1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for encoding and Decrypting

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by blakeas, Jan 19, 2005.

1. blakeas

blakeas Member

It takes me when i use DVD shrink about 40 to 50 minutes for it to encode and be ready for burning. Is there anyway to reduce the time? Is decrypter fast enough so i can use DVD shrink after i use Decrypter? It seems like the same amount of time for me - I have made sure I am running DMA - Is there anything else i can do to improve the time except for buying more RAM?

2. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

You should provide what kind of PCU and memory you have.

I have an AMD 1Ghz with 256Mb of ram.
    I use "Deep Analysis".

It use to take me over 3 hours or more to get it analysed and shrinked sometimes, so I always ran that over night.

I now have a P4 - 3.2 Ghz with 512 Mb (@533Mhz) and holly smoke, I can Deep Analyse and Shrink an average DVD in about that, 40-45 minutes.

So I would say you are in the average, if you use Deep Analysis.

And ya, what a difference :)

3. Synth05

Synth05 Guest

Yeah thats what mine usually runs at blakeas.
    I have a p4 2.8 ghz Dvd-rom 8x16x8, Dl Dvd Burner. 40-50 mins for dvd shrink no deep analysis for encoding and burning.

My Dma is on, system defragmented, Cpu running great, and only reaching 6,000 kb/s at max on shrink which i think is slow. I used Dvd decrypter and been reaching 13,000 kb/s while ripping the dvd to hd (iso). Maybe theres a difference. I recently unistalled my IDE's than let win xp reinstall them after the next reboot which greatly helped. Hope this helps which it doesn't probably ;p

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2005
  4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I use a crappy Dell Inspiron 600m laptop with an external Pioneer burner. I use DVD Shrink without deep analysis but with that better quality error compensation set to Sharp. It takes me about 4-5 hours to rip a movie if the compression goes between 50 and 60%. I get the entire disc though, not just the movie. Comes out beautiful. I usually start it before I go to bed or before I go to work.

5. RobertSB

RobertSB Member

Been using 1 Click DVD Copy v4.1 with great success. Average times for encoding 12- 20 minutes. Didn't believe the reviews I read until I tried it. Perfect backups every time. Used Shrink/Decrypter cause they were free, but this significant time saver was well worth the price!!!

6. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

*moved from dvd-r for advanced users*

7. brobear

brobear Guest

About par for Shrink. Deep analysis and the quality settings don't need to be used until compression is around 80 to 85%. Those settings are meant to help at higher compression levels where the older Shrink used to break down.

If you want a high quality and fast program, check out DVDCopy3 at http://www.intervideo.com . A free full trial, so no reason not to give it a road test.

8. Synth05

Synth05 Guest

Looks like ill give that a try brobear

9. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Yeah, thanks brobear, I'm gonna try that on the Forgotten, which is being a real pain in the ass. I'll let you know how it turns out.

10. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Nope. I ripped it as an ISO image, and DVDCopy3 can't open an ISO or MDS file (unless I missed something).

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Squizzle
    You'll need to rip the DVD in "File" mode. DVDCopy3, like many other apps, will encode from the DVD using AnyDVD as a background ripper or from hard drive files ripped in File mode using DVD Decrypter. I use AnyDVD and rip the files to HD and load them into DVDCopy3. Using HD files ripped the way I mentioned works well with most encoding apps. In fact, I can't think of one it won't. (XCopy doesn't count, their browse function didn't work.)