1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is slightly annoying, dvds jump,please help.

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by zenarcade, Apr 1, 2005.

1. zenarcade

zenarcade Member

I have just got a dvd writer and been making a few copies of films. The burning process completes sucessfully and when I play the film on a stand alone dvd player it seems to work. But then at random points in the films it jumps or pauses for a second and then the film starts but with a break in the sequence of the film and audio. This can be for a split second or it can be so frequent and for a long time that it makes watching the film impossible. Admittedly I have bought really cheap blank dvds, do you think this is the problem and that it could be solved by buying better quality dvds or do you think it could be somthing else?

I should also add that somtimes the film won't play at all and when I try and play the dvd on my laptop it doesn't recognise that there is even a dvd in the drive.

Oh and if its the case that you think I should buy better quality dvds which ones would you recomend?
    Thanks alot, grateful for any advice

2. colw

colw Active member

Not a good move - along with the use of labels, cheap, poor quality blank DVD's are a major cause of skipping/freezing on playback.

Try some good quality media such as Ritek, Verbatim or TY's

3. zenarcade

zenarcade Member

thanks for the advice.

Now one other query. If I do a direct copy from one of the cheap dvds to a better quality one will the skipping be transferred onto the better quality dvd because I have copied from the cheap dvd which skips?

4. oracle

oracle Member

Usually after ripping an original DVD and reauthoring the original files some extra work before burning the final project. My advise to surpass probles that you mentioned is to use IFO edit. In this step you have to open yhe VIDEO_TS.IFO file by openning it and use the [Get VYS sectors] option. When all pg's have been altered just click [Yes] to exit with out saving changes.

5. jeffw

jeffw Member

Generally I have found that I get a good copy even though it is from a skipping source - there could be circumstances where the source is too poor to get a good copy though.

Using DVDShrink will usually show-up a problem when it does the initial analysis even if you do not use it for actually copying the disk