1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinkg about using a HDTV as a tv and monitor

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dragnandy, Mar 7, 2010.

1. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

I plan on getting this hdtv and replacing it with my monitor.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889112033

My main reason is because its a big space saver, especially since im going to go to college soon. Anyways i have a few questions about the switch.

-Im pretty sure this tv is only 60hz, is there any reason to upgrade to 120hz? I believe my current monitor is at 60hz, but i dont know if itll take a big toll of watching tv.

-Will i need to buy like an antenna and connect it to the hdtv? Or will it pick up digital tv signals automatically?

-Does this monitor have a height adjustment and swivel features?

-Is there a way to use my computer speakers for the tv? Because i read that the built in speakers are very poor in the lows and highs.

I believe that is all. If you guys have any comment on the hdtv i chose or have better suggestions, please do tell. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  2. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

If your on a budget 60Hz is OK, but I myself, greatly notice the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz, anything over 120Hz is overkill.

For watching TV. You could pick up an antenna and connect it to your tv, or you can use cable. You'll only get a few channels though with an antenna (free service). But you NEED to have or buy a television service if not using an antenna (ie. Shaw cable). This TV isn't like a satellite or anything like that, it won't pick up signals wireless by itself.

I couldn't find any information on height adjustment (like a PC monitor), but the TV is able to swivel by 97 degrees.

For computer speakers, the TV doesn't seem to have an aux output. There's 2 S/PDIF outputs. So you might have to buy an adapter for that (aux to S/PDIF) if there is such a thing. I'm not even 100% sure if that would even work.

3. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

hmm i think the main problem is really going to be the sound. Is there anybody else who has suggestions that can help me?

4. jony218

jony218 Guest

The monitor has a headphone jack. You can always connect your computer speakers into the headphone jack and you should get some sound out of it.

5. keetouch

keetouch Member

I am phil fron keetouch, if u want to buy monitors just look at our site where you will get top class lcd monitors with affordable price.