1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is a shot in the dark.

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by Dreadsama, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Dreadsama

Dreadsama Member

Let me get to the point...Imma Mac noob. I can build my own PC's, I can program on Linux in C++, I can prety much tell you anything you need to know with a Pc - but with a Mac I'm Gilligan. o_O So, please, restrain your flames. I'm ignorant to Macs, I already know this, don't restate the obvious. That makes you look more retarded then I will about now...

So, I think I am going to purchase my friend's old G3 Ibook, 700 Mhz, with a 20 gig HDD, and 7 keyboard keys broken. If I were to somehow tear apart the ibook, would I be able to squeeze in a PC motherboard to run windows on it? o_O And possible give it a speed boost...not to mention fix the keyboard while I am at it?

2. tabletpc

tabletpc Guest

no

sorry

3. trigga71

trigga71 Regular member

wow, please dont waste your time or the ibook

4. Karma50

Karma50 Member

How much are you buying it for? Check out eBay for a parted-out or partially broken PC laptop. You realize there is no form factor for laptops, PC or Mac? Right?

Okay if you are still up for doing it, it is possible. I have some experience with moding a PowerBook from the same era. The G3 snow iBook is probably the best model to use. It is old enough for people to be discarding their old broken ones and parts, yet new enough for it to have USB (1 not 2) Firewire, some came with a CD burner/DVD reader (called Combo Drive) enough processing power and RAM capacity for most modern day apps. tops PATA Hard Drive Controller.

But you say you want a PC board in it. You would have to get it from a PC laptop so it is a low-power, low-heat style and it is small enough. You would also have to really work to get it in there since none of the screws will line up and it won't fit around the Disk drive, battery, HD, et al. But if you go a small enough motherboard it might work.

You might have to do some soldering to get the power supply to connect and make some of your own ribbon cables for things like the CD drive (those kinda have to be the perfect length.

If you are serious keep us posted and keep asking questions but if you want the easier way by a comparable PC laptop and fix it up. Alot cheaper and easier.

Good Luck!