1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about switching over from Torrents to NEWSGROUPS

Discussion in 'Usenet newsgroups - Help, how-tos and discussion' started by jpizzle, Jun 12, 2009.

1. jpizzle

jpizzle Regular member

thinking about switchin over and I was just wondering what service you guys use and how much the monthly cost is?
    Thanks

2. etkasoe

etkasoe Regular member

Well you need to be downloading a whole lot to justify a newsgroup sub but for me i've used GigaNews and their platinum package which is as good as they come but real expensive. But there are lots of good providers out there just find the right package that suits you

3. putaro05

putaro05 Member

i had bad luck with newsgroups, not that many games where i was looking... i didn't really understand them though

4. AllTimeLo

AllTimeLo Member

My setup:

Usenet.com ($13 a month for unlimited downloads, best deal)
    NZB Matrix (One time fee of $10, worth it!)
    Newzbin (Private site, needs an invite, $4 for 8 weeks)

Although you may run into issues where you will need to repair some files because they don't come in iso's, overall it's defiantly worth it.

5. jpizzle

jpizzle Regular member

what is NZB Matrix for and if the files dont come in .iso format what format do they come in ?
    Thanx for your replies everyone

6. AllTimeLo

AllTimeLo Member

NZB Matrix is where you download everything (Like thepiratebay)

If they don't come in .iso, they will come in usually ~75 .rar files and you extract the last one.

They also come with .PAR files which repair the .rars if they need to be.

Send me a PM and I can help you get started :)

7. jpizzle

jpizzle Regular member

thanx i know about rar files but never needed to use a .par file to repair them

8. AllTimeLo

AllTimeLo Member

Well some games you download may be corrupt. But if you tell me some titles you looking for that I already downloaded, I E-Mail you the link that I used, so you know it works.

9. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

Alright, to go off of what AllTimeLo said, here is some info:

First off, I use Astraweb, which is pretty good. $11 a month with their special, PM me and I'll send you the link, or search for Astraweb $11 a month. Its unlimited with 20 connections. I've never had any problem with them.

I use GrabIt, but a lot of people like Newsbin for their reader. Grabit is free, can't remember how much NewsBin is.

For rars you will of course need winrar. You can actually unrar any of the rar files, it will automatically do it in order. The end result will be a .iso file.

Par files basically break the rars in to blocks, and each has a set amount of blocks needed. If they are missing some blocks then a par can be used to fix the file. IE, if a rar needs 50 blocks, but only has 47, if there is a par included with 10 blocks, it will use 3 of those to fix the corrupt rar file..... Hope that makes sense

What you will need is a reader(search for Grabit, or newsbins has a free trial), a server like astraweb, giganews, usenet, and some nzb's, from places like nzbmatrix. You can download files from nzbmatrix without being a member but there are a few limitations, like how old the posts can be and what info you can view, but you can still download the entire file. Also, download QuickPar. That will check the blocks in the rar files to find any that are corrupt and will fix them with the par files.

If you need any help there are plenty of people that will help you. Its really simple once you see everything the first time.

So, in conclusion, it costs me:
    $11 a month for Astraweb
    $14 for the lifetime membership to Nzbmatrix.

Thats it, not too bad really. And just for the fact you don't have to worry about seeders its worth the cost.

10. AllTimeLo

AllTimeLo Member

Definantly a good explanation right there!

I signed up for NZB Matrix and I'm pretty sure it's $10 for lifetime?

11. homesick

homesick Regular member

running newzbin and powerusenet here. way better than a torrent. pm me for details as well

12. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Usenetserver - $40 / 3 months unlimited w/ 10 connections
    Binsearch.info - nzb's - free
    Grabit - free

I don't understand why people pay for nzb sites when there's so many free one's. A newsgroup is a newsgroup.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  13. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

nzbmatrix says $10 a month but I think its not USD. I know it cost me about $14 I believe. Its been a while now since I've done it.

Well there are plenty here that are willing to help, and I agree with homesick, WAY better than torrents. You know the files are there, you know the speed is there(will basically max out your connection all the time, and speed is constant). Its well worth it.

I used torrents a couple times when I first started but they are too frustrating. The same files I can get off of a torrent that takes a day to download will take a little over an hour or even less with a newsgroup.

14. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

Well what you spend extra for usenet I save from astraweb and spend for a better organized nzb search. I paid for Nzbmatrix for the convenience of being able to go to the section with exactly what I want. Not having to worry with the newsgroups they are in or whatnot.

Its the same thing as going to a grocery store and buying a 2 liter for $.99 and buying a 20 oz thats cold for $1.29. Your just paying for the convenience.

15. vince15NJ

vince15NJ Member

newsgroups are alot safer and more reliable.... once you get the hang of it they're way better than torrents imo

astraweb: 11/ month for unlimited downloads and 20 connections.... i usually get around 1000 kb/s
    newzleech and nzbindex: free

You really don't need to use a paid site for getting NZB's anymore (the download files).... i can find anything i want on newzleech or nzbindex 100 percent of the time

Also, your ISP should have a free newsreader you can use for free.... just google it.... i have optonline and i can get stuff at about 150 kb/s

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  16. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

@ VINCE. The days are long gone since ISP's offered free newsgroups, atleast around my area. There are a couple but its just not worth it.

And whats your connection speed? 1000 isn't bad, but I get around 1500 kbs

17. vince15NJ

vince15NJ Member

I couldn't even tell you. I'm on wireless getting that though. I used the free optimum online newsreader for a few months before I ponied up for astraweb lol.

18. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

Wireless here too. Most any wireless routers can easily do up to 54 Mbs now, so thats not a problem.

I'm thinking about switching to a higher speed, downloading 6 GBs in an hour or less isn't enough now, lol. I like the idea of downloading an entire movie or such in 30 minutes. I'm just impatient I guess.

19. homesick

homesick Regular member

btw the NG server i use does not retain any records of anything, so if the 5.0 wanted to get you for something, they cant get any proof from powerusenet, because there is nothing.

20. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

What are the speeds on newsgroup? probably a bit faster than torrent depending on seeds on torrent. I max out at 1.5MB/sec on most recent torrents.

I mainly use torrent- Xbox Sky. Look it up it will save you money. But newsgroups are always good to have,