1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theory on burning GC

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by SuperTed, Sep 21, 2004.

1. muhmann

muhmann Member

The link is only to buy Instant Copy and to VIEW a Live Demo in Flash but not to download anything without paying for it...

2. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

The software you are all talking about is not going to work.It is just like any ordinary burning program,which will write the disc not in reverse.The disc image would have to be made like said before byte by byte image.The program everybody is looking at is not going to get anywhere maybe in the future if a modchip comes out,but for right now not possible.

3. insomnia8

insomnia8 Member

I was wondering, is it possible to use other games than PSO to do this. like animal crossing for instance it is an on-line game as wel can you use it to boot? or are there other games that can do the same as PSO. i'm asking this because i cant find a copy of pso anywere. they just got em out of the shops for GC, XBOX on the other hand still has all the parts :(

4. Bizquick

Bizquick Member

Well guys I posted in another seciont about what I've been doing but part of the answer is in the DVD drives firmware. and I did extract that early this week. with some help from some tools. But I sent the firmware ware bin file to a buddy I know that works on firmwares and I'll see what he can tell me. I'm hopeing that maybe all of the moding can be done in the firmware iteself. but I really doubt it.I think I should make a sale on broke GC parts I got 2 broken GC's and 2 of them in peices and and 1 I will not touch till I'm done.

5. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Ive been thinking about this and the most obvious thing (I can think of) would be (read the full guide to gamecube backup/booting forum for more info) would be to as this guy has done get the bios from the gamecube and basically upload the info to a PC, then from there edit the info, then put it into a compatable format and voila upload it back to the cube... any ideas?

6. kamaswami

kamaswami Member

what someone ought to do (someone with money and the desire to demolish their GC) is take that firmware bios from the GC drive, and try force feeding it to some other panasonic dvd drive. or even just putting another panasonic drive in the gamecube. i mean... that panasonic Q thing has a non standard GC drive and still can do gamecube discs.

or maybe if you've got a gc drive to try in your computer, you could download firwares for dozens of other panasonic dvd drives and just keep trying til one of worked (or none of them do). if someone got a GC drive to show up as a drive on a PC that would be amazing, cause we know that drive can read GC discs. maybe with linux? cause linux isn't too picky about hardware with special drivers and all, from my exerience, everything is pretty much equal.

i dunno, i'm rambling and i suddenly don't feel like i have any good ideas right now but i'll post anyway

7. Bizquick

Bizquick Member

i don't think this firmware would work on any standard PC DVD drives. I would need the Firmware from that panasonic Q. I think that drive might be closer to a some PC brands. But what I'm hopeing my friend can do it Modifi this firmware code I gave him. So I could use it on a starndard DVD drive and read GC disc's this will help in getting that barcode info or anything really. I'll post info when I know more.

8. udlras

udlras Guest

so i now have a pd01 file (655,654kb)and an instant drive document (1,048,576kb)what should i do with them (can get hold of mini dvd 1.4gb from a local shop)

9. Mr69ways

Mr69ways Guest

10. udlras

udlras Guest

A) i haven't burnt it yet and B) i don't know if it will even work.

but will by mini dvd asap and try it out

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2004
  11. kamaswami

kamaswami Member

i just read that the GC discs are actually dual layered: http://atarilabs.com/meat/2001/0916_ngc.shtml

now this might be why we can't read them. if the GC uses two layers but only writes to the middle one, that would be a problem cause that's not the normal way of doing it or something.

might need a dual layer drive to read or write them.

12. rfjr23

rfjr23 Member

Hey kamaswami i have already tried a pioneer108 which is dual layer but maybe if other people that have dual layer burners can try there's

I dont know if it has been tried im sure its been thought of but is there a program that has been made or can be made to let the xbox recognize GC games seeing how we can ftp from the box.....just a thought

13. insomnia8

insomnia8 Member

as i said my nec 2500 with dual layer doesnt read them, and i think since the pioneer and this one are tested its good to say we tried the best quality burners and it wont work without a moddification

14. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I think the programs out as of now rip the disc from something important.I think kamaswami is right about the disc though.It could be because of the actual programs building the disc that it doesn't recognize them.They are ripping probably files that are hidden or something probably needed.

15. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I am using the Sony Dru-700A Dual Layered drive which is pretty nice.I haven't had a problem with it since I got it,and never had to mess with the firmware.I tried one of the GC discs,and it didn't pick it up as normal.I don't think it would matter if it did or not though,the actual disc would have to be emulated to build the image which burning the disc normal would fail to do or program.

16. udlras

udlras Guest

Hello all good news and bad news. The bad news is that the rip from the disc is a dud (but if anyone wants more info on it feel free to message me) In the dolphin emulator i get an error saying "unknown county code" wether or not this is because of the game being pal i do not know (but highly doubt it) The good news is that even if the copy is working the copy protection still has to be broken so either way the barcode still has to be gotten around.

(by the way does anyone have an action replay or other third party disc? If so could you check if there is a bar code on that thanks)

This is a bit odd when i try the orriginal pdi01 format as a gcm it comes up as region code [] (an actual box) then crashes. And if i use the pdi it give me region f

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2004
  17. ssjowowo

ssjowowo Member

to udlras..all gamecube discs have barcode, even action replay, freeloader or even the free cheat discs that come free with CUBE magazine (every month in the UK)..so i think only a hardware mod can get around the barcode protection

18. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Actually there is the chip that is still being worked on,which is forgotten I bet and should be mentioned again.I heard that the peeps making it where actually playing software discs,just not games with it because of 6 bytes of read error.I never seen another update of the progress or anything though,so that sucks for real.I agree it has to come from hardware to break the codes seal.

19. ssjowowo

ssjowowo Member

i don't know if they are just saying things but cubehacker.com says that they have info about a modchip release in two weeks. let's hope they are true!

20. rfjr23

rfjr23 Member