1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THIS IS IT. SPELL CORRECTLY NOW GODDAMNIT.

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Toiletman, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

You regularly get in the habit not being able spell properly Prisoner?

2. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Ya the last sentence is miss spelled.
    should read:
    Can you tell I have been reading the Philosophical Transactions (1665), they are now available online.

I know most of the spelling threads are against me. But I will win, One day gadget, one day.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    I am not a number
    I am a Free Man[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2004
  3. Praetor

I was referring to this gibberish:
    :p

4. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Oh you forgot to read ahead. I actually wrote that in 17th century english sytle. Thats why I have that statement about reading 1665 journal article.

For the 21st Century it would read:
    Oriphus doesn`t need consistancy in his posts. But if he is unclear, then we should not look down on him, as Oriphus shines through.

For others it would read:
    da Oriphus not need to be down on topic, as his jive is really cool man.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    I am not a number
    I am a Free Man[/small]

5. mdl3r1

mdl3r1 Member

Speaking of opinions, here's mine on Toiletman's ranting:
    While everyone is entitled to rant and get upset sometimes, Toiletman demonstrated great justification for his nickname, with all that cursing. That's where all that horrible speech belongs, or came from.
    Ok, so you're upset...why didn't you just say that, and describe why? In fact you did...just that you added all that trash and cursing that helped no one, least of all yourself, and you certainly did not edify nor help anyone. It might have been amusing, but only to those that find cursing amusing...
    -most people eventually reach a point where they realize that cursing is not the way to "emphasize our views" or "make our opinion more powerful". All it does is reflect poorly on the one using such "language".
    -cursing is called that because, believe it or not, words have a powerful effect, either for positive or for negative effect. Speaking such things actually "curses" people, whether it's curses or just saying stuff like "you are a piece of trash; you'll never amount to anything". Many parents yell that at their kids when they cannot express their feelings, but rather, puke them onto their kids...so they say that to their kids, etc. Often tha kind of unkind talk lays stuff on people that they often take a lifetime to realize, let alone try to get out from under.
    -if those people misspell things, and are indeed kids that think that gibberish is cool, then maybe they need an adult or someone "more enlightened" to tell themn that what they were told is cool is actually annoying, counterproductive to their needs, and basically unnecessary junk. But, to get stark-raving mad, and go on a murderous spree with your mouth, is unwise, unproductive, detrimental to many, depressing and reflecting poorly on yourself, your coping skills, and humans as a whole.
    -I mean, did you have a bad day, and that gibberish put you "over the edge"? Or did many things add up to your "blow up"? Please understand, I sympathize: we all get frustrated as heck sometimes, life isn't always a bed of roses for anyone, but to allow ourselves to "go off like that", simply does no one any good (though you might say you 'felt better for venting"), and there ARE better ways to vent, release, and still keep from puking that garbage that they gave you, back out to us, with interest!
    -I read down after that, just to see if anyone "balanced out" toilet's puking, but no one either dared to "disagree" with the "dude who has a point" or were intimidated to risk receiving a similar onslaught in return for presenting toiletman with "disapproval".
    -I know, that I am not your guardian, daddy, teacher, policeman, or anything that "gives me the right" to try to tell you anything, so no need to go there, or in one of 20 directions you could to try to "reply back" to my comments; no defense is necessary from you, because there really isn't any anyways. Whether you see it or not, there was no need for all that mess you spewed out. All it shows is that you are unable to withstand stress-causing factors to keep your frustration from exploding in a very negative way; no self-control, and no ability to make lemonade out of lemons. It si the duty of the greater to help the lesser, so if these kids are bad in what they do, teach them better, and demonstrate some character and dignity and virtue instead. You would make your corner of the world, or neighborhood, or this forum, a better one. But, if you're too bitter to care or want to, then that shows.
    -Others had better alternatives while still disapproving of the bad-spelling kids: and they still kept it non-toxic. So, we can all state how senseless and unintelligent such gibberish can be, and yet refrain from excessive anger and cursing words.
    -as your own signature stated, all have anb opinion and you can respect it or not. Well, the acid test is, can you respect my opinion. You have and had your right to state yours, and so do I for mine. And so, I've said it, and you can do whatever you want with it:nothing at all, ignore it, insult it, rant and rave against it, insult me, whatever...or, you could see if there's anything in it that can help you. They say that cursing is simply someone who does not know how to express the same thing without employing such language; perhaps you could resolve to "get better" as a person, by rising to the challenge and improving beyond the need to use such offensive language, caring for offending others, and also healing your inside emotions to where you are not a "time bomb" waiting to be triggered into going off: words or physical violence, same: one wounds and hurts the soul, the other wounds and hurts the body: man has both, and you hurt much with your words and curse words.
    -I'm certainly not mad at your or angry, or even "against you": it's just stating what I saw and sensed in you speaking volumes through all that terrible stuff. It's sad, more than anything, and a pity and a shame, that man deals with man like this: the "reasons" are not really what makes reactions have to be that way: it's our inability to deal with those things that happen. And that gibberish instance # 2,000 was the drop that filled the glass for you...too bad you have not found a way to "empty the glass" periodocally, so you don't "overflow" on bystanders like you did.
    -Until now, I thought the world of this forum and its people...now I can't help but think a little bit less...it's like towns that keep clean, and others throw trash everywhere and don't care, and don't think it matters...people drive by, and they are grieved, turned off, and certainly don't feel like they want to come back...all these things are either attractive or repellent.
    -Another note: another forum for CD'e etc actually states "no cursing" in the rules...and while rare, there's a couple posts (out of thousands) that someone cursed, and the moderator promptly edited it and stated a nice but corrective "cursing not allowed" statement. I hoped that such would also be the action of those with the responsibility for maintaining the character of the forum. I was confused to see that the moderator (please realize, no offense; just a fact) failed to say anything in response. ofr us it's our opinion, and certainly no need to "get involved"...but i would think it's a "duty" for a moderator to , well, moderate.
    -I don't transfer the acts of one or two or a few to "the whole forum"...but how it is conducted, or lack of it, gives its impressions too. Nothing's perfect, doesn't have to be, but somehwere is a line...and averyone has opinion on where it is crossed. Mine is, toiletman went way over it, and the moderator probably needed to provide toiletman some correction and constructive guidance, for the good of the forum at large. Some othose words, and even the title of this "thread" is downright ugly, and unnecessary.
    Just my response and review to your "gibberish".
    Peace. (hope i didn't have misspellings or lack of cohesion, for it seems there is no mercy here for such faults). Sad.

6. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

mdl3r1,
    This may surprise you (or not), but I pretty much agree with your sentiments. In most cases avoiding foul language is a better way to make a point. There have been times when I've been tempted to curse at someone on an internet forum, but I don't know that I ever have because I don't find it appropriate or as effective. However, if you look at some of Toiletman's early posts when he first got here I think you'll find that he posted language like he has here in threads outside the Safety Valve and was immediately warned to knock it off, and for the most part he has. I'm sure if he responded to one of these gibberish posts like that he'd be reprimanded again, so I don't mind if he comes to the Safety Valve occasionally and swears like a sailor to vent.

7. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Holy fusking shit. That's a hell of a long post. Meaningless to me as well.

My simple reply to this is:

This is the Steam forum. I can rant and rave here.

8. Praetor

Opinions yes but lets not turn this into a name calling session (naturally I am in now way condoning or supporting his reaction(s), I am keeping an eye on it).

Good point but after you deal with 5000 posts where people just cant seem to be competent posters... things do get to ya ... then again Toiletman is nowhere near 5000.

Intimidate nothing. The kid has a point -- he just hasnt got the (literal/linguistic) maturity to express it properly -- he's only like 14 or something lol. 'sides it doesnt happen often around here -- and this is Safety Valve -- which is why the thread is still open and as long as it doesnt degenerate into a flamefest then it will remain open.

A good point and note that I am keeping an eye on it. Everyone is entitled to their random explosion from time to time and as long as it doesnt get too ugly or personal then its ok -- provided it takes place in Safety Valve.

Let's not start these games, I'm too tired for word-games. You and I both know that Toiletman doesnt represent the bulk of active AD users who cant stand such posts and you know damn well that your post was perfectly acceptable and that the rest of us are referring to those stupid all-caps, leet or otherwise abbreviated/crippled posts.

Oh ever so true ... its much more of a challenge to play things diplomatically however you must agree that takes a certain degree of literal/linguistic maturity -- something one cant expect from everyone.

Indeed and he was "reminded" as such but yeah, that's what the Safety Valve is for .... so VENT GODAMMIT VENT!!! :p

Cheers.

9. vurbal

Yeah, I'll agree with that completely. And once I got used to Toilet's occasional tourette's syndrome moments I figured out he was a pretty good guy. My language wasn't any better at that age, and I seem to have grown up (and learned better) just fine.

10. Praetor

LOL yeah... I miss being .... young. LOL ... 'sides if it really gets out of hand, Toiletman lives about an hour away from me ... i can give 1 on 1 etiquette lessons :p

11. vurbal

That's good to know - for the rest of us anyway 8D

12. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

In my not so humble opinion, I think that sometimes swearing at the right place at the right time, is a hell of a lot more effective. I'm a guy who likes to be straight to the point you see, without all that posh nonsense that's eeny meeny total meaningless and unecessary to me.

Actually, more to the point:

I swore because I was really pissed. And right now I'm still annoyed.

13. Praetor

Yes and according to that philosophy ... you shouldnt waste words on cussing at people.
    IN EITHER CASE, -- watch your language and tone -- let's keep AD in good taste.

14. andmerr

andmerr Guest

hey toiletman send me a PM with your best curses, being awhile since some one livened my day up so give it your best shot

15. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Mmmm the good taste of AD. I like eating it for lunch.

Wow one super long post and you guys go crazy all night. But playing nice is a good thing. We don`t have to kiss Arse, but acting good has its benifits.

16. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Yes, I agree very much on that subject, I shall try and keep my outrageous behaviour from happening at most times, in the utmost respect of course. It is a pity that I shall no longer be able to express my childish incompetence, but I shall keep my word.

17. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Well you can still be childish, but just watch the correctly observable language. You can still call poeple smegheads, Smooothers, muckmucks and fartinugins. I really hate thouse fartinugins, and no one gets hurt.

18. roeod4

roeod4 Regular member

Yes, all those are good, but can he still call someone a smacktard?

19. Praetor

Yeah or me and Prisoner can pay a visit and give you grammer/etiquette lessons! :p Muahahaha

LOL no_Oh wait .... yes ... yes he can.... (devious grin)

20. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Well you could call someone as smacktard, but the mod delete finger might be right over your head.
    Preator, some words that we don`t know are really offensive in the UK. I just noticed I put smeg, which some do find bad. But Smeg, Prat, Git and shag are just funny.