1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPEGnc split/merge problems (both free and 2.5 Plus)

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by mad_cow, Feb 7, 2004.

1. mad_cow

mad_cow Member

I'm having problems on:
    AMD Athlon XP 2700/80 gig HD/512mb ram/Win XP Home ed./
    Having problems with TMPEGnc free edition and TMPEGnc 2.5 Plus Merge/Split option.

I absolutely had no problems with this before. I generally make xvcds or vcd 2.0 (mpeg-1) and simply encode a movie or captured television programs. I was able to split the finished product and merge them back together, for example, capturing a television program and using the split option to take out the commercials and then rejoining the files together, or splitting a movie to fit on two CD-Rs.

Here's when the problems began, I finally started using my DVD writer and found out that the GOP structure on some of my xvcds were not compliant with TMPEGnc DVD(GOP=0 instead of 1). So all I did was a simple fix by opening the mpeg tools section on TMPEGnc, opening the file that had the non compliant GOP, then typed a name for the new file, and ran the entire file from start to end. TMPEGnc would run the file as usual, processing the video and audio then multiplexing. Then it would continue with another process that changed the GOP structure on the movie file, this took as long as the multiplexing. And just like that, the file took to TMPEGnc DVD.

Everything worked fine until I tried splitting any finished movie file (xvcd/vcd, GOP=0,GOP=1). It would split the first part perfectly fine, but when I tried splitting any part of the file that didn't include the begenning, TMPEGnc would freeze and lock up my computer after it processed the audio file. Also, I cannot merge files anymore. I'll try to merge two files together, and the program and computer will lock up at the same place, right after the audio processing and right before the multiplexing.

TMPEGnc worked perfectly fine until I started preparing XVCD files for DVD transfer. Now I cannot use the Merge/Split option in the mpeg tools at all.

I've tried deinstalling and reinstalling TMPEG (all versions), but this happens on all versions including a freshly installed one.

If there's just simple fix in configuring TMPEG, that would be great, because I would hate to have to install more programs to perform functions that this one is capable of doing.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Tmpgenc Only Officially Supports editing and Joining Files that were created useing Tmpgenc..And Running the Files through the Mpeg tools Does not do anything to the Gop structure, It might have stopped Tmpgenc DVD author From Complaining but It does not change the GOP Structure...I would Suggest you use a Real Mpeg editor like Mpeg2VCR.....

3. mad_cow

mad_cow Member

Thanks for the reply Minion,

Do you think that when I re-multiplexed the first movie from start to finish, it changed some settings in the program? If so, what settings and how do I change them back? All my mpegs are created through TMPEGnc, and all the TMPEGnc versions on this computer are affected. I'll give Mpeg2VCR a look and hope it's a little better, and hope that's it's free.

So far, I have a temporary fix. I have an unlocked template saved and will find a split point in the movie and simply encode each part of the movie separately in batch mode. This way I can maximize the encoding rate by making sure the movie half fills up the entire disc. The quality's awsome. I'll also change the GOP structure in the advanced settings to 1 so TMPEGnc DVD has no problems accepting the non-standard VCD.

It still bugs me that I'm limited in my use of TMPEGnc, and any additional comments and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.