1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tired of your old drive? Get the Samsung 616T (Or the 616F)

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Quadratic, Jun 24, 2005.

1. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

Double post

Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  2. Allegro1

Allegro1 Regular member

Did you read the instructions?
    It says to create a DOS boot up floppy and run it from a cold boot up, not from Windows.
    Try it that way. It worked fine for me on the first try.

3. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

Yea i have also read that. But was wonder how do i create the DOS bootup floppy. I know alot about computer but not alot about dos.
    thx

4. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

nvm got it to work
    right click on floppy format create msdos... well thx guys

5. aoavaros

aoavaros Member

6. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

the 8164B will not work unless u buy an adapter that is like 20$ read this threat someone mention it.

7. FireCross

FireCross Guest

So it's been almost two years scince this thread was started... just wondering if their where any faster drives out today?

Also, anyone been banned for a mod drive yet.. i see pimpdog had been running on xbox live for three months back in 2005.. you still going with no problems?

- Im just looking for a faster drive to replace the tompson.. i only play one game and it cost $6.00 at the store these days.. not looking to get booted off live.

Anyone who's been modded and been playing on live id appreaciate your feedback.

Thanks

8. Allegro1

Allegro1 Regular member

You will never be banned from xbl for using a replacement DVD Drive. The only issues with xbl is with hard drives. The reason you will experience faster load times with a new DVD drive is because you will be getting fewer read-error/retries with a newer more reliable laser. The LG drive is head and shoulders better than the Thompson. That being said, I would never buy and replace the old drive with a new replacement drive unless you have problems with what you have in your box right now. It's OK to have one as a spare sitting around so long as you realize you may never need it.

If you don't get dirty disk errors with retail games, don't bother replacing it until you do and it gets to the point of annoyance. No need to risk messing up your Xbox for a "hope" at something better when what you have works fine.

Have fun.

9. FireCross

FireCross Guest

So as far as read speed, which is faster? The LG drive or the samsung 616?

10. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

Well...LG are cheaper and Samsung are expensiver. These drives are hard to find since there are discontinued n no one really do any modding to there xbox as much. I have both the LG and Samsung and they seem to read about the same speed or really close. Samsung drives seem to last longer and better.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  11. 3lement

3lement Regular member

If i get a new drive id definately get this one. looks awesome.

12. vdiablo69

vdiablo69 Member

the 616 is awesome my games load 4 times faster and im now able to read burnt cds becuz you cant with the stock drive. ive only had one problem and im not sure if its becuz of the drive or not. i did a softmod with dualboot. so powering on with the eject button should start the xbox as stock. mine starts modded it doesnt matter if i power up with the eject or power button

13. 3lement

3lement Regular member

Wow 4x faster then a xbox drive. i definately gotta get one of these.lol

14. vdiablo69

vdiablo69 Member

No complaints about the 616 from me. I modded it myself and it wasnt very hard all you have to do is solder 4 wires on and flash it with the 605 firmware. The flashing was the hardest part because mtkwinflash didnt work for me I had to flash it in dos. The end result was worth the work. Feel free to PM me if you are in need of help or anything else.