1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THIS IS FOR YOU EXPERTS ON PROBLEMS WITH BURNING AT 4x WITH THE LG-GSA-4040B

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by DVDExpert, Oct 14, 2003.

1. DVDExpert

DVDExpert Guest

You see I myself reply on alot of forums and help people out well I got a stumper for you guys!!!

I have the lg GSA-4040b dvd writer, i use dvdshrink to compress movies and nero burning rom 6.0 to burn them. Nero wont recognize the burner as a 4x burner even without inserting media. When i insert high quality 4x media (maxell, pioneer) it still only lets me burn at 2x. I have upgraded the firmware, reinstalled the drive, reinstalled the software. Anybody got any clue why i cant record at 4x???

2. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Have you checked your DMA settings? If it's in PIO mode it may not be able to communicate that fast with the drive.

If you aren't sure where to check the DMA settings, let us know what O/S you are running.

3. DVDExpert

DVDExpert Guest

Its in UDMA mode 2, that is not the problem

Running windows XP pro.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2003
  4. Blender

Blender Member

Hi there!
    I had exactly the same problem, untill I downloaded the latest Firmware which is A301.
    Give it a try, get the firmware from here:
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1628
    Please do always follow the instructions in the readme file !!

/Blender

5. smash929

smash929 Member

Hey any solution to this problem? i have a301 firmware and udma mode 2 enabled, and i still cant burn at 4X in nero. any other solutions? thanks

6. DVDExpert

DVDExpert Guest

I have looked up and down right and left and still cant find a solution for this problem chances are that this problem will be solved within the next 6 months with a new firmware update. I have called lg reporting exaact details on errors about its compadibility issues on obtaining the maximum burning speed from the firmware. By the way what 4x dvd-r or dvd+r media are you using smash929?

7. smash929

smash929 Member

i dont know what kind of media im using, its just some no name stuff thats 4X, i checked it with dvdnfo and it is 4X. i also use nero 6.0.0.19 and it will only detect my dvd burner at 2x, media doesnt matter. when i choose recorder it shows only 2X but my cd burner shows 52X, something is wrong with this stupid drive.

8. Hadoken

Hadoken Member

i have exactly the same problem here:
    UDMA 2, firmware A301, win xp pro, nero 6.0.something
    maybe it's because of win xp pro? because a friend of mine running win 2000 pro can burn at 4x with no problems.
    If anybody happens to find a solution please let us know

Last edited: Nov 10, 2003
  9. smash929

smash929 Member

what can we do? this is getting annoying, i bought a 4x dvd burner to burn at 2x i might as well have boughten a 2x burner

10. klant

klant Member

I have the exact same problem with my drive, it burns dvd+ in 4x but not dvd- no matter what brand I use, even the once that LG recommend will only work in 2x.
    I see people with the exact same problem all over the internet so LG need to get a better firmware out asap.

btw: someone said that you are no longer able to rip dvd's after the A301 firmware has been installed, anyone know anything about that?

11. smash929

smash929 Member

any news on burning on 4X? i feel like i wasted my money buying a 4x and only being able to burn at 2x.

12. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

- Chill out on pressuring the forum dude. Try different media... DVD burning is just like CD burning -- except pickier.
    - If their record with CD burners is any indication, the LG DVDburners are POSs
    - Try a crapload of different types of media before you consider returning the drive.

13. smash929

smash929 Member

nero wont even detect it as a 4X drive without a disc in it, media isnt the problem, maybe you should read before replying "dude" . my CD burner shows up at 52x but the dvd burner shows up at 2x with NO media in the drive on either

14. DVDExpert

DVDExpert Guest

Well I have tested this drive on all windows operating systems 95,98,2000,ME,XP HOME, XP professional and with no success have I obtained a 4X write speed. I have tried nero, Easy cd creator, click and burn and still have had no success. "I should have got the pioneer 106"

15. smash929

smash929 Member

i agree with the 106

16. kaizer99

kaizer99 Member

I have been facing the same problems of some of you above, and i have tried the very exact possible solutions, i checked on nero's page, www.ahead.de, and in fact the GAS-4040B model its not part of the suported recorders list for LG manufacturer, but using the software provided by the recorder, the B Gold 5, i think it might work to record DVD-R and +R at 4X, have anyone used B gold?

17. kaizer99

kaizer99 Member

sorry mates, this recorder its compatible with nero (last version) , but the maximum speed i can get its 2.4X...has anyone solved this yet?

18. smash929

smash929 Member

19. mroos

mroos Member

burning with nero 6.0.0.19 at 4x with +&- discs without any problems
    i have only problems with princo dvd-rw discs
    i have tried it with xp and 2000
    i have firmware a301

20. DVDExpert

DVDExpert Guest

Funny you mention that princo was supposed to be supported at 4x write with the new A301 firmware update. I have got mine to finally burn high quality media (pioneer, maxell, lg, tdk etc) at 4x but still no luck with all the no name brand discs like e3works, princo, ritek etc.