom drive? or dvd burners?

then again, $99 for a dvd-rom ain't too bad. Especially when it's a gamecube. Now if I only had soem capital and some electronics skills; then I'd be able to attempt to remove the drive from the Gamecube and keep it's functionality.

Well, anyone with a Panasonic drive, try reading this disc and let us know the outcome.

Peace,

Matt

Last edited: Nov 17, 2004
  11. stbd

stbd Member

raw16 and 96 increases size of the image, but those were only options that worked for me.

12. udlras

udlras Guest

stbd i tried just raw but it wouldn't work, hope i am not just wasting my time...So far its 348 mb (pc has now been on for 24 hrs) so even if this does work you'll probably have to custom build a pc that won't die from use. There has got to be a better way!

13. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

what did Nintendo tell ya?
    To order one from there?

So this isn't working yet.
    But like I thought before, we are on to something.
    Let's see what turns out.

14. udlras

udlras Guest

Superted, it is working (taking a very long time, still at 859mb of 1.63gb) but i don't know what exactly it is i will end up with. either way will continue to update. (p.s has anyone with a dual layer writer had a try at reading the disc?)

15. muhmann

muhmann Member

just send me a link to an instant copy demo and I'll try. WinXP and Nero are'nt able to recognize the disk.

16. Mr69ways

Mr69ways Guest

17. insomnia8

insomnia8 Member

i have a nec nd-2500 with dual layer firmware but it cant read GC discs

18. ouriço

ouriço Member

Hi everyone im new in here!
    I was wandering if anyone of you tried to "dissect" the NR-Writer software to see if it can found something. I have a txt file with the dissambly of NR-Writer software, anyone want it?

19. rfjr23

rfjr23 Member

I just tried a pioneer 108w/neil firware and tried a ide1004 and neither read anything

20. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

*runs to a Nintendo building nearby and asks for Mr. Hiroshi how the f#ck they were able to run those d#mned Panasonic mini-f#cking DVDs on their little boxes!!!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2004