1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THIS IS IT. SPELL CORRECTLY NOW GODDAMNIT.

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Toiletman, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

The claim that was made was in the conversion of writing something on a mac, then copy and pasting. All the spaces were removed. This is not true, the Ascii will screw up but the spaces don`t. I am just glad I haven`t seen that here yet.

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Well at least that one's inventive. It certainly beats some of the people who come here and get insulting if you want them to actually type words instead of abbreviations, but yeah, that's pretty damn annoying.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2004
  3. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Mind if we add a rule about incomprehisble sentences to "Da Rules"? =)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's having such a problem with this.

One other thing, people who want help or advice need to put a bit more information than just:

"Hello I am having a computer problem. I have a keyboard and mouse and a monitor plus I use Windows XP"

Worse still, if they don't know how to write proper sentences, PLUS they don't give enough information:

"hello guys i am haveing a comp prob i have a keyboard n mouse n a monitor pluz i use windows xp. plz plz plzzz help me k bye g2g thx!"

It's just that I see so much of these posts it's really starting to get to me.

4. hijacker

hijacker Guest

Plez Chek Ur spelun in ta for umm.Sum pee pole are ma duh at u.U may need a dickshunary.Toy lett man is mad.

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

If (stupidPosts.count.increase) {user.account.active = false;} else {keepPosting;}

Then there's this memorable thread: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/45965

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I thought I was alone, and drifting through a barren communication free wasteland, while being constantly bombarded by the grunts and groans of its online wildlife.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2004
  7. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Nope were all here together. I just read a post about exterminating the Iraqies. I think there are all kinds here, spelling and grammer are just the first to fall a the waste side.

First you need the spelling,
    then you find the gramer,
    Then, (long pause intentional) You get the women.

8. andmerr

andmerr Guest

@ Prisoner: man let me be the first to help edit your post

(Theonesthatdonthaveanyformofspaceorpunctationandcan'tbereadifyourlifedependedonit.)

The ones that dont have any form of space or punctation and can't be read if your life depended on it.

9. Xian

Xian Regular member

I remember getting a laugh out of a similar topic a few months ago.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/65851

drchips was complaining about the grammar, spelling, and lack of punctuation, and the very first reply had no capitalization or punctuation and the sentences all running together.

Myself, I ignore teh (intentional) obvious errors but if I can't read and comprehend the post I can't help with the question.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2004
  10. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Well... shall we add something to the rules? And maybe even delete threads that are incomprehisble?

Or should I just bitch and whine in every thread in the advantage I can add more to my post count, plus I get to flame someone with lots of swearwords intentionally?

11. Praetor

But then you might catch a boom.

And what would that bitching and whining contribute to AD?

Case by case T-man.... case-by-case

12. roeod4

roeod4 Regular member

I think this is a topic that needs to be handled with a certain amount of smart ass in it. Most of these little kids who have learned and created these stupid little short cuts are only going to act up when you ask them to re-type their posts. Many of them are going to become just as belligerent as the people who get called on rule breaking. My suggestion is that someone should go back on each offending post and translate for the rest of us. Each post should be handled with the correct amount of smart ass and would look something like this:

Illiterate Post: i hav prob wit my comp n need hlp i dnt now 2 much n im new so hlp me plzzzzz! i hop u r abl 2 hlp me!

Translation for Post: May I please ask, with the utmost humility, for the help of the all knowing and intelligent members of this forum. For I am new to the computer world and I seek guidance in the art of Dvd Burning. At this point I would like to list my computers specifications, so that someone may provide me with the correct answer to my query. I sincerely await any replies that you may provide me.

What do you think?

13. vurbal

I think it reminds me of a scene in Airplane 2 when they needed a translator in court for 2 guys who spoke jive. On a more serious note it would at least be a way to make the point without being rude.

14. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

first Congrats Vurbal on making Senior, well deserved.

But on topic, if all that happened what would we have to talk about here. I know it is really frequent, but you really need to be suttle in reply. Try responding in 17 century english. I will have to find an ascii key for it though as some of the letters were drawn differently back then. Or just look at German, there is so many different spellings depending on the year.

15. vurbal

Thanks Prisoner.

In reality, I may talk the talk in this thread, but the next time I see a thread like that I'll probably handle it the same way I always have. Depending on my mood, and the apparent attitude of the poster, I'll decide to ignore it completely, point out that around here we expect people to communicate coherently and then try to help anyway, or (if they're being downright rude) let them know that we expect them to show some manners and still probably lend a hand. You have to piss me off pretty bad to get a reaction from me on a message board. It's happened a couple of times (at least once here) but I don't consider much of this serious enough to take personally.

And then of course I'll come back here and vent some more.

16. VLJ

VLJ Member

This thread is a long sonofabitch that is going...nowhere

17. andmerr

andmerr Guest

hey prisoner maybe you give us some help not really any good with putting 'thees and thou 's ' in my post as if i was in the 17th century.

Oh, verbal also congrats on your promotion to senior.

VLJ :This thread is a long sonofabitch that is going...nowhere

isnt it time for oriphus to make an appearence and liven this thread up or is he still stuck on his soccer thread

18. Praetor

Um if you mean drag it off topic, no. Otherwise, certainly

19. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Oriphus nor needs there any curiofity in the day of thoust post. But if it be a little cloudy, that cannot much prejudice the forum, fo the Oriphus do but fhine diftinEtly through the cloud.

There aren`t any spelling mistaks there.

Can you tell I have been reading the Philosophical Transactions (1665) there are available online.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    I am not a number
    I am a Free Man[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2004
  20. andmerr

andmerr Guest

lol : prisoner that was just beautiful :
    my hats of to you sir.