1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tired of your old drive? Get the Samsung 616T (Or the 616F)

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Quadratic, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

It's from the Dave Chapelle Show when Wayne Brsdy was playing in a skit.

2. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Yeah, Thats It!!! I knew I heard it somewhere, hahaha...

3. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Just so as you can find it..I found the Samsung 605 firmware at www.xbox-tribe.com/downloads...and a tutorial to modify the 616T somewhere or other on falk.net, oh and the Samsung 608 is cheaper than the 616 but only now available 2nd hand in the UK

4. Mattb412

Mattb412 Member

If i put the hard drive in would i be able to save the game and start from where i saved it last?

5. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

You mean if you put a larger hdd in and transfer your games on it? Sure it would work.

6. mjeff36

mjeff36 Member

Hey i have some questions concerning drive upgrading, i just ordered the samsung 616t drive and would like to know the advantages of getting this drive, does it make the gameplay smoother on the xbox? does it eliminate the choppiness and studdering and you see in some games? appreciate any feedback from Quadratic or Pimpdawg or other people that have the samsung or lg drive installed in their xbox.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  7. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

This drive is better because it is more compatible with different types of media (since it was a pc drive, modified to be a xbox drive). It is far less picky than the standard xbox drives microsoft uses. It also loads about 3 times faster than the xbox samsung drive.

8. mjeff36

mjeff36 Member

Ok thanks, just ordered the Samsung and LG drives, i will go with the Samsung drive and see how that works out.

9. mjeff36

mjeff36 Member

Hey Quadratic, forgot to ask, does the samsung 616f drive play original xbox games along with backups?

10. Allegro1

Allegro1 Regular member

Thanks PimpDawg,
    I ordered the LG drive on Tuesday, buy Thursday night it was up and running in my Xbox. It took about an hour from the time I opened up the package from UPS to the time my Xbox was all buttoned back up, but I have to admit I'm somewhat experienced in soldering and wiring.
    My old Thompson drive ran store bought discs fine as well as DVD-R's, but nothing else. This drive seems to run CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+RW, but I haven't been able to run any DVD-R's or DVD+R's yet. I've tried numerous movies and a couple of backup games which worked with a burned DVD+RW (which had been written to and erased a number of times). Any suggestions?

11. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

I would suggest you trying another brand of media.

12. Allegro1

Allegro1 Regular member

Do you have any recommendations?
    I've tried CompUSA (cheap stuff, but worked fine on the PC and DVD player) and Memorex DVD+R's and DVD-R's without success on the LG drive.

13. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

I'd recommend Verbatim and TDK.

14. janrocks

janrocks Guest

@ Quadratic

Not to disagree...but my Samsung doesn't like verbatim..and I have some TDK-2x that have lost the data after about 4 months..don't know why..they haven't been left in the light or near heat or anything, just in the same case as the rest of my disks..

Arita Pink dvd-r 8x
    Ridata Silver dvd-r 8x

These seem to work well on every drive I tried..

15. novicebb

novicebb Regular member

To Oner: List the benchmarks scores for your PC system. Sounds incredible.

16. telcart

telcart Member

I bought a Samsung SDG-605 for my XBOX when I first modded it but it doesn't seem to read CDRs with DiVX/XVID movies on them. I always have to put them in my PC and stream them over the network (XBMC). Is there any kind of firmware update that can correct this problem. All dashboards as well as XBMC say there is no disc in the DVD drive.

17. janrocks

janrocks Guest

@ Telcart...was that to replace a faulty samsung drive or one of the other horrors?..I've had issues with swapping drive makes..they work ok for a few days then mess around.. (seems to be something with the device list stored somewhere)..no solution as yet..

@mjeff36...If you modded the drive as per instructions then.. Yes, it does/should/whatever (too many variables with the xbox drive)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2006
  18. byron02

byron02 Regular member

I recently got a great deal on ebay for the samsung 616t, I went ahead and bought a ATA 133 cable to replace the 33. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out. Thanks for the tip!

19. trini22

trini22 Guest

i was wondering wat xbins is...could someone explain this

20. byron02

byron02 Regular member

@janrocks

I have had the same problem with TDK-R, not sure what speed thought. CD worked, and worked and worked.. and then as almost magic, the disc is blank. Blank and empty, but can't be written on... hmmm..