1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about building a new computer and six months to a year. Is there anything especially interesting on the horizon.

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by wheelstb, Dec 5, 2012.

1. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

I have been purposely not following the hardware seen for some time. This way I can save money and avoid getting the unnecessary itch to upgrade my computer.

I'm currently running an Intel 930 and an Nvidia GTX 260 version 2 or whatever you want to call the second model they came out with to put AMD further back in the rearview mirror.

I know there will always be something newer and faster on the horizon but, I was wondering if there's anything notable coming down the pipe in the near future. it seems to me like AMD is coming out with some interesting products but Intel still has the edge in overall performance and will for the foreseeable future. At least as far as the CPU is concerned I really don't know anything about the new GPU's on the market.

Just looking for some basic information on what I might want to keep an eye open for.

2. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

Sorry, I accidentally put the post into the wrong forum.

3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

4. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

Thanks, I will definitely take a look at that thread.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved

6. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

im predicting we will see reasonable price 8core cpus in the next 6-12months.the specs are already on the net but the price isnt but they will come down in price once they have been perfected to run smoothly.heres one i found with a 30second google search

new graphics cards come out all the time.

7. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

I'm not doubting you or disagreeing with you. But I really surprised to see that 8 core CPUs are already on the verge of becoming commonly available or somewhat commonplace. Definitely sounds like fun though.

GPU's are difficult to keep up with. Some people change graphics cards like other people change underwear.

In fact, I just realized the other day that my Nvidia GTX 260 was given an update that now makes it capable of some kind of 3-D output. I don't know a lot about that feature yet I really haven't looked into it too much.