1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPG troubleshooting

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by thellj, Jun 23, 2004.

1. thellj

thellj Member

Before I formatted my harddrive, I sucessfully converted avi to dvd using tmpgenc or whatever it is called, and I made a dvd out of the hours. Now I have a new hard drive and am running off of a scsi. I have downloaded every codec that I had before, and every movie I have on hand plays fine as an avi. When I go into tmpg to try and convert, it will only choose these avi's as the audio portion, and doesn't allow me to convert as video and audio as I did before. Thanks

2. thellj

thellj Member

haha. just kidding. I figured it out somehow. Sorry. I guess the admin can close this thread.

3. thellj

thellj Member

Alright I'm back. For a while I had the problem solved but it is back. I split my avi to make it smaller so that tmpg could convert it, but it still will not work. Anyone know any other technique to convert before tmpg? Thanks.

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Are you getting the "Can Not Open or Unsupported" error???
    This can be fixed by going to "Options" to "Enviromental Settings" to "Vfapi Plugins" and Raiseing the priority of the "Direct show file reader" to "2"..Now your AVI files should get loaded no problem.....

6. thellj

thellj Member

How about the fact that it won't do files longer than 3 hours? Is there a way around that besides splitting the avi? Thanks a lot guys.

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

I"m sure there is no 3 hour limit, it is Probably just a coincideance that the Movies it wouldn"t load just happened to be over 3 hours..In the time I worked for Tmpgenc doing tech support I have never heard of any 3 hour limit on source files...

Also Try useing V-Dub to frameserve to the source file to Tmpgenc, This works 100% of the time when trying to encode troublesome files with tmpgenc...
    You can also just use a different encoder cuz Tmpgenc can be a Little Buggy at times and It is definately one of the Slower encoders on the Market..
    You can achieve the same Quality in a third of the Time useing something like the MainConcept Encoder...

Also did you format your Drive to NTFS or Fat32 as Fat32 has a 4gb file size limit and tmpgenc will error out once the File it encodes has reached that size...

8. thellj

thellj Member

Thanks a lot, now I have a new problem, streched movies. No matter if I change the res through tmpg or not, it is streched vertically, I looked at all the guides, and it seems no matter what i do, it gets streched. any help please?

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

Stretched video happens when you do improper resizeing..
    You have to resize your Image useing the same aspect Ratio as the Source file and then add boarders arround the Image so it is a DVD Compliant resolution....

Why don"t you Post the Resolution of your Source AVI file and then I"ll tell you what resolution to resize the Image to without stretching it and how to do it with Black borders added....
    To find out the resolution of your AVI file just right click the file and go to "Properties" and then click the "Details" tab" and it should be listed in the Files information....

Also let me know if you are doing Pal or NTSC and if you will be encodeing to 16:9 or 4:3 ,You would use 16:9 if you have a widescreen TV set and you would use 4:3 on a regular TV set.....Cheers

10. thellj

thellj Member

640 x 304.
    ntsc

also, could u just tell me how i would know what to do if its a different resolution, like a basic layout of the ratios, or tell me the equation you use. it wont be on a widescreen tv, but it is in widescreen format, i think u can tell that by the resolution. thanks a lot man.

11. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi ,For a 640+304 source file you would resize it to 720+336 and add a 72 pixel Boarder on the top and Bottom...
    To do this in Tmpgenc you set the resolution to the regular DVD resolution of 720+480 but go to the "Advanced" Settings to were it says "Video Arrange Method" and set it to "Center(Custom Size)" and under that set the Resolution to 720+336...

Now when you encode the file you will end up with a widescreen looking movie with Boarders on the top and Bottom and with the Image Not looking stretched or squished.....

The way you can figure out aspect ratios is to use an aspect ratio calculator or what I use when I don"t want to sit and figure it out is to use Gordain Knot which has a part of the program used for calculateing resolutions and aspect ratios.....

Cheers

12. thellj

thellj Member

Hey, last time i will bother you. Can u just give me the conversions for these resolutions?
    640 x 272

Also, when I run tmpg to covert for avi, it take about 10 hours for a 2 hour movie, is this normal, or am I just doing it the slow way? I usually do it over night and just keep one other program running, could that be why its slow? Thanks.
    Thanks
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Yay[/small]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2004
  13. Minion

Minion Senior member

For an AVI file with a resolution of 640+272 you would need to resize it to 704+304 ,which would add an 88 pixel boarder on the Top and Bottom and a 8 pixel border on the sides....

Encodeing can take quite a while when useing Tmpgenc if you have a fairly slow PC and there are a couple of settings that you can set that will make it go a bit quicker....
    If you set the "Motion Search Precition" to "Normal" or "Fast" then that should speed it up somewhat, and try not to use any of the Tmpgenc filters in the advanced settings.....
    You can also try useing a faster encoder like the "MainConcept Encoder" which is at least 3 Times as fast as tmpgenc and just as good of Quality....

14. thellj

thellj Member

Aight, I appreciate all of the help, you are doing wonders for my inteligence. Anywho, was wondering if you could also help me with this problem, I got a video in avi format, but it was streched vertically on the computer. If I convert that to mpeg with tmpg and do the boreders will it squish it down, or do I need to use a seperate avi converter to change the resolution? Thanks a lot.

15. Minion

Minion Senior member

Are you saying that the AVI file is allready Stretched before encodeing??? If so you can try to adjust it in Tmpgenc"s "Clip Frame" settings....

In the "Clip Frame" settings you can stretch or squish the Video any way you want to so if the AVI is allready Stretched then you can try squishing it a bit till it looks normal....If you just fool arround with the Clip frame settings for a bit I"m sure you will figure it out....Cheers

16. thellj

thellj Member

Hey. Thanks for all the help. I downloaded Gordian Knot and tried to find the resolution calculator on there, but I could not figure it out. I have several movies to do, so i was wondering if there was another place to find it, or some sort of walkthrough for it on GK. Thanks a lot.

17. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, Well it is fairly easy to figure out ...You first run Gordain Knot and then go to the "Resolution" Page..
    On the Top Left you will see were it says "Input Resolution" and there are 3 choices and they are "Pal" ,"NTSC" and "Other"....
    You should select the "Other" option and then put in the Resolution of your Source file next to it...
    Now on the Bottom there is a section called "Output Resolution" that has a Slider that you can moove and as you moove it the resolution changes, so Just moove the Slider to the Right till the Horizontal Resolution gets as close to 720 as you can and when you have reached the closest number to 720 then you use that as your Resolution....
    The Slider changes the Resolutions gradually upwords while keeping the Original aspect ratio.....

Have the Numbers That i have given you so far for a couple of your Files worked out OK?? Well they should look OK...well anyways Now you know how to do it...Gordain Knot is also great for learning how to use AVISynth cuz Gordain Knot will write the AVS Scripts for you and AVISynth is one of the best Video manipulation tools there is but it is also hard to learn but Gordain knot makes it easier to learn...

Cheers