1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This sucks really bad!!

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Pop_Smith, Mar 4, 2005.

1. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

I use "Ontrack Easy Recovery Professional v.6.0" which is the best product I have found.

I am a little intrigued - I know I have come in late on this, and I am here to learn how others approach problems, but it seems everyone has just assumed a virus has destrroyed the NTLDR record. There are lots of possible reasons for this as below, and I have had it happen to me in the past, due to a Power Cut (Outage)- no Virus involved at all. As I Ghost my machines and keep Data on Drive D, I just Ghost it back - no Virus.

Reasons:

1. Computer is booting from a non-bootable source. (Floppy in A Drive !!!)
    2. Computer hard disk drive is not properly setup in BIOS.
    3. Corrupt NTLDR and/or NTDETECT.COM file. (Due to Power Cut etc)
    Misconfiguration with the boot.ini file.
    4. Attempting to upgrade from a Windows 95, 98, or ME computer that is using FAT32.
    5. New hard disk drive being added.
    6. Corrupt boot sector / master boot record.
    7. Seriously corrupted version of Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
    8. Loose or Faulty IDE/EIDE hard disk drive cable. (I have had that happen !)

USB Keyboards can be a problem when booting and trying to press a key between Bios and OS starting.

Anyway - seems like the hammer approach has been used - re-format - I would have taken the HD out and put it on the back of another PC to copy my data across - I know the Virus Risk - if it was a Virus which I am highly doubtful of.

Anyway Try "Ontrack Easy Recovery Professional v.6.0" Good product.