1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is KILLING me

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by KaitouAce, Feb 1, 2005.

1. KaitouAce

KaitouAce Member

I know you guys are all wondering what I'm doing now...
    Well I'm trying to find a list of what media works and what doesn't... I have TDK full size discs and I tried to burn tales of symphonia to that, but it didn't work... i also have mini fujifilm discs, but they only read as 1.11 GB, so they're not even big enough. if anyone knows a compatibility listing, let me know. i can't go to ps2ownz anymore because i said "afterdawn" in one of my posts and was perm banned for it.

2. Helltick

Helltick Member

Yeah..I'm banned too, anyway TDK Fullsized -R work just fine here! Dont know about mini's as I dont use them.

Look at www.maxconsole

3. KaitouAce

KaitouAce Member

ok so you know that wiped program? i can't figure that out. i know about garbage data and if you remove it, the gcm/iso is way smaller... so then you run the wiped program and what? does it put it back in? does it make the file size return to 1.35?
    i'm asking b/c i want to see if these fujifilm discs work and if i can create a gcm with no garbage and then use this and it's still smaller than 1.11gb, i can test these discs. make sense?

4. KaitouAce

KaitouAce Member

when you burn to full size discs, do you do anything to the image first? i created my image with phoenix a few months back and kept all the garbage data and stuff so it's 1.35gb. i just read that wiped prog makes the img 3gb for the larger discs. do you need to do that? i assume you can just burn the gcm as iso if you ripped it with all the garbage data, right? maybe i just need adjust my laser pot... i read that works too, but i don't have a multimeter here so i'd have to wait till tomorrow.

5. Helltick

Helltick Member

The best way to rip your originals with viper is to use "viperRipMulti.dol" this will give you a 1.35G iso. then run it thru "fstfix13f" to force all files on 32k...burn with nero!

Works re4 and thats all I really care about ATM!

As for releases its hit or miss.

Goodluck! and check maxconsole...wealth of info there!

6. KaitouAce

KaitouAce Member

was that on a full size disk then?

7. Helltick

Helltick Member

Thats all I use is fullsized dvd-r...TDK has given me the best results ,however Office Depot brand works as well. The two above mentioned media require a different boot disk tho...for example I can boot the TDK using both luigi's mansion or RE zero, however can only boot the office depot brand using luigi's mansion as boot disc.

If your worried about dust, you can do the 'lid mod' I have done this mod and have a thread at www.Dextrose gamecube forum if you need more info.

Dol001.
    Laser untouched 185ohm as default.

8. KaitouAce

KaitouAce Member

ok i did the T align... and i'm going to burn it on an Office Depot, which is Ritek g04. I have RE0 but not Luigi's Mansion. Do we know of any other good boot disks? I do have the original RE4, because I'm really making copies of games I own, so I'll try that too.

Is there a list somewhere of what games boot well with what boot discs? I've been booting Harvest Moon with Metroid and LoZ4S with Spyro.

9. Helltick

Helltick Member

Its hit or miss...What works for one guy doesnt for another.
    What is your laser value?

10. KaitouAce

KaitouAce Member

180 Ohms on my laser... Tried RE0 and Spyro, also tried PSO I&II with no luck. It'll load, at least, with the T align, but I always get a DRE withing 5 or 10 minutes. Where did you hear Luigi worked? Or is that what you use to load? Most people think a new BIOS will fix this, as I know it's common, but I don't know enough about the system to understand how a BIOS would help in-game...

btw, i put it on Office Depot Ritek g04 minis.

11. KaitouAce

KaitouAce Member

when you made your re4 disc, did you add the 3 GB buffer? or did you just align? I only have 1 full-size disc left, so i wanna get it right. thanks

12. Helltick

Helltick Member

-T 1.4G image, I did however make a 3gig image for fun and it did boot and play but it crashed after killing the first zombie (black screen).

13. KaitouAce

KaitouAce Member

don't lie. he's not a zombie.

ok so i patched it and tried a few different ways and different boot discs. still can't get that thing to run solid. it's on the mini office depot disc and i tried loading it with spyro again. it works for about 5 minutes or so before it fails. i also adjusted my pot a bit and put it up to 200, but i'm gonna crank that down since it seems like now it won't read prodiscs.

this is nuts. it's starting to seem like a waste of time. harvest moon worked first burn (full size tdk) and LoZ4S (mini OD Ritekg04) works aside from some random DRE i get if it's a cold boot. that makes 2 of 6 so far...

here's another weird thing... when re4 does boot, i get really nasty audio errors... wrong sound effects and tracks... and i did the align T thing to that one.

if you can come up with any answers or ideas, let me know.

14. KaitouAce

KaitouAce Member

Ok, I'm going to waste another disc and reburn Tales of Symphonia with the T align... It's not the most scientific route, since I'm editing the file, but I doubt the tweak will affect the playability of the disc. Then I'll have burned it on 3 different mediums to see if it would work at all. Here goes $2.11...

15. KaitouAce

KaitouAce Member

well, i reburned it with the T align and on an OD disc. I got through the fmv and story all the way to the first battle. the music started, the screen went black and then DRE. i was so stoked until that happened. I suppose I could try a different boot disc.