1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This long?!?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by MarEll, Sep 23, 2004.

1. MarEll

MarEll Member

Hi

I have a/few avi's and I want to put them onto a DVD. It doesnt need to be great qaulity, in fact I would just put it onto VCD but I dont want it to be on 2 discs.

My question is when referring to this guide [http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm] it says that it takes 20 hours to complete!! Is there no quicker way of doing what I want to do?

2. MarEll

MarEll Member

Ok I think I know what I must do.

I have converted the avi into a VCD compliant mpeg...now do I follow this guide - http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/vcd_to_dvd-r.cfm - to put it/them onto the DVD? Then could I use this guide - http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/multiple_svcd_on_dvdr.cfm - to place a menu on the disk to access each film?

One other thing, is it normal for a SVCD to take so much longer than a VCD to encode? The VCD I did took less than an hour and I thought about encoding the same avi into SVCD to compare the quality, until I saw the ETA that is [~14 hours]. Does it actually take this long or am I doing something wrong? And if it does is the quality improvment justify the extra time?

Thank you.

3. andmerr

andmerr Guest

how big are your avi files?
    Once converted to an mpeg2 compliant format try using tmpgenc dvd author so that you can insert titles etc to your project.

I have been using cucusofts avi2mpeg to convert them and even though mine are about 175meg they take a couple of hours to convert, then i just re author them and the disc and quality are alright.

4. MarEll

MarEll Member

Thanks for your reply andmerr

The avi is about 700meg. So what I'm doing is right? I mean, converting to VCD then putting it/them onto a DVD?

So SVCD isn't hugely better quality?

5. andmerr

andmerr Guest

well if you are happy with having a vcd.

dvd santa will convert the file so its dvd compatable and ready to burn to dvd-R if however the file comes out to big try using shrink dvd. then

6. MarEll

MarEll Member

Why is SVCD alot better?

Can't I use TMPGenc to convert?

7. MarEll

MarEll Member

hmm when following the VCD to DVD r guide tmpgenc crashes. when I reach the part where I must convert the audio to 48kHz, i go to load the audio source and the .mp2 file does not show so I select show all files and try to load the file it crashes.

any ideas?

8. MarEll

MarEll Member

lol nvm it just took about 3mins to load the file, i know im impatient.

9. MarEll

MarEll Member

How long does it take to change the frequency of the audio?

Edit: duh..just realised you can edit ur posts here. about 20mins into the conversion I get this error: "illegal mpeg audio stream"

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  10. MarEll

MarEll Member

please ppl...

11. MarEll

MarEll Member

hmm nobody knows then?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004