1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tiny but annoying problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by sammorris, Nov 7, 2005.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My PC has stopped making the sticky keys noise. It makes just a short contracted squeak rather than the proper noise when you activate it or any of the other shortcuts. The noises in the middle work fine, but not the On/off tones. I've found this with lots of people's computers but never any of the ones at school. I have XP Pro too, so what's causing it, my PC speaker?
    I doubt it, since I changed my case, and for a while it did work, then stopped again. Besides, the school have various different computers and all of them make the noise properly.

What gives?

2. DoubleDwn

DoubleDwn Regular member

Have you ever applied a theme to win XP? When a theme is applied, some noises/sounds get changed as well. They may not have changed back. you should be able to reassign the proper sound by going to Sounds under control panel.

~Rich

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, I haven't installed any themes, but it's not a speaker noise, it's the one that comes from the PC speaker in the case, from either pressing Shift 5 times, holding down numlock for 5 seconds, holding down Rshift for 8 seconds, pressing Alt+Shift+PrintScreen or Alt+Shift+Numlock
    Every one of those causes the same noise.
    What's weirdest is that it worked once, then after I next booted the PC it didn't again...

?????

4. DoubleDwn

DoubleDwn Regular member

You got me. Hopefully someone smarter than me sees this and can help. Good luck.

~Rich

5. DMW

DMW Regular member

Is it the sound settings under accesibilty options?

I wouldn't have thought so, because it seems to be use or don't, but could be worth a shot.

Hope you get sorted with it.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Now here's the weird part. When I first moved my system over to a new case, with the same install of windows, the noise worked for a while, and had a different tone to it, it sounded more like the noise you get on a laptop PC, I presumed because the pc speaker was different - but then after reformatting and installing a new version of windows, it's not only stopped working properly, but gone back to the old sound tone!!!
    WEIRD

7. DoubleDwn

DoubleDwn Regular member

I would take it in to a church and have an excorcism performed.

~Rich

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, that's the thing, it's not this PC that does it, every other person I know has a PC that has the problem!!!! The only computers that don't suffer are those at school!