1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THIS IS IT. SPELL CORRECTLY NOW GODDAMNIT.

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Toiletman, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Oh man, this thread brings back some good old AfterDawn memories. =D

BTW: Hahaha, I just realised you edited out my "grammar". =D

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  2. andmerr

andmerr Guest

i thought given when you originally postd this that it was time to revisit as nothings changed except you decided to visit .Yo toilet, have you still got a foul mouth young man

3. tocool4u2

tocool4u2 Guest

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@tocool4u2 - sorted.
    (i do understand it but many ppl won't, and shouldn't have to)

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

man i will admit i cant spell well ,i try though .do we have spell check in here LMAO !!!

6. tocool4u2

tocool4u2 Guest

I understand when people can't spell...and i won't say anything..But some people do it on purpose like they are talking on AIM or Instant Messenger.............
    Like Wuz and Cuz and 2(to)
    Stuff like that

7. Randy1701

Randy1701 Member

Gotta agree, I hate trying to decipher what someone is trying to say. But as you can see from the way I started this that I don't believe people have to always be grammatically correct, can't use some slang or abbreviations or have the occassional typo. A lot of times it's just difficult for someone to come up with the proper question to ask or how to describe their particular problem without the inconvenience of deciphering their shorthand. I'm a little better at typing than my brother, a great deal better at spelling than my sister-in-law and couldn't begin to decipher what my niece IM's to her friends. The big thing is that this "kidspeak" garbage is becoming too widespread for anybody's good. It becomes like any other bad habit, hard to break. After all, with this type of forum it really isn't necessary to type a message quickly or worry about how many letters you use. It's more important that you get your question across clearly to the most amount of people to ensure the best chance of a helpful response. Of course one of the signs of maturity is knowing when something is appropriate and when it isn't. Which leads to the other popular theme in this thread -

Cursing.
    OK. This one is a double edged sword. I disapprove of it mostly when just used caually, but understand when it is used expressively or to make a point. When I was growing up I only heard my Dad curse when he was extremely upset about something. "You do that again and I'll beat your ass" doesn't count. And of course Mom always would tell him to watch his language. And that was pretty much the attitude taken by all the adults in my neighborhood. Cursing meant you had pushed someone too far, time to back off. The only word that was absolutely forbidden was the F word, that was considered too crass and vulgar for anyone to use. Don't really understand that one since there were other phrases that were much more descriptive and vulgar than that. Of course that attitude has changed drastically over the decades. Now cursing is just normal everyday speaking for a lot of people. Once again - habit. And as such it has lost a lot of its meaning, it doesn't mean that you have pushed someone too far. But people at the other end of the spectrum annoy me just as much. Those who think foul language is a sign of ignorance tend to lecture on it as if it were some sort of indication of social standing, "you just don't seem to have the proper vocabulary to carry on an intelligent discussion." Politicians, businessmen and customer service representatives have the most inventive ways of saying "f__k you" that I have ever heard. And their easy out is to imply that since you used foul language to them that you are somehow inferior to them and that your point is invalid. The point always raised is that if you have resorted to foul language then you have run out of substantive things to say. The reality is that, for some people, by the time they have resorted to foul language and insults it is more an indication that they feel they have made their point and the receiver is being purposely evasive or obtuse. Often, it is to provoke a reaction. Ask politely to see the manager and put up with a brush off excuse and then follow it with "I want to see the f__king manager, tell him to get his a_s out here right now!" You may or may not get the results you wanted but at least you will get a response. Appropriate or not? If you continue blindly irate with the manager or go back to being reasonable and polite is up to you but at least you'll have the benefit of verbal and mannerism clues to help guide you. Not so with just the written word, you have to be descriptive some way about how you intend what you write to be taken - joking, teasing, insulting or just "that's just the way I talk to make a point."

Context is everything. When I was in the Air Force I worked with 2 guys who were very devout Christians. One came across as very preachy, the other as just firm in his beliefs. Both were bothered by excessive foul language. Of course when Mr Preachy was around everyone just ramped up the cursing, but when it was the other guy everyone made an effort to be on their best behaviour. When Mr Preachy would pop out something foul everyone thought it was the funniest thing in the world. When our mild mannered guy cursed one day everyone was concerned and wanted to know what was wrong and if there was anything they could do to help. It only reinforced what I already knew. You lead by letting your beliefs be known and then living them, it's honest and sincere. Polite people will show you some respect and those who don't can either be ignored or tolerated as you see fit. My meek friend chose to tolerate those who continued to curse around him even though most tried to respect his wishes. Preachy and judgmental often just provoke the behaviour you disapprove of.

Of course you can use perfect English without foul language and be guilty of what I consider the ultimate sin on any forum where people are seeking help - Rudeness.

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Wow. Very, very well put together. Great points, all of them :)