1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tired of your old drive? Get the Samsung 616T (Or the 616F)

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Quadratic, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

The Samsung 616T (Or F, doesn't matter) is a compatible PC dvd rom drive, that can be flashed with software from the Samsung 605 (the standard xbox dvd-rom). If you're considering upgrading, definitaly get this drive. It's four times as fast as the Standard Xbox Samsung, and it has better media compatability.

The best place to get this drive would be ebay. If you're looking to save (which I'm sure you are), then definitely look around ebay.

Llama.com has it here for $145 http://secure.llamma.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=43

Some places have it for $99 and $120, but like I said, the best deals are on ebay.

I would suggest that you get the drive [bold]PRE-MODIFIED[/bold], meaning that it's plug-and play. You WILL have to cut some plastic pieces on top on the tray, but that's not nearly as complicated as modifiying the dvd drive itself (Check here for the process: http://www.houseandhomesecurity.com/images/cutting.jpg The process doesn't take long at all (even if you don't know what you're doing. I'm sure you know how to retrace your steps).

This is the way to go people. Check it out.

A little note: The Samsung 616T is officially discontinued by Samsung. You might be able to find it on ebay. You can always get the Samsung 616F, which is just like the 616T. Same thing, same adjustments.

-Quad

Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  2. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

3. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Wish Granted for some time.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
  4. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Thank you very much Oner! If anybody has any questions about the second option using the LG drive, just ask seeing as I have this drive in my Xbox.

5. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Yeah that LG drive is pretty good too. I got the Samsung, since I got a deal on it.

6. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Yeah that LG drive is pretty good too. I got the Samsung, since I got a deal on it.

7. joschez

joschez Regular member

What type of media can it be used? DVD-RW/CD-RW?

8. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

All types of media run flawlessly...

9. X-Station

X-Station Guest

nice

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2005
  10. Craige9er

Craige9er Member

I just ordered the 616 off of ebay, and am planning on installing it. I have no mods or anything and was curious how this will run with xbox live. I found this on bungie's website, and am worried that i'll get banned if I put this thing in. I'm kinda freakin out about putting it in because I don't want to be banned or anything, I just want an xbox that works (Thomson drive) and it is not my intent to play unfair.....anybody know how this drive will affect my xbox live, or do I just buy a new xbox? Thanks for the help.

"Xbox Live may only be accessed with an unmodified, except for Microsoft authorized repairs and upgrades, Xbox video game console. Any attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute or use for other purposes either the hardware or software of the Xbox or the Service, is strictly prohibited and may result in termination of your account and/or your ability to access Xbox Live via your Xbox, and the pursuit of other legal remedies by Microsoft. Microsoft may take any legal action it deems appropriate against users who violate Microsoft's systems or network security, and such users may also incur criminal and/or civil liability."

11. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

I have been using my LG drive on Live for quite a while, about 3 months now, and I have not been banned. That would be BS if you did get banned w/ your new drive (which I am 99% sure you will not), because changing drives is not illegal in any way.

12. Craige9er

Craige9er Member

Cool, thanks PimpDawg, that's what I was hoping to hear....I'll go ahead with putting it in then....thanks again

13. autocard

autocard Member

Thanks for this tutorial about LG GDR-8163B!!
    I gonna get one today for my Xbox,
    but do you know where can I find the firmware for this drive?

14. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Hm, I don't know exactly where to pick up the firmware for it.

Pimpdawg, do some LG drives already come pre-modified for plug n play use? I got my Samsung 616T like that to avoid flashing it and using Y cables.

15. autocard

autocard Member

Thanks for the fast reply, Quadratic
    Without upgrade the firmware, I can play backup game only?

Samsung 616T is a good DVD-ROM for Xbox, but difficult to find it, isn't?

16. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Actually, you wouldn't be able to play anything :)

The 616T is discontinued by Samsung (although the 616F is practically the same). SOME people still have some in stock though and are willing to sell. IF YOU CAN, try to find one that is already modified and is "Plug N Play", so you don't have to do so much work. Otherwise, you'd have to hook the drive to PC and flash it from there, and do a lot of work with cables and such.

17. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Hmm, I'm not sure where I picked up the firmware at, as it has been a long time since I did this mod. Maybe #xbins if I remember right.?.

18. autocard

autocard Member

I found the firmware from a German website, and it works perfect!
    thanks guys

19. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

That's good news. Congratulations on your success.

20. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Cool, glad you got it working!

Is that quote coming from [bold]Who's Line is it Anyway[/bold] because I could swear I heard Wayne say that one time.?.