1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on the following projectors

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by OmahaPhil, May 18, 2004.

1. OmahaPhil

OmahaPhil Member

I am looking to get a new (first) projector and spend ~$2000 or less on the projector is possible.

Thoughts on the following projectors would be greatly appreciated: BenQ 6200 and Infocus X1.

Other suggestions? Easy light control, mostly dvds, large room, ~100" screen wanted. Thanks.

2. roeod4

roeod4 Regular member

I have also been looking at lower priced projectors. The 4 I keep seeing are the Epson Home 10+, Infocus X1, Optoma H30, and Sanyo PLV-Z2. I have seen all of these in "bundles" for under $2500 with a 92" 16x9 wide screen. Does anyone have an opinion on these? These are all LCD, should I be looking at DLP instead? I know LCD has trouble if it is not in an all dark room, but this will be in a dedicated home theater room.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

LCD doesnt have trouble in a non-darkened room, in fact DLP struggles more since the output in lumens of a DLP porjector at 1000 lumens, is equivalent to around 800 lumens in LCD.

Just a first comment on the Sanyo PLVZ2. I looked a t this projector when trying to decide what to buy myself. It really came down to it and the Panasonic PTAE500 (L500) On comparing both, i found the Panny allowed you to cutomise your image settings a lot mroe than the SAnyo and enabled a better definition of detail in the darker levels. I felt that the Panasonic was the better projector for me. There are a lot of specific reviews on the internet comparing the Panasonic to the Sanyo because they are so similar. Both are truely star perfromers for the money you pay.

The Optoma H30 is another excellent entry level projetor, however, it is only a SVGA projector, not WXGA like the Sanyo and Panasonic. It IS however, a DLP projector, not LCD and does have a high 2000:1 contrast ratio and good Lumens output at 800 for Home Cinema, though you will have to watch it in a dark rpom for these results. Some people can get Rainbow effect or eye strain from it, because it has a 4 segment 2.5x colour wheel.

Check out this thread for information on the differences of LCD and DLP:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/74117

The INfocus X1 again is DLP, not LCD and again is similarily specified as the H30, but most people would prefer the H30 over it as it tends to have a better build.

The BenQ6200 is XGA, which is good, has a high number of Lumens output at around 1500 or something, and has a 2000:1 contrast ratio. It looks great on paper. However, with DLP, the technology varies from projector to projector with the different types of chips in each one. The rainbow effect is more noticeable on this projector than on one with a Mustang chip and a super fast 7 segment colour wheel.

OmahaPhil, is there a reason that you are only looking at DLP. I know it completely eliminates (virtually anyway) any Screen Door pixel effects, but DLP has its own problems in the entry level models, most noticebly eye strain and rainbow effects. DLP technology basically tricks the eye into seeing the images. This can lead to a sore brain (sore head).

I highly recommend the Panasonic L500 (PTAE500) and the Sanyo Z2 as LCD projectors. The Optoma H30, if you decide to go for the DLP is probably better built than the Infocus and very similar to the BenQ.

Hope so of this information helps you both,
    Anymore questions or more detailed answers,
    Just ask

Chris

4. roeod4

roeod4 Regular member

Thanxs Oriphus,

I will absolutely keep my eye on the Panasonic and the Sanyo from now on. Does it make more sense to look at the "bundles" that are out there or to just get the projector and each component at the best price? Does it matter much what type of screen I get? I know I want a fixed wall mount, but there are a lot of different models out there. Is there anything out there that shows the differences in the screens to justify one 92" for $150 and another 92" for like $800?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Toshiba Satellite
    P4 HT 2.6 Ghz
    1 Gb PC2700 DDR SDRAM
    NEC Nd-1300a External
    0 to Burn in 22 Minutes
    One by one the penguins are stealing my sanity! <(C:}[/small]

Last edited: May 21, 2004
  5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

High, yeah keep an eye on those two projectors, they are both very very good. Of course, you should buy a calibration disc ($20 or so) to completely calibrate it so it is set-up the best possible way.

In terms of screens, they can be complicated. I personally use a screen thats roughly $130, its only 80" and on a tripod, but it does really well. I use a silver/grey screen, as i feel it enhances the contrast, but the white screens, without a good gain level, can give amazing contrast as well. However, Contrast is always a pass off with Birghtness. The brighter the image, the less possible contrast - basically anyway.

I would recommend getting a fairly decent screen, though unless you have the money to spend, i wouldnt buy an $800 one, id get a better projector first. Sometimes, you can buy good screen material, a good paint to use on it and make one yoursself. I might be able to find out US proces for the DIY screens, less than $80 mostly and easily as good as a $500 screen if done right.

There is also a THX certified screen with loads of tiny holes in it so u can place ur centre speaker behind the screen where it should be without any disruption - it does however, cost around $5000 so its well out of my range lol.

