1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

this was weird

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by therock.., Oct 9, 2003.

1. therock..

therock.. Guest

ok i just tried to burn a avi file with nero 5 and it did all the usuall stuff ie encode the file,now i thought when it was encoding the file it was basicly converting it to a mpeg......is that correct?

anyway my cdr didnt have enough mbs on it so it spat the cd out and told me to insert a larger one which i couldnt do cos i only got 700mb cdr so i cancelled the action and saved the encoded video......so just outta curiosity i tried to burn it again to make sure all was well but now it wont even accept the saved file to burn and it didnt convert it to a mpeg so basicly i just wasted 1hr 30mins of my time.

whats gone wrong?
    and is it ment to convert to mpeg?

if not any simple programes to convert a avi to mpeg untill i get new cdrs???

cheers

sorry for the long windedness

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

It seems what you tried to do is burn a (Super)VideoCD but in actuality you want to burn just a regular DataCD. What is the difference?
    1. (Super)VideoCDs are designed to play on standalong players. You need to encode the movie to MPEG before it can be burned as a (Super)VideoCD. For that you need to encode the movie which is what Nero was doing but the Nero encoder is POO. For more info on encoding to (S)VCD with TMPGEnc: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/43085

2. If you just want to burn the AVI file as per usual. Start Nero, select DataCD from the New Compilation dialog box and burn the AVI as if it was any stinkin file :)

3. For either case, remember to burn slow (not so much for the DataCD but for the (S)VCD).

3. therock..

therock.. Guest

yeah but if i burn it as a data cd then im not going to be able to use it in any standalong player which is what i wanted to do .am i??

also when i saved changes to the file to burn at a later time i presumed it was a mpeg can you explain that!!

iv just taken a look at the file and when i hold the mouse over the file it says its a "super video cd" not a mpeg is this why i cant burn it at a later time??

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Well you werent very clear in your description :p

I'm not sure what you mean by this.... but i'm gonna guess that you will need to encode the file to MPEG2 before you can burn it as a SVCD.

5. therock..

therock.. Guest

cheers for the help praetor.

6. Shoey

Shoey Guest

AVI format is burned as data m8. Now if you wan't to convert your AVI to MPEG1(VCD) or MPEG2(SVCD) then use encoders such as Cinema Craft Encoder or TMPGEnc. Determine what file format your stand alone home dvd player supports (VCD, SVCD) and convert to the appropriate file format. This is considered the "right" way as many despise Nero MPEG encoder and doesn't stand up to top quality encoders such as Cinema Craft, Canopus ProCoder or TMPGEnc. Look for a "PBC" function on your dvd player or remote and if available, then enable= supports SVCD playback

Shoey :) ___X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Mobo: MSI KT4VL-6712
    CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2500+
    Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700)
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd
    DVD-ROM: LiteOn LTD 165H
    CDRW: Memorex52MAXX 2452[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2003
  7. therock..

therock.. Guest

shoey,

cant see what the problem is with nero its alot faster than TMPGEec which i am currently using it was just that i always thought it made it into a mpeg but i quess not.

iv never had a problem with nero b4 cos the films always fitted on to the cdr.

in your own opinion which encoder do you think is better programe wise?

cheers for your 2 pence worth anyway lol :)

neil

8. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Nero MPEG encoder is no comparison to encoders like Cinema Craft, Canopus ProCoder or TMPGEnc Plus m8. I back up dvd's 2 svcd on a routine basis and I prefer using Cinema Craft Encoder. The reason why Nero MPEG encoder is faster than TMPGEnc is simply because Nero uses a simple "1 pass mode". I've used Nero as a test to convert my MPEG2 files to SVCD and the video playback is no comparison to Cinema Craft Encoder (multi-pass vbr4). The more "passes", the better video quality. Consider the "passes" like a sweep job, the more you sweep the cleaner it is.

Shoey :)__X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Mobo: MSI KT4VL-6712
    CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2500+
    Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700)
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd
    DVD-ROM: LiteOn LTD 165H
    CDRW: Memorex52MAXX 2452[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2003
  9. therock..

therock.. Guest

ummmm ok

shoey id have to agree with you now but fook me it takes an age to encode the avi file 5hrs to be more exact will take a look at your prefered program just out of curiosity

cheers for all the help guys

neil

10. therock..

therock.. Guest

ok got anouther problem dont think this is in the correct place but anyway just finished using TMPGEec and thought i would play the file to see if all was well but it will not play.....so i used Gspot to find out which codec i needed but for video and audio it just say's "na" so i tried to render it but that keeps failing so i tought id try and open it with divx cos that usually tells you what you need and it comes up with "[bold]stream source filter::seek from begining (0)out of read lime range:-1[/bold]"

is there something i have done wrong or is this file purely for burning onto cdr and not viewing??

11. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Copy& paste your previous reply post in the VCD SVCD forum as Mod Dela is much more skilled than I am using TMPGEnc encoder m8.

Shoey :)