1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGEnc 3.0 xpress Settings

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by glenpinn, Sep 21, 2004.

1. glenpinn

glenpinn Guest

hi there.
    just started using TMPGEnc 3.0 xpress and DVD Source Crator 2.0 trials and need to know some basics on the settings to encode a 90 min low res avi video to 720x576 pal mpeg2 format.

i understand that "VARIABLE bitrate" does a 2 pass encode (slower and better quality) and CONSTANT does a single pass encode, and when i select either of these settings, the average video bitrate is on 4930 and the audio bitrate is pre-set at 1536 (cant alter it)
    is there really that much difference in quality between doing a VBR as opposed to CBR, and is it really that noticable (image and audio quality i mean)

i also tried selecting MPEG1 Layer 2 audio to lower the file output size and the video bitrate goes to 6250 and the audio bitrate plumets to 192, so is this not an acceptable setting for mpeg 2. and should i always use linear pcm audio for mpeg2, even if the file size remains higher.

another thing, why does TMPGE take twice as long as other encoders like MainConcept encoder and CinemaCraft basic, which will do the same 90 min encode in about 90 min, TMPGE will take about 180 min (all on a single pass encode)

i have used MainConcept and CCE basic, and both are dam fast and very easy to use, but i luv the TMPGE editor, and im thinking of buying the TMPGE 3.0 licence cos i think its worth the $58 just for the editor, but its a shame the encoder is slower, but once i do the cutting/merging etc, u have to encode the finished file, which is a bit slow, which is another reason i asked about the video setting (VBR or CBR) cos of the slow encode time on a 2 pass encode.
    btw, im not doing this stuff professionally, so its not that critical.

any help appreciated.....GLEN

BTW, am posting another thread asking about what encoding/editing/authoring software is best for my money, should be up soon.
    HERE IT IS http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/110356

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2004
  2. turkey

turkey Regular member

hey glen,
    there is all kinds of discussion about whether 2-pass encoding with Tmpgenc is worth waiting for. it is a subjective thing and i suggest you deside for yourself. the other Tmpgenc settings which you refer to are settings that would pertain to most any mpeg encoder...

VBR can be both faster and better quality then CBR, so i would always go with VBR. CBR is used for special circumstances.

in terms of audio encoding, 192 bps for mpeg1 layer2 audio is the standard for this format. the difference in audio quality from LPCM is negligable. and having such low audio bitrate allows a higher bitrate for the video. the final file size is calculated from the combination of both the video and audio bitrates. it is not recommended to capture to mpeg1 layer2 but you should always encode to mpeg1 layer2 (or Dolby Digital AC3 if possible).

lastly, it doesn't do any good to complain about how slow Tmpgenc might be. it is what it is. you could always frameserve your Tmpgenc edited files to the other faster encoders...

3. glenpinn

glenpinn Guest

hi turkey, fancy meeting u here :)

u must spend a lot of time here m8, i didnt wnt to bother u too much about the audio settings etc, i found some info in the DVD-Lab website about different settings for ntsc and pal formats in TMPGEnc.
    in TMPGEnc if u want to encode in mpeg2 and dont want to alter the settings too much (using the standard settings) u select the PAL-DVD option (or NTSC-DVD if u want ntsc) and u only select the MPEG option in the format list if u want to play with the settings etc.
    then i read that LPCM audio is only for NTSC-DVD, and MPEG1 LAYER 2 is used for PAL-DVD.
    i have been using the lcpm audio mode for most of my stuff, and have used the CBR as well cos it says that VBR does a 2 pass encode, which is probably better, but time consuming, but hey, what the heck, i got lots of time.
    i noticed in tmpge that the lcpm audio is set at about 1536 kbps, so now i see its too high as opposed to layer 2 for pal-dvd, which is about 150 to 200, and the video bitrate is much higher in layer 2 than lpcm, so your right.
    im actually writing a word file at the moment with all the settings required for encoding, and have a list of several programs that will do various bits relating to video capture / editing / authoring etc.
    do u guys in usa now have multi format dvd players, ie: they will play both NTSC and PAL without changing anything, or u still only run NTSC only.

thanks for your help again m8, seems like your the only one going to answer me anyway.

chat later m8.....GLEN

4. geforcefx

geforcefx Guest

hi m8, i use tmpgenc 3.0 xpress and find its ok. easy etc. but when iv encoded and author`ed with tmpgenc dvd author 1.6 they are only in (16.9) not full screen,,,,.use full quality settings for nstc....only had it a few days so a few tips from you guys would be a god send............many thanks !

