1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGEnc 2.5 + Video Length Issues

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Leokul, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Leokul

Leokul Member

I've been trying to put AVI files onto DVDs for quite some time but until I found this site, I didn't know how to do it.
    Now, i'm so, so close to finally getting it done, but there's only one thing so far that's stopped me...
    When I get to the 4th of the 5 stages of the Project Wizard in TMPGEnc 2.5, it says that my source movie is 297 minutes long.... which is 110 minutes longer than the movie plays in any other program. I ran through all the steps a second, third and fourth time, but even still, it says my video is 297 minutes long.
    Is it something that can be altered or fixed?
    Thanks,
    Leokul.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2004
  2. Minion

Minion Senior member

This is a Common problem with Tmpgenc which can usually be fixed by going to "Options" to "Enviromental Settings" to "Vfapi Plugins" and Raiseing the Priority of the "Direct Show File Reader" to "2" but if this still doesn"t work you can just set the Beginning and end points of the File useing the "Source Range" in the "Advanced Settings"...And remember when setting up your File to be encoded to Mpeg2/DVD choose the "Mpeg1 Layer 2" audio format instead of the default "LPCM" audio format because LPCM takes up to 10 times as Much Disk space as "Mpeg1 Layer 2" audio, so chooseing this Audio format will leave you More room for the Video which in turn will Produce better Quality cuz you can use More Bitrate to encode the Video....Cheers

PS: Did you also remember to decompress the audio in your AVI file??? Because if you don"t chances are that there will not be any sound in the encoded audio file.....
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]It"s better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On!!![/small]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2004
  3. Leokul

Leokul Member

I tried the first option... changing the "DirectShow Multimedia File Reader" to 2, and that still left the length at 297min.
    Initially, I tried changing the Source Range before I posted here, but when I did that, the darkened area of the bar that shows how much of the movie i've clipped doesn't play the video when I use the ">>" button to play the certain area. (It played fine before I had set the start/end frames)
    Which reminds me to ask, when you use the Source Range option, and you use the ">>" to play it, are you supposed to hear the audio? Because I don't...
    Which in turn reminds me to ask you (lol... too much inquisition, i'm sorry!) what you mean by decompressing the audio in the .avi file...
    Is there a program for that, or what?
    I read over the whole guide (http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm) on this site on how to do it, so i've so far used AVICodec to download my proper codecs, and AVIcodec says I check out Successful on all accounts.
    Then the guide says to use TMPGEnc and use the Wizard, but it didn't say anything about decompressing the audio...
    I'm sorry to ask so much, but the guide only got me so far, and i'm new to the process!
    Thanks a lot for your help!
    -Leokul

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Most downloaded Files have compressed audio and Tmpgenc doesn"t Like Compressed audio so you have to decompress it before encodeing the File to Mpeg...If you PM Me with your e-mail address I can send you a simple Tool that will Turn your AVI with Compressed audio to an AVI with Uncompressed audio and then you can encode that file with Tmpgenc and you will get sound...So if the Source Range works for getting the Correct length But you don"t hear any audio when you Play the File in the source Range then you should be able to hear and see it when you use the Decompressed audio AVI file..So PM me with your e-mail address and I will send you the "Decompress.exe" Program to decompress the audio....Cheers

5. Leokul

Leokul Member

Well now I think it's something wrong with my .AVI file... the Decompress won't work at all... it says, "Could not render Video stream!" for the video, then "Could not process file (filename here).avi!"
    Hrrrmmm... I dont know what's wrong... lol... seems like everything is going wrong!
    Well thanks for all your help already, but if you know of a way for it to work, then i'd be extremely appreciative!
    Thanks a lot!
    -Leokul

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well you can use Virtual-Dub to decompress the audio also, You Just run Virtual-Dub and then set the "Video" to "Direct Stream Copy" and then set the "Audio" to "Full Proscessing Mode" and then go to "File" to "Save AVI" and give it a Name and save it and then it will make a New File with Uncompressed audio but if Virtual-Dub gives you an error and will not display the Video then there could be something wrong with the file or you do not have the correct Codec installed...so see if Virtual-Dub will do it and if it doesn"t the write back with the error it gives you and we can go from there...You can download Virtual-Dub from here :
    Virtual-Dub-Mpeg2
    http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/VirtualDub-MPEG2.zip

Cheers