1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo,do you really have to pay for the service to access DVR?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by charrell, Dec 22, 2009.

1. charrell

charrell Member

Well folks I did not exactly find the answer to this ever illusive question as to whether you can gain control of a series 2 Tivo DVR functionality without actually spending more money on the additional services from the almighty TIVO Empire.

I am sure there has got to be a hack to either just use it as an external hard drive and add it to my network or to actually use it with my DirectTv Sat service.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated..

2. sholleran

sholleran Member

Tivo has for years said that their hardware IS usable without the paid subscription, but with less functionality. You lose the programming info, hence all the smarts to grab your favorite wish lists or programs. It can be used to program by time and channel - much like an ancient device called a VCR. While the VCR's primitive tape technology is not replicated, the inconvenience of it is.