1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TightVNC HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by ucfgator, Jun 11, 2007.

1. ucfgator

ucfgator Member

I'm trying to set up a partnership between my work machine and home machine.

SO I have a TightVNC Server running, but the IP address is set to a local address at work. (192.168.etcetc)

How do I know where to go at home?
    Like, what address? >_>

2. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I would try out UltraVNC, as it is free/opensource and a lot easier to use. After I installed it and started up the server all I had to do to find the I.P. address I had to use was hover my mouse over the tray icon and it flashed the I.P. address I had to connect to.

3. Finnisher

Finnisher Member

192.168 is a LAN address, you have to forward ports 5800 and 5900 (for UltraVNC, at least) in your router in order to use VNC server. Check www.portforward.com for details. You might have to consult your local IT administrator before making changes to router configuration.

4. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Portforwarding is not necessary for all setups; out of of the 6 pc's I maintain through UltraVNC I didn't have to portforward through any of them. The users of all of them were all connected to the internet through there router, and I believe UltraVNC makes use of UPnP making portforwarding even more unnecessary.