1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tired of putting 1 movie on 2 DVD+Rs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by TDN90, Jan 12, 2004.

1. TDN90

TDN90 Member

I know there are dual-layered DVD+Rs, but does anyone know where to get them, how much they cost, or if DVD writers available are even able to burn dual-layered yet?

thanks.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

As far as I know the dual-layer drives/media aren't being sold yet.

I'm curious - you mention being tired of using two discs for every movie, have you tried anything like DVD Shrink or DVD2One to compress the movie to one disc?

3. s8nsch1ld

s8nsch1ld Regular member

Funny you should say that, Pioneer just got their A 06 -r writer to do dual layer. As for +r I don't know but I doubt it is a goer yet.

Like above, you should shrink the dvd down to fit, lose menu junk etc...

4. mfurj

mfurj Member

Sony supposedly has a dual layer, multi format burner slated for release this spring. Pioneer unveiled an AO6 at CES and burned dual layer. Nothing but a firmware flash but I doubt that'l work for us. We'll need to buy new burners.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I'm so glad you guys can afford the mid to high, 4digit figures for new burners not even in the showroom, its bad enough to pay $9.00 plus for 9.+GB, dual-sided media -

Me, if someone asked about backing up, I'd tell them to get DVDShrink 3.1 and with 3 clicks have my DVD ripped, compressed (automatically) and burned to my disc (automatically, using my Nero), going from soup to nuts with just the one Freeware program, with results that can’t be detected with the human eyeball.

My system is pretty good, but until I tried DVDShrink 3.1 I never went from beginning to end in 35 minutes, out, done and toasty warm.

Not even DVD XCopy Xpress came close !

Anywho, use it, abuse it or dream about the cutting edge stuff that at least I can't afford for many years to come - What ever you want, but Shrink is here now and it's Free -

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

See ya all 'round the water cooler,

Pete

6. mfurj

mfurj Member

scubapete
    I also use Shrink -great program-even better for the price. No compression 1 to 1 backups is very appealing though. It wasn't very long ago a burner cost $300+ now you can get offbrand for $79. Hopefully with competition prices will fall to my regular joe levels quickly.

7. TDN90

TDN90 Member

Thanks a lot for the help. I have DVD shrink but hav'nt got around to trying it out yet. And I think I'll give DVD2One a shot as well.

Also, does anyone know where I could purchase double-sided DVD+Rs?