5. glenpinn

glenpinn Guest

hi geforce.
    im a newbie at tmpgenc 3.0 xpress too, had a lot of tuition on here from turkey, thanks to him im getting pretty confident now.
    when u say your ntsc 16:9 is not full screen, did u not select DVD-NTSC setting that sets the resolution at 720x480 for ntsc full screen, maybe u had it set on a lower resolution if its not playing full screen ???? im not sure.
    as for me, im in australia, and we use DVD-Pal here, so when i select the ENCODE FORMAT setting, i select the DVD-Pal and set thr resolution at 720x576 for pal (ntsc is same width as pal @ 720, but lower height @480)
    did u buy the TMPGEnc bundle with 3.0 xpress encoder and DVD Author 1.6 cos that the ones i just got last night for $110 online. i now have the registered versions and am very happy with tmpge encoder, i luv the editing option, its great. i dont do much authoring myself, not really into adding all those pretty looking bits and pieces, i just encode my vids to mpeg-2 and copy the video file to a dvd-r disc using nero express, and my set top dvd player plays the video on my tv, thats all i need. ill use the authoring program to do some stuff for other people.

have a look at your settings again and see why its not playing full screen.

good luck, if u have any other probs, u can post here or send me a pm.....GLEN

6. geforcefx

geforcefx Guest

hi glen, this is were im a bit connfusied m8,....i will try and take ya through it......when youv added file.you get to clipinfo. its on here im stuck, RIGHT..under advananced clip settings,the bottom one is////////aspect ratio 1.1(square pixel) do you change this or leave it. surley it better to go for the hightest ratio i think it something like 40.11 for nstc and 16.11 for pal......or is it for a better quility...its nice if you can find out rather than just putting in on for 10-12 hrs and just seeing wat happens + once its burned and ya dont like it your stuck with it. iv got so many coasters doing this i could start my own coffee shop. hope you can understand this i have been going on a bit ........................by the way im from u.k and its pal over here...thx m8, hope to hear from ya soon !

7. glenpinn

glenpinn Guest

hi there.
    when u load your file, in the ADD CLIP box that appears, the aspect ratio should be "IMAGE 4:3" for pal, if u want to watch the video on tv via a set top dvd player.
    ill run by all the other settings when i get home from work today ok, dont just go encoding and authoring and find you got another coaster.
    turkey has been helping me out for a few weeks now, and even im just starting to learn this video stuff, but i have done a few vids on tmpge, and they all playback on tv, so i must have done something right.
    as for the higher the setting the better, no its not, ntsc uses 16:9 ratio for tv playback, pal uses 4:3, and i think the term "image" refers to tv somehow.
    ill get back to u later tonight ok.....GLEN

8. turkey

turkey Regular member

hey guys, it sounds like you could use some help.

aspect ratio is a setting that determines the shape of the pixels, where as resolution simply determines the number of pixels. such that the aspect ratio can be set independent of the resolution and therefore, is independent of the NTSC or PAL setting. a file that has 720x576 resolution can have a 1:1, 4:3, or 16x9 aspect ratio. an NTSC file does not ONLY use 16:9, a PAL file does not ONLY use 4:3, and the highest aspect ratio is NOT the highest quality...

geforcefx, your problem comes from the fact that you are changing the aspect ratio to a setting that is different then the aspect ratio of the original file. by changing the aspect ratio you are changing the shape of the pixels, so the size of the video screen is stretched or squashed. it sounds like 16:9 is the wrong setting for this particular file, you should use 1:1 or 4:3, however, 4:3 is the one that is DVD compliant, so use 4:3.

also, DO NOT run a 10-12 hour encode without testing the output first. set up and save your mpeg settings then only run the encode for 10 mins, then stop it. you can then browse to this test file and play it in Media Player or WinDVD or whatever to check to see if it is right. when and if it is right then go back and run the entire encode.

9. glenpinn

glenpinn Guest

hi there, thats why i said to select 4:3 ratio, cos thats the pal dvd compliant aspect ratio if u want to playback on tv at least, i have tried the 16:9 ntsc setting and my vids will play on my tv via a set top dvd player as its dual format and plays both ntsc and pal, but because we are pal compliant here in aust, i set all my vids at 4:3 ratio, and never had a coaster yet, all have played ok on tv, even the small res video clips i get from the net, they all encode to mpeg-2 at 4:3 ans play ok.
    turkey, im not sure if a dvd video encoded to ntsc format will playback on tv if u set the aspect ratio at 4:3 ????? never tried it myself, as ive always seen ntsc mpeg-2 as 720x480 16:9 and pal mpeg-2 is 720x576 4:3 ratio.......cheers.....GLEN

10. geforcefx

geforcefx Guest

yes thnx guys ,reading what you both said i understand it abit better now. dident think that every file/most file`s are different (res) e.c.t will give it a go and let you now how i get on..............................nice 1