1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This might be goodbye.

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Estuansis, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

Exactly, which is why I'm saying he should get at least that much in a private sale. I would personally ask for more.

Sam: they shouldn't be, but part of the problem here is that Americans aren't used to adapting in socially responsive ways. Bit of food for thought on the (unfortunate) American ways:

"5 men are on a ledge on a building. 4 decide to jump off. How many are left?"

"1?"

"5! There's a big difference between 'deciding' and 'doing.'"

People talk the talk here, but they don't do anything to change...or they try to change the wrong shit in order to maintain as little change in their lives as possible.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Usually yes, though I didn't want to say anything. In hard times though, change can be brought about. There are plenty of decent sized cars around in the UK that can pull nearly 50mpg on a regular basis, so that'd be over 40mpg in american numbers. These are large sedans too, not superminis.

The cost you should be moaning about more is healthcare, no?

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

That actually sounds like a good idea. I might actually do that :)

My dad is/was a professional mechanic. He knows loads of people. He's getting me the parts for cheap from a friend and I'm putting the pipes together to match the originals. Shouldn't be too hard, my dad can help me :)

The rest is minor stuff like a new shifter and a new key and the like. Easily $300, maybe $400 when all is said and done. But if I can get 1700-2000, I'll be pretty happy.

4. engage16

engage16 Regular member

The fuel prices are just an annoyance here... Its everything else, our economy is going down the sewer, the price for everything has doubled, and there is less income going into our pockets... I'm 19, and am already screwed by the economy... AT 19! It sucks, and I'm sure Estuansis can verify with me how crappy things have become in the past 2 years. The saying 'the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer' has become true in this country. I'm sure your having the same issues over in the UK but being a 'greedy american' its not a life that we're used to. The 'rough times' we've had before were nothing compared to hell we're in now, and unfortunately its not going to get better anytime soon. What is going to become of this world? Its sucks to say this, but how much longer are we going to last before everything thats been done turns on us and destroys us?

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sooner than you would like, and it's the same for us.

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Ok, now you guys are just plain scary :(

I hope the world doesn't end in my lifetime. That would suck :(

7. engage16

engage16 Regular member

Dude, you know what we meant... It just sucks watching everyone out there but the slimeballs having a hard time making a living... The world ain't gonna end man, its just going to change, alot...

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Not to get really political.. but I hope our next president changes things for the better. Currently for me it's John McCain > Barrack Obama > never Hillary Clinton oh god no.

They may all be liars but I'd like to root for the one who isn't running around like an idiot. John McCain knows how to run a successful war. So if this carries on for another decade like Vietnam, I'd at least like some progress. McCain it is for me :)

Economy aside, I don't think our nation has a very good reputation. We need to gain a good reputation before our efforts around the world are successful. And if we pull out of Iraq now, the entire country will be lost to anarchy. Do I know this as fact? No, but I don't want to see the outcome if it does happen :S

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  9. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

The whole middle east situation is lose-lose, in my opinion. If we pull out at any point in the foreseeable future, we look weak to the world and bad shit happens. If we stay, we continue to pump resources we really can't spare into it and more bad shit happens.

To look better around the world, we need to a elect a representative with an excellent mastery of English who also is not obviously tied to the wallets of many major enemies of this country. We also need to stop feeding countries like China our money, as they really are our enemy and are purposely shipping us toxic and molested goods. To restore our economy and the value of the dollar, we need to begin production of our goods within our borders once more, instead of buying from overseas. We need some social development around here, something to make people realize that "bling" and all the other materialistic bullshit is f____ing stupid and placing our money in all the wrong places like that while cheaping out on where the money needs to be going is only hurting us. Mom and Pop's grocery store goes out of business due to Walmart, Walmart jacks up prices. We pay just as much for less service and product quality. Everyone buys foreign clothing because it's cheaper, clothing businesses fail here, foreign clothing becomes more cheaply made and expensive. We just hurt ourselves.

One thing I *am* doing now is buying all my clothing at secondhand and vintage stores, putting money back in the hands of the little guy. Every time I go to the store for more than food (which fortunately tends to still be produced in the US), I look at where products were made. Unless I absolutely need something, I won't buy it if it was made overseas. That's just one little part we can all do to help strengthen this country again.

Little off-topic, but I needed to share some of that. :)

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A thoughtful post indeed, but methinks it needs a little language editing...

11. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

Yeah, done. It's hard to go from talking how I do daily (free-living college student and all) to switching my style to something different online. XD

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well yeah, very understandable. I suppose I've made so many posts now I've got used to talking in a different style. Then again that's probably partly due to all the americanisms...

13. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

That's because, even with all our problems, americans are about the best they come. :p

Seriously, though, time for a revolution in the US.

14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Revolution? Lets look at the oil companies. You can add dollars, euros, pounds, pesos, yen or whatever to almost everything due to the speculation on oil futures. We're not paying for what the oil cost to produce, but what the futures costs are along with gouging profits by the oil companies. Let the consumer pay for the actual cost for the fuel purchased with a reasonable profit for the supply line, not the gouging the world is currently suffering. Then there would be lower costs for a lot of merchandise and more money to spend where it's needed.

15. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

maby we should rename this thread to i am not going any where at all, because it is geting off track for a while now!

16. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

In your opinion, what would be a reasonable profit?

17. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Much less than the multi-billion dollar ones they've been gathering recently. The oil companies say they're reinvesting in research and exploration. I suspect research on how to bilk the consumer to a larger degree and exploring how to keep getting away with it. One billion in profits would have any other company smiling ear to ear. These oil companies are making far larger profits and it's only going to make them richer with no relief for the consumer.

Ask yourself why an oil company would want to invest in alternative fuels technology. That would be like the wolf having the sheep's best interests at heart. The stories are rampant about technology being blocked from the public by oil companies. The government in the US is cracking down on the milk suppliers, why not the fuel suppliers? Profiteering seems to be the catch word for big business nowadays.

I'd like to see oil companies work as a nonprofit organization with all profits returned to drilling, research, and exploration; with any windfall profits returned to the consumer in the form of lowered prices. Let the management and employees have decent salaries, but not let the extravagant profits seen today go to making the oil companies world powers. I'd say let the companies be taken over by national government, but that adds government bureaucracy causing further problems. Fuel costs would probably double, if that happened. Thousand dollar toilet seats readily come to mind. LOL Oil should stop being traded on the stock exchange. It shouldn't be a source of speculation, but a business geared to the consumer. The profits for the companies are assured because they have a captive market; no fuel, no transportation.

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  18. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

You could apply your arguments for nationalization to any company or productsold on the market. Maybe the USPS could run the oil business.

As far as transportation, you could buy a horse, I guess. I hear a lot of "they say" here, but no facts. I think that if gasoline approaches 6-7 USD a gallon, the consumers perhaps will modify their driving habits and reduce usage of the product and thus slow the price increases. Just my thoughts.

Again, what return on investments (%) would you consider appropirate?

19. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Start a new thread if you want to debate the intricacies of the oil industry.

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

LOCOENG, I think you should close the thread now. Nothing is going to happen here for a while.

Guys, if you care to continue this discussion, you are more than welcome to discuss whatever you want in my shoutbox. I can give you updates on there if you care to check in and see what's up.

Hmm, had to stay at work late today. More money for me :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.