1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is a little disturbing

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by bbmayo, Apr 11, 2005.

1. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hi all,
    Google has implemented a new feature wherein you can type someone's telephone number into the search bar and hit enter and then you will be given a map to their house. Everyone should be aware of this! Note that you can have your phone number removed or blocked. Before writing this, I tested it by typing my telephone number in google.com. My phone number came up, and when I clicked on the MapQuest link, it actually mapped out where I live. This is quite scary.

Please look up your own number. Read below for details. Think about it - if a child, gives out his/her phone number to someone they can actually now look it up to find out where he/she lives. The safety issues are obvious, and alarming. In order to test whether your phone number is mapped, go to: http://www.google.com / Type your phone number in the search bar (i.e. 555-555-1212) and hit enter.

If you want to BLOCK Google from divulging your private information, simply click on your phone number. Removal takes 48-hours. If you are unlisted in the phone book, you might not be in there, but it is a good idea just to check. If your number does come up if you hit map, it will show you a direct map to your house... Please forward on to friends and family.

2. retro78

retro78 Member

I live in the Netherlands, and that phone search didn't work at google.com nore did google.nl

so i guess this is a US problem !

by the way bbmayo,do you love mayonaise with your fries or somthin'??
    Or are ya Italian ?

3. arniebear

arniebear Active member

bbmayo, thanks for the info. I tried my number and it did not come up, but a friends did and I am sure that they do not want this information out there for all to see. I have forwarded this on to others so they can also check. Again, thanks.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

tried both .com & .ca of google & nothing showed

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You are lucky then.. I put my number in there and couldn't believe it. I also dod a few friends and 2 showed up but the other one didnt, but his number isn't listed so I think that has something to do with it..

6. ddp

i live in canada so might be different here. send google an email about safty concerns about kids

7. zippyd

zippyd Active member

I did and will let everyone know of their response....

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah I already did that too. I was just trying to get the word out.

9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I am not %100 sure but I think it may have something to do with if you have ever registered your details with a website and untick/tick the boxes to allow them to share you information with third parties.

Again I do not know whether that is true, but if it isn't that is REALLY bad and I think something needs to be done about that because that can have serious consequences.

I know that (here in the UK, and on ebay), companies get hold of the phone books here and put that database onto cd's etc and then sell them to marketing companies, therefore selling them your phone numbers etc.

It is funny because we live in a world where security is becoming a major issue regarding personal information, and the word annonymous is becoming an obsolete term..................

Very disconcerting indeed.............

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

LMAO......I just put my number and it came up with 4 names in my local area, all were women and they were all judges for a dogs association............................

It seems I live several lives.................wearing skirts, high heels and wigs.........LOL

11. ddp

in drag are you & what does the other half has to say about this???

12. haimback

haimback Regular member

i think this might be getting blown out of preportion,if you have your name in the phone book anyone can find out your address also maps are avalible in any local shop so it wouldnt be that hard to find your house from knowing your phonenumber.This really inst anything that major just using technology to do someone that could be done before a little quicker.

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah but someone in Dtroit for instance doesn't have access to a Savannah, GA phone book... Do you see where this is going? With all the Arse Holes out there preying on children this just makes it that much easier for them. I authorized my phone number to be in the local phone book not available to the whole friken world. You think they should have to get your permission for this.

14. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

I agree with you 110%, bbmayo. But it's nothing new really. All you have to do is go to http://anywho.com/ and do a reverse lookup. It's just the age we live in.

All's i know is when my daughter gets old enough to start getting online, she is gonna be so monitered it's not gonna be funny. I'm a grown man and i've met some true blue weirdos online that freaked ME out.

15. clouser

clouser Guest

oh great if the wierdos know my number they know my address fusking great.

16. ddp

clouser, try it on yourself to see if your number comes up. presently it appears to be in the states & no other country!!!

17. clouser

clouser Guest

tryed befor i posted it gave directions to my house

18. ddp

know anybody outside of the country to try it on???

19. clouser

clouser Guest

no one personaly just you guys. hey ddp does it go for canada?

20. ddp

nope!!!