1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Three new console forum rooms opened

Discussion in 'Forum announcements' started by dRD, Jan 13, 2006.

1. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

I somehow hoped that we'd have pretty much all possible forum rooms available already on our discussion forums, but I was obviously wrong, again :)

Due requests from our users, we've launched three new forum rooms:

Nintendo DS - General discussion
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/176

PS2 - Games
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/174

Xbox - Games
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/175

NDS forum is simply to cover the handheld console on its own forum, as several of our forum rooms now have messages related to NDS.

Xbox and PS2 "Games" forums were launched, as our re-launch of our gaming site is still due and our users wanted to have a forum where to chat about console games, not just how to hack and mod their consoles. Two "games" forums are purely for games chat -- no posts about how to copy a certain game or why a backup of game X doesn't work with modchip N are allowed. We have plenty of forum rooms for those topics, so please, lets keep the "games" forums as "about games, from gamers to gamers" type of forums.

2. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

It is always good to see new forums..

3. Glitched

Glitched Guest

WOW this is great, thx dRD

4. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

since they continue to develop xbox games whilst developing xbox 360 games, perhaps getting an

Xbox 360 - Games

wouldn't be a bad idea?

5. Lethal_B

Just be grateful for what is available for now.

6. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

Heh, I was looking through the forums and saw Xbox - Games and was wondering...what is this little thing dong here? Thanks dRD.

7. sobhy2406

sobhy2406 Regular member

The first couple of ps2 game posts were modding threads :0

8. paddymail

paddymail Regular member

I for one am glad of this.. I did suggest it to a few mods. I get sick of those gameplay related threads in the ps2 dvd backup forum... can anyone say mortal combat shaolin monks??? LOL

good work guys

Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  9. GlueEater

GlueEater Regular member

Sucks to be a mod more and more each day.

10. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I had a peek at the console forums the other day, my God what a big bunch of babies! Everyone was calling each other names, which system is best, petty futile arguments. Then the thread has to be closed by a mod.

If it were up to me I would have NO console sections at all. It just seems to attract foul mouthed 6 yr old children incapable of having a reasonable discussion, always ending up with people spitting their dummies out, & peurile name calling.

[bold]I feel sorry for the mods at times, I would ban the lot, no hesitation whatsoever![/bold]

Just be grateful I am not a mod, I would just go nuts, as I cannot tolerate bad behaviour.

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i'm spending more and more time in some of those forums.

Instead of making me younger by mixing with younger ppl, it's.....making me older :)

12. paddymail

paddymail Regular member

Yes, it does get a bit tedious in there at times.. but it's a small minority of people that are making it look bad for the rest of us.
    If you have something wrong with a car, you don't throw away the car.. you fix what's wrong with it, don't you?
    Anyway, I don't want THIS to turn into an argument, I have enough of that on the forums, LOL.

I for one think that the mods should have a 3 strikes you're out implemented... so that the people making trouble will quickly get the picture that we don't want bad manners etc on the forums.. something eye catching that they can't ignore.. and record their IP address too, that'd stop a lot of them just signing up again with a different name.

13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

it generally is 3 strikes, but that only (usually) works with adults/ppl who intend to post more than like 5 posts, for some of these babies it has to be instant banning, trouble is they're the ones that know they can just sign up again. But they usually get bored before we do, but it does make a joke of the site when these idiots have all-out flame wars/post pointless crap nonstop, we just have to work harder to reign them in :)

14. paddymail

paddymail Regular member

Yeah I know you guys work hard creaky.. and I try to help out by reporting misuse etc.. it'd be good if we could get rid of the idiots a lot quicker, would make the forums a much nicer place for all :)

I just think a visual deterent might work, like a graphical representation of a strike stay near their name for say a month, and if they don't get any more strikes then after a month the slate is wiped clean again.. that sort of thing... and if they get 3 strikes, ban their IP address?
    Just a thought anyway :)

15. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

I still wonder why mods can't IP ban users. It would make like much more easier for them, I'm all for second chances, but sometimes it really can exceed second chances..

-Mike

16. Lethal_B

I still wonder why mods can't IP ban users

Three words:

[bold]A[/bold]merica [bold]O[/bold]n [bold]L[/bold]ine

I don't know much about it, but many times, it has been stated that banning somebody by I.P address could block out many more than just the intended target, because of the way AOL is structured...

17. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I am led to believe that you can use proxy IP addresses, so they can change everytime, so banning IPs would not work.
    First & foremost this a forum for burning dvds, not for gaming. I am not wanting to start an argument. One of the replies just backs up what I am saying, you make a comment, & someone jumps down your throat saying you want an argument! It is impossible to have a reasonable discussion without someone starting on you!
    I cannot believe it! Hence, I do not think that there should be a forum for gaming/kids, 'cos kids is all you will attract! The my toy is better than your toy attitude.

So, so peurile!

18. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

I've always wondered about that too. Using a good, anonymous proxy can completly mask your I.P. address, so if you get IP banned from anything, lets say a torrent site because of a bad ratio, you could simply use a proxy and sign up under a different name.

Personally, I think that all console forums should be shut down, and all users be redirected to blasteroids.com All it needs is more users to flourish into a second AD!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
  19. paddymail

paddymail Regular member

@Pulsar - I'm sorry if you thought I was getting at you or something.. I honestly wasn't.. it was a light hearted attempt at humour about arguing... I didn't think I jumped down your throat. I just re-read what I wrote and guess it could have been taken that way...
    I apologise if you did take it that way.. it was not meant in that manner, I was merely pointing out that I think it's better to try and solve a puzzle than to throw it away in annoyance, it was not meant as sarcasm... believe me I know what you mean about the arguing, I hate it and nearly gave up on AD altogether a few times after some little sh*ts started with the name calling etc...

Yeah, forgot about proxies and AOL etc... I don't think the answer is to shut down the gaming forums though... I spend time on the movies AND games forums and would hate to see any of them shut down through a small minority of users abusing the forums.. can you image how you'd feel if this happened in the movie forums and it was suggested that they be closed down?
    There are still a number of people that are prepared to stick it out and try and educate the offenders...

20. pulsar

pulsar Active member

@ Paddymail ;), I've learned that sarcasm doesn't travel over the internet too well also! I guess if it was people you knew they would have taken it better, I can say the same if roles were reversed! It's amazing how big this place has got.
    I rarely venture into the gaming bits as I concentrate on PC related probs. Being 40 & having a large disposable income means I can have a couple of half decent PCs. I have a PS2 (Overrated pile of junk) & have a DC in the cupboard (underrated piece of kit that lacked proper support)! If I said all that Iwould be flamed for sure!
    I love the futile which will be better PS3 vs Revolution debates. People spouting tera-flops, processor power & other crap! [bold]Hilarious![/bold]