1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THIS IS IT. SPELL CORRECTLY NOW GODDAMNIT.

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Toiletman, Jun 20, 2004.

1. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

Yeah, I agree. If they want us to help out, then they should explain their problem in full words so we can understand them!!!!

2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@everyone...I've gone back to read quite a lot of the old threads; the one difference I see is the language; it seems the site was far more tolerant of foul language than it is now ... not a criticism though, I know we've got a lot of kids here (like they're little angels LOL!)

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@gerry1 - i know, i've stumbled on this one before and the language made my toenails curl. well it didn't, i just thought there's no way that kind of language is tolerated in this day and age, gotta protect our younger viewers :p

4. pepsimaxx

pepsimaxx Regular member

once again. i am gonna refer irelands bitching thread :p

=pepsimaxx=

5. andmerr

andmerr Guest

if we want to progress to be seen as a site for all generations, we need to be seen to do the right things.Curbing foul language is one of them.Its not really needed is it and we all can speak to each other reasonably well ,debate, discuss with out bringing the forum down to a gutter level.

Back then we had some issues but now it seems we are getting a handle on it and progressing forward, i [bold] just wish that they could spell a bit better.Its being 2 years since i decided to revisit this thread [/bold] not much is changed except the language is now being monitored better

6. ireland

ireland Active member

just info,

Proper spelling is the writing of a word or words with all necessary letters and diacritics present in an accepted, conventional order. It is one of the elements of orthography and a prescriptive element of language. As a means of transcribing the sounds of language into alphabetic letters, spelling, however officially sanctioned, often offers but a rough and inconsistent approximation.

Whereas uniformity in the spelling of words is one of the features of a standard language in modern times, and official languages usually prescribe standard spelling, Minority languages and regional languages often lack this trait. Furthermore, it is a relatively recent development in various major languages in national contexts, linked to the compiling of dictionaries, the founding of national academies, and other institutions of language maintenance, including compulsory mass education.

Learning proper spelling by rote is a traditional element of elementary education. In the US, the ubiquity of the phonics method of teaching reading, which emphasizes the importance of "sounding out" spelling in learning to read, also puts a premium on the prescriptive learning of spelling. For these reasons, divergence from standard spelling is often perceived as an index of stupidity, illiteracy, or lower class standing. The intelligence of Dan Quayle, for instance, was repeatedly disparaged for correcting a student's spelling of potato as potatoe at an elementary school spelling bee in Trenton, New Jersey on June 15, 1992. In fact, "potatoe" is a variant historical spelling now in disuse.

Divergent spelling is also popular advertising technique used to attract attention or to render a trademark "suggestive" rather than "merely descriptive": qwik, donut, or tonite, for example.

Spelling evolves, often from a principle of alphabetic thrift rather than phonetic rectitude: catalogue becomes catalog. Despite this, in countries such as the US and UK without official spelling policies, many vestigial and foreign spelling conventions work simultaneously. In countries where there is a national language maintenance policy, such as the Netherlands and Germany, spelling reforms were driven to make spelling a better index of pronunciation.

Since traditional language teaching methods emphasized written language over spoken language, a second-language speaker can have a better spelling ability than a native in spite of having a worse command of the language.

The International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) aims to provide a medium of alphabetic characters to transcribe all sounds in all languages.
    [edit]

See also
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling

7. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

They should add this to the rules (spelling out all the words that you are trying to say) Then, if they don't follow them, just ban them, as easy as that! LOL

8. ireland

ireland Active member

this should be added to the rules....

Here is a list of activities to use when practicing your spelling words.

1. Rainbow Words - Write your spelling words with a crayon. Trace over each word again with another color. Now trace each word one more time with another color. Do not use black or brown.

2) Write the words on someone's back (and vice versa.)

3) Write the words in sand, dirt, bubbly bath water, whipped cream, shaving cream, etc..

4) Write the words in the air.

5) Make flashcards to study and review.

6) Modeling clay writing - Flatten the clay and use a pencil to "write" a spelling word in it. Smooth over the clay for the next word.

7) Write the words with colored chalk on black construction paper.

8) Use your spelling words to write sentences.

9) Make a word search.

10) Have Mom or Dad scramble your spelling words for you to unscramble.

11) Write the words in ABC order.

12) Cut your spelling words out of a magazine or newspaper.

13) Write your spelling words. In each word color all the short vowels yellow. Color all the long vowels blue. Color all the blends green.

14) Draw pictures of your spelling words.

15) Play a game of Hangman using spelling words.

16) For a real challenge, use the letters of the spelling words to make sentences. For example: "storm" Susan tasted only red marshmallows.

17) Cut a picture from a newspaper or a magazine and use spelling words to write a story about a picture.

18) Use a spray bottle and spray the word onto the sidewalk.

19) Look at a spelling word, say it out loud, cover it up, remember how the word is spelled and write it out. Check your answers.

9. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

LMAO ireland, that's some good shtuff!!
    I wish that I was a mod so that I could add these to the rules! LOL

10. creaky

now this thread has been resurrected i've toned down some of the language for our younger viewers, the language must have been ok a couple years ago but not anymore :)

11. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

lol, he says blumming alot, now

12. creaky

first thing i thought of, it's not to offend Toiletman (in case he's still subscribed!)

13. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

This thread is spot on. If one cannot even be bothered to use correct grammar, rather than "txt typ", then why should others answer their questions?

That's probably my biggest annoyance about message boards in general.

The odd bit of slang is fine, but it's when some get so lazy that it's hard to understand the question..

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  14. ireland

ireland Active member

i say cuts the mis-spellers a break,as i am not a perfectionist i tend to over look mis-spelling that is if the word is mis-spelled so bad i ask for a meaning of there thoughs.and not insult them..

also they are not here to be told about there mis-spelling,they are here for help with one of the other topics...

also ye got to realize not every person is a good speller..

dam i had to edit because of a mis-spelled word..

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  15. creaky

misspelling is fine, i do it a lot around here, type too fast LOL. that's why most of my replies are edited. however whilst i can txt speak on a mobile phone as good as some kiddywink i detest seeing it on a forum, it's absolutely evil outside of mobile phone txts..

16. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

Yeah, I'm fine if somebody doesn't know how to spell a word, just when they start things such as:

i nd hlp wth m ipd cuz its broke nd i need to fx it

17. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

18. creaky

lmao, nice one Neph

19. jazo123

jazo123 Guest

Right on the money!

20. janrocks

janrocks Guest

heh.. I read this again for a laugh and then went back to my account page.

The very next entry on the right below this one is...

That's great, I needed cheering up some ;)

And I made a typo too!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2006