1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to retire the old and start anew, with a budget!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ferguj1, Aug 27, 2008.

1. greensman

greensman Regular member

You DON'T mean it!! :p Of course you got a better psu, a monitor (deal doesn't come with one), better mobo more than likely, better RAM (even tho deal comes with 4GB), as good or better case.. and so on!!! :p

You'll like the NEW computer.. I promise... :D

.....gm

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  2. ferguj1

ferguj1 Regular member

You are right I don't mean it. I am like a kid with 5 gallons of gasoline and no car to put it in right now. I got the PSU, RAM, CPU, and monitor today, but the rest won't be here till next week. All dressed up with no place to go.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I wouldn't fret over a reconditioned model, chances are it'll break long before the warranty...

ferguj1: A VW of a CRT monitor? Not to get into car-related discussions, but that's not the example I would have chosen... :p

4. ferguj1

ferguj1 Regular member

I just meant size wise, not as an indication of quality! It was like having a VW sitting on top of my desk. :D

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  5. greensman

greensman Regular member

It's that old argument about size again... hehehe. :p

I have 2 of those VW sized monitors in my garage... right where they belong!! :p

....gm

6. ferguj1

ferguj1 Regular member

Quick question, what is the proper way to hook up two case fans when you only have one plug on the MB. I figure it involves slicing and dicing, but I want to be sure before I do.

7. ferguj1

ferguj1 Regular member

@ GM

Here are the pics you asked for. Yes I got the AC7. I went with the micro-atx board and only have two mem. slots. What I was talking about is if I rotate the cooler 180 then the fan covers up one slot. The main thing I worry about is that it covers up about half the case fan and I am afraid that they will work against each other. But unless I want to just put the stock intel sink and fan in there and put this one in a drawer then that is the only way it will fit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  8. greensman

greensman Regular member

You can use a 2-way splitter. I'm sure you can find one in your little town.. hehehe. :p

3-pin Y

molex power to 2 3-pin Y

these were the quickest links I could find. you might try coolerguys.com or google. ;)

NO really. If you look at the fans you chose there should be a 4-pin molex adapter that you can use for power. I would make sure you get the rear fan set to full power before I did the front fan. Exhaust in this case is more important than intake. :p NO pun intended of course. :D

....gm

add: next question.. ;)

9. ferguj1

ferguj1 Regular member

So you think the cooler install will be okay?

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

LOL..

You posted that as I was replying to the other one. :p

The fan covering the RAM slot is NO big deal if you can install the RAM w/o the fan touching the RAM. ;)

If you actually have to install the fan that way make dang sure it's blowing OUT of the case. You know toward the rear!! I'm hoping you can install the other way and the RAM be clear tho. How did you do with the TP (thermal paste) install with the cooler?? :D

...gm

11. ferguj1

ferguj1 Regular member

It wont clear the ram, tried every way I could think of. The direction of blow, don't sound right but you know what I mean, I think is the wrong way, toward the front. But I don't know how to fix it. The thermal paste I installed according to directions. I used Artic Silver 5. I hope it is still alright after I had to rearrange the cooler like I did. Open to any other suggestions.

Edit: Checked and it does indeed blow toward the front.:( Be back later, going to kick the dog or whatever else I can find.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  12. greensman

greensman Regular member

The EGG is very good about RMA's. You might go that route if you can. There are other good coolers that have a smaller "footprint" that the ACF7. ;)

....gm

I was looking at these coolers but w/o an actual review it's difficult to tell if it will fit your mobo and all. I included the ACF7 for comparison. I looks as tho the Rosewill and Thermaltake might fit. :p I like the ASUS for the money and it looks like it doesn't stick out as far as the ACF7.

good luck....

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The cooler's back to front, the case fan is blowing in the opposite direction to the CPU cooler. Put it the other way round, assuming you can. It's normal for the CPU heatsink to be on top of the RAM, etc.

14. ferguj1

ferguj1 Regular member

@ sam
    Yeah it won't fit the other way, I have tried.

Is there any reason why the stock heatsink and fan will not be sufficient for now? Especially since I dont plan to OC at all. I just don't want to order a different cooler and have the same problems.

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

fergie it'll work but don't do anything silly with it like OC and stuff. I would try it and see how it does with the progies that you use and evaluate from there. I don't see a problem as long as you're NOT trying to run NASA or OC FTW!! lol. :p

....gm

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Put it vertically then, the freezer 7 cooler can go in four different directions.

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

That's true Sammy but is the air gonna flow correctly? If you have to install it vertically I would look at a downward blowing fan personally and adding a side exhaust fan as well. jm2ยข...

good luck again...

btw you need to clean the heatsink and start again with the TP. :)

....gm

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

When I did it I had it upward blowing into the PSU. Obviously this can only be done with a well coled/well made PSU though.

19. greensman

greensman Regular member

Scroll up and see what we BOTH recommended to him. lol. :p I think you could do that especially if NO OC is involved and since it's a cool running chip anyway. ;) NOTHING like the Q6600. :p

...gm

20. ferguj1

ferguj1 Regular member

sam I am pretty sure that I read somewhere that you had at least one gigabyte motherboard, as for GM, I don't know. But the reason I ask is I was wondering what your thoughts were regarding the Easy Tune 5, program that come with the board. It allows you to do many things such as fan speeds and monitor temps as well as overclock without entering the bios. I was thinking of maybe doing some low scale experiments OC, but I don't know anything about it. This program allows for simpletons such as myself to make small changes easily, but I would like to know what you guys think first. I am sure no self respecting OverClocker would consider such a thing to use, but but I have no self respect in that area so it wouldn't bother me at all.:)