1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of building a PC...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by BLiND123, Oct 13, 2007.

1. BLiND123

BLiND123 Member

Can someone help me make a list on newegg.com to build a computer better than this http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7810487 for around the same price or less? I was actually going to go buy it earlier today but during a game of CSS I was told that I could make something better for less. I like the price on this RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820211066, I'm not sure if I should get Microsoft Vista Home Premium 32-bit or 64-bit. And I think I'm just going to get the monitor at Wal-Mart, seems it's going to be the same price on Newegg.com anyways (except with taxes here :p ).

I need something that can run my Steam games better and some of the new games that I might finally be able to try.

2. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

im also planning on building a new computer too =]. but yes, i believe building a computer would be cheaper, and in some cases better than buying prebuilt, because you can also pick what you want.

if you want a computer to play games and such, then you need to also look into the video cards. nVidia 8800 is a good video card but can get pricey, im not sure about ATI ones though because im not familiar with them.

your link to the ram doesnt show a specific type of ram, its just a search on memomry also, so you might want to edit that.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  3. BLiND123

BLiND123 Member

Oops, meant to link to this one here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211066 (it was the comma screwing it up) and I am trying to only use around $700 or less with shipping, monitor, mouse, and keyboard. :p As I said, would like to be able to run my Steam games (HL2, CSS, etc.) better than I do now with my current 504 MB RAM and Nvidia GeForce 5200 video card :p LOL. And I also need this new PC to use AutoCAD, kinda gets slow sometimes on my current PC so I haven't even bothered installing AutoCAD Viz on here, I use those 2 for class.

4. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

well, perhaps instead of spending 700 for new monitor and brand new computer, maybe you should just replace your parts, upgrade them. get new ram and add them on to your motherboard, buy new processor, and video card. they will all well be under 300 total (im guessing), and plus you can get like a 20" monitor too, still under $700.

whats AutoCAD and AutoCAD viz? never mind i just googled it. =P

5. BLiND123

BLiND123 Member

I bought my current PC from Wal-Mart, it's a 2.7 Ghz Celeron and the motherboard only has PCI slots. So I don't think it would be worth trying to upgrade anything else on this PC with all the video cards now using PCI-E.