I wouldnt tend to buy bundles or components that are selling as a package. I always like to personalise everything to exactly what i require. If you are using it mostly for DVD's, I highly recommend the Pioneer DV565 Progressive Scan DVD player, and connecting it using Coaxial good gauge cable. Also, i know for a fact that the Panasonic accepts a Progressive Scan signal, as i have a P-scan dvd player running through mine, not as sure about the Sanyo, but its prob very easy to find out. Im on my way to the shower after 3 hours of soccer, so i cant be arsed checking lol ;-)

Let me know what components you are looking at when getting ur system, i can give you some good advice on them hopefully.

Regards,
    Chris

6. OmahaPhil

OmahaPhil Member

I guess I was looking mostly at DLP's because I had heard from several people/dealers that they were better for dvd/satellite watching. Perhaps not the case?

I will take a look at LCDs, but what should I look for specifically? For example, to really decide between DLPs I can look at the chip (.7 12 degree vs. .5 10 degree) and the color wheel used (6 segment at 3x or 3 segment at 1x), or DcDi video processing (the Faroudi (sp?)) chips vs. none, etc...

What are the little things that make LCDs different from each other? What's a good contrast ratio for LCDs, as I know they are generally less than DLP.

Thanks for all the help and advice, it is truly taken to heart!

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Firslty, a good contrast ratio for an LCD Projector is aorund the 1000:1 and higher. 1300:1 on both the Panasonic and the Sanyo is very good and its hard to get much higher than that with LCD. With LCD's, a natural problem called Screen Door Effect is very common. With the Sanyo and the Panny, they have reduced the effect of SDE, though not to the same level of the DLP, which is hardly noticeable.

With DLP's it really depends on the budget you have. With the DLP Chips, the degrees at which the mirrors move is very important. The newer 12 degrees mirrors allow you to get brighter whites (though really greys) and darker blacks (though really greys) over the 10 degree mirrors. You are going to notice and almmighty difference between a 6/7 colour segment wheel (2R, 2G, 2B 1Clear) spinning at 3x or even 2.5x, over a 4 segment colour wheel spinning slower (3 segments arent really used anymore). Most noticeable will be the Raindow effect at certain times with the DLP and it can lead to eyestrain.

If you manage to get yourself a 7 segment 3x colour wheel, Like some of the BenQ top models or the Marantz, then you will most certainly have a wonderful projector. The Mustang DDR is undoubtedly the best DLP chip at the minute for Single chipper DLP's. You can of course get 3 chippers, eliminating colour wheels, but they cost upwards of $30,000. Some of the Porjectors will come with the Faroudi for scaling de-interlacing, and thats great. If yours doesnt, buying a good unit with one is always a plus. Faroudi are renowned for being the best...

If there is anything i've missed or not answered, let me know, but right now im off to watch the Man United versus Milwall FA Cup final :D

Chris

8. OmahaPhil

OmahaPhil Member

I am worried a little about the rainbow from DLPs and have tried finding projectors with at least 3x. I think the BenQ6200 is 2.5x or 3x, not positive though.

Those LCDs you mentioned do look really nice and have great reviews. Anything else you can suggest, LCD or DLP that comes in around $1500 or so? Thanks again.

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, i think the BenQ model might be 2.5x, which should be ok along with its 4 segment colour wheel. Idealy, 6 segments are better for reducing the Rainbow effect, though it can never be completely eliminated, even on the 7 segment colour wheels. With DLP, you need a 3 chipper to eliminate it. The BenQ 6200 is also a native 4:3 projector so u will be wasting some of its pixels when watching movies and not get full use of the XGA. THe Benq6200, may be slightly more business orientated than Home Cinema orientated, hence the Lumens and screen format, which may mean a bit noisier, though hopefully it will have an economy mode to drop down the lumens and decrease the noise.

A few ones to look at would be these maybe:

Dell 3300MP
    Gateway Model 210
    HP VP6121
    ViewSonic PJ250 & PJ551

Those are just a few ideas, think they are all DLP. In the LCD models, your best bets will be the Panasonic L500 and the Sanyo PLV2, there isnt really much more than that - all the ones mentioned are XGA or WXGA resolution as im not sure if you would want less than that.

Any more help needed, just ask ;-)
    Chris

10. OmahaPhil

OmahaPhil Member

No other questions/concerns at the moment, just want to say THANKS! for all the advice you've given.

I have researched DLPs until I'm blue in the face, and probably know more than most local retailers, but am still looking. I was not really looking at LCDs because two people had said that for home theaters, DLP was the way to go.

I know the Benq 6200 is 4:3, but that didn't really bother me as much time will be spent watching football (not soccer) on the projector. Altough, some good rugby games would be great to watch!

Again, thanks for all your advice and I'll be sure to post my buy (when it happens, probably more questions first) and my thoughts on that projector. Thanks again!

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

No Problem, good luck with the searching :)

DLP is generally regarded as better technology for Home Cinema, but these are usually a lot mroe expensive models that have the 6/7 segment colour wheels and Mustang chips ;-)

LCD prices are coming down, and the quality is very good, see if you can test some before buying.

Good Luck
    Chris