1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things you should try before posting here.

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by PWNed100, Feb 28, 2007.

1. PWNed100

PWNed100 Guest

Try scanning Safe Mode to get to Safe Mode:

1.You should print these instructions before continuing. They will not be available after you shut your computer down in step 2.

2.Click Start and then click Shut Down.

3.In the drop-down list of the Shut Down Windows dialog box, click Restart, and then click OK.

4.As your computer restarts but before Windows launches, press F8.
    On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press F8 when the boot menu appears.

5.Use the arrow keys to highlight the appropriate safe mode option, and then press ENTER.

6.If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access using the arrow keys, and then press ENTER.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anti-Virus/Spyware Tools:
    KasperSky: One of the best and my favorite anti-virus/spyware out there.

Avast!: Another great anti-virus scanner also has a boot-time virus scanner and On-demand scanner. Plus a VRDB (Virus Recovery Database) which instead of deleting files it reverts them to their original state.

BitDefender:Good anti-virus has a On-demand scanner.

AVG Anti-Virus: Not the best in my opinion but it gets rid of the small annoying things instead of downloading something big like KasperSky or Norton.

AVG Anti-Spyware: Again not the best but its better than nothing.

Windows Defender: Windows anti-spyware tool I have not used this yet so im not sure how good it is.

Zone Alarm Anti-Virus: Zone Alarm's fairly new anti-virus program.

Zone Alarm Anti-Spyware: Zone Alarm's fairly new anti-spyware program.

Mcafee: Great anti-everything very easy to use and understand.

Eset NOD32: NOD32 is another one of my favorite anti-virus tools. Teamed up with Kaspersky it the perfect defense in my opinion.

Panda Anti-Virus/Spyware: I used Panda software once and its pretty descent very easy to use very reliable.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Firewalls:

Zone Alarm Firewall: Great firewall i used it for a long time then switched to Sygate Firewall.

Kerio Personal Firewall: I have never used this firewall. (If you have or are using it post some info on this firewall)

Sygate Firewall: I use and like this firewall. Easy to use, powerful blocking power, and security logging to easily find info about your attacker.

Comodo Firewall Pro:Best FREE firewall out there. i am thinking about switching to it.
    Online Scanners:

Trend Micro Housecall

Panda Activescan

BitDefender Online Scan:IE 4+ is required

KasperSky Online Scan

eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner:IE 4+ required

Symantec Security Check
    Specific Virus Removers:

VirtumundoBeGone:For removing Virtumundo.

VundoFix:Another tool for removing Virtumundo.

SDfix: SDFix removes a multitude of SDBots/RBots/IRCBots/etc. It also repairs registry damage done by the Bots and scans for and makes you aware of the presence of any RootKits that are commonly dropped by them.(Thanks KotaGuy)

Avast! Free Removal Tool: For removing multiple types of worms

SmitfraudFix: This tool removes Desktop Hijack malware.
    Mirror
    Active X Protection:

Spyware Blaster

Spyware Guard
    Trojan Scanners:

a2 Free

Hybrid Scanners (trojan, virus, spyware):

http://www.ewido.net/en/

Tune-Up and Junk Removal:

TuneUp Utilities 2007:Has got to be the best tuneup program out there. Its like a Swiss Army Knife for your PC. It has way to many parts to it to type.

CCleaner: CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. It removes unused and temporary files from your system

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2007
  2. KotaGuy

KotaGuy Regular member

Minor correction needed...

SDFix removes a multitude of SDBots/RBots/IRCBots/etc. It also repairs registry damage done by the Bots and scans for and makes you aware of the presence of any RootKits that are commonly dropped by them.

3. PWNed100

PWNed100 Guest

Fixed thanks :)