1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about buying a d box 2

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by bemused, Dec 9, 2006.

1. bemused

bemused Member

Hi Everyone

Just joined and thinking about buying a dbox 2 cable box, but seems a minefield in choosing where from and what one.

E.bay seems to have a lot on there at various prices, but they obviously don't state what they can do.

I am looking for the easiest one to get all of the channels available on Telewest and wont keep getting blocked, after reading some of the threads on this site it all sounds very complicated and riddled with problems, is there anyone that sells them already configured?.

Will carry on reading through all the threads to try and gleam as much information as possible, but any advice will be greatfully appriciated.

2. Raxxx

Raxxx Guest

Hi there i have a nokia dbox 2 working perfectly, its receiving all the channels on an ntl and telewest cable. PM if your intrested.

3. bemused

bemused Member

Just bought a starview, will let you know what its like when I get it, sounded less hassle than the others, but could not find out much about them, hope it runs alright.

4. rainst

rainst Member

bemused you will deffo have to get back to us about the starview.

what is the picture quality like?
    do all channels appear?
    has it freezed on you?

do you get the audio (narrating) playing over top of the ie a movie and if so can you turn that function off? with the starview

cheers

5. Raxxx

Raxxx Guest

Does the start view take dbox 2 images e.g. sportster commando?
    also is it on linux?

6. rainst

rainst Member

no it does not take dbox images. Not much online about starview.

I am deffo interested in buying one just dont know which one

dbox2 starview eurovox dreambox

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  7. Raxxx

Raxxx Guest

Yeh i had nokia dbox2 i sold it though. that was working perfectly.
    So do dreambox, starview and eurovox take images? becuase if they dont. when ntl changes a setting or something then how can we update the box

8. rainst

rainst Member

yeah each one of the others take images just not dbox images. With the dreambox starview and eurovox they all come with the latest uk image. Now i dont no where you get the latest images from butthey do come with modem/network cables to update the image if needed.

9. Raxxx

Raxxx Guest

Hmmm, thats the few reasons why i didnt buy any other box apart from Nokia dbox2.
    1) Not alot of people are talking about any of the other boxes
    2) Dont know where to get the images
    3) No help, Tutorials as no one seems to talk about them.

If i was to buy one i would need to know more people with the boxes to know they work properly, dont crash and so on.

10. rainst

rainst Member

I know what you mean...v hard to find info on any of those boxes...will be intresting to see what bemused makes of the starview box.

11. Raxxx

Raxxx Guest

Yep. If it works okay for him, then i might be intrested in getting a dreambox as it has a harddrive so you can directly record on to it. well i think it was the dreambox, its one of the boxes. lol

now we just got to wait for him to receive his starview.

12. fozzieb

fozzieb Member

You can add a hard drive to a dbox2

13. Raxxx

Raxxx Guest

you can? do you have a link of where i can buy this harddrive? or any further information on this.

14. fozzieb

fozzieb Member

can't remember now, search google for dbox ide adapter, it plugs in to dbox and lets you add your own ide hard drive.

i'll have a look and see if i can find link for you.

15. fozzieb

fozzieb Member

16. Raxxx

Raxxx Guest

Have you managed to set it up?

17. bemused

bemused Member

Thanks for all your replies, will keep you all informed when I receive it how it works (if it does lol).

Thought long and hard before choosing the Starview, but after reading other threads on this site, there seem to be so many problems on the others, there was lots of choices who to buy one from, but chose this one because feedback from his customers stating great service and product works as descibed.

Does not mean much to me but is supposed to have full working EPG and with this company comes with software installed, again supposingly EPG automatically updates, but if it does not, will supply me with any new software.

Time will tell, first hurdle is to actually get it.

Watch this post for further information.

18. bemused

bemused Member

Hi Raxxx

Hopefully the reason why nobody is talking about them on the forums or discussing where to get software updates is because they work so well that they don't need to, thats my hope anyway lol.

19. Raxxx

Raxxx Guest

Can i have the sellers name if he is on ebay?

i knwo this is going off topic and am sorry!

20. bemused

bemused Member

Hi Raxxx

If it works OK when I get it will certainly post name, but would rather wait until I get my one and check it does what it supposed to.