1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tired of your old drive? Get the Samsung 616T (Or the 616F)

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Quadratic, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Xbins is a channel on a program called IRC (Instant Relay Chat). Xbins is used for authentificating access to the FTP server (best accessed by an FTP program) Here's a tutorial: http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/xbins.php

Hm, I have a few older backups on TDK media. I'll try to see if they are blank as well when I get home.

2. jlmille5

jlmille5 Member

I cannont find the GDR-8163B. Will the GDR-8164BK suffice? Has anyone compared the internals of the two?

3. Allegro1

Allegro1 Regular member

I don't think the 8164B is the same as the 8163B.

There is a new inline mod board for the 8164B
    http://www.patxbox360.com/adapter/manual.html
    (I am in no way affiliated with this company and do not endorse anything).

The bad news is that it costs as much as a new drive all by itself (about $30). If you are patient enough, you can find the 8163's on ebay for as little as $15-20 shipping included. I just found a place that had three 8163B's for $21 each and scooped them up.

Quite honestly though, after putting a 300 GB HD into the box, it's almost never using the DVD drive anymore so there should be no reason to expect it to fail in the forseeable future.

4. jlmille5

jlmille5 Member

Thank you for the help! I FRAGged my 1.0 Xbox trying to mod it. I am not positive, but I think I tore up the D0 point. Not sure how to troubleshoot what my problem is. So thanks anyway for the reply.

5. Antman1

Antman1 Member

so the 8164B is definitly different and will not work? I noticed the price is like 17 bucks. Anyone tried this drive yet?

6. jlmille5

jlmille5 Member

They sell the adapter board that you need to make a 8164 work here:

http://www.divineo.com/cgi-bin/div-us/search.html

and that guy posted the instrucions on how to do it above. Seems like after $20+ shipping for the board and $17+ shipping for the 8164 drive you could have gotten a Philips drive off of ebay and not had to solder it.

7. Antman1

Antman1 Member

Nevermind this post I figured it out. The adapter is needed to make it werk..

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  8. Antman1

Antman1 Member

Anyone know were I can get a guide to modify the 8164B to fit perfectly in the xbox like the original? Also will this drive work on a softmodded xbox?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  9. Antman1

Antman1 Member

anyone know if it is possible to use a original samsung xbox drive in the PC as a normal PC-DVD ROM drive how would ya wire that up and what firmware would I use? anyone try it?

10. Allegro1

Allegro1 Regular member

To make it fit in the original xbox drive, look at the guide near the top of this thread by PimpDawg, the PDF from Pacforce. You'll have to glue in a couple of spacers to make the faceplate flush with the front of the box, but if you are:

A). Cheap enough to not want to buy a real OEM drive and/or
    B). Determined enough to make the final product look good

You'll find a createve way.
    I'm A) by nature and B) only when time permits. :)

As for making an Xbox drive work in a PC, a PC DVD ROM reader is very inexpensive nowadays (often less than $20). To use an xbox DVD reader in a PC you'll have to do some work to modify the little connector to bring out the power and audio lines to a standard PC drive power connector and if you used your drive in the xbox for a while, it is probably well worn out. If you need a DVD drive for your PC, I would wait for a sale and get a DVD RW burner for your PC. You can often find them in the $30-40 range (I just saw an NEC-3550 for $20).

As for modding the xbox to use the new dvd reader, it doesn't matter. A replacement drive will work with a stock box, a softmodded box, a TSOP flashed box or a chipped box. I tested the 8163B in all of them and it worked fine.

11. scotty132

scotty132 Member

i know its probally been answered somewhere but i wanna know if i can flash the 605f with the 605f firmware using the same methods as flashig the 605b drive with the 605b firmware.

any help anyone ?

12. Kinglion

Kinglion Member

I am just double checking here but I went to ebay and looked up xbox dvd drives modded and found the LG and a Samsung.

Now before I buy one of these I do not need the laser right, just the drive and the drive comes with a laser inside?

13. Allegro1

Allegro1 Regular member

That's right. The laser comes with the drive. The separate lasers for sale are for those who wish to replace the original laser assembly on a drive due to failure.

14. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

15. Allegro1

Allegro1 Regular member

No. The xbox does not care whether you have a Thompson, Phillips, Samsung or LG drive it it. As long as the LG drive was flashed with the right firmware and wired properly, it will act just like a stock xbox drive except that it will have a better chance of reading more types of CD-R/RW and DVD+/-R/RW's.

16. vdiablo69

vdiablo69 Member

I did the 616t mod myself and it worked out awesome. It was easy. Well besides the flashing part. I had to do it in dos because the windows flasher program I tried to use said the firmware was not compatible. Not only do I not get the "dirty disc error" but my games load way faster. The difference is definatly noticable. I even went as far as putting an dvd activity led in the front of my case. If anyone needs any help I'll do my best

17. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

O so u wont need a modchip installed those 2 previous drives. The reason i ask was because i got confused because i have saw those one drive that need a adapter and the xbox have to be modded. Well u have any idea of the drive i posted, wonder what firmware u use for it.If anyone can read german or get a translate plz reply what it says
    thx

18. Allegro1

Allegro1 Regular member

Read the tutorial on the LG/Hitachi GDR-8163B modification and you can simply swap the pictures in the German article with the text for the 8163 (use your common sense of course). Since the signals from the yellow wire connector have to go to the same destinations on the xbox, they must have the corresponding source on both drives, just different locations. If you really MUST have a translation, use Altavista's Babelfish to translate a paragraph from German to English to get an idea of what the article is trying to say.

19. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

Yea i got it to work again...seems like the german one doesnt have a firmware and cant play orginal games, or backup, unless modded.
    thx

20. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

How do you flash the LG 8163b drive i have the files. but when i open it dos pops up for a few seconds and shut down, maybe its the comp. But i opened it through the cmd prompt. but i cant get it to flash im getting really comfused.
    